Glenn's Underground Cabin Update

Started by glenn kangiser, January 30, 2005, 10:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveastrouk

Hi Glen,
Did you ever get the layout of your place drawn up ? I see by looking at the forum that you put a floorplan on paper,  but you have done clever things with levels too haven't you ? I'd really like to see how it all works !

Steve

glenn kangiser

I didn't get elevations done Steve and have to head out for another job now but will try to figure out a way to do that -maybe tonight.  It's hard to get this place on paper.  Don't know if I can handle  or have time for a 3d.

Briefly -Lower entry - utility Bath 3 are at -6" -

Great room 0'0" High ceiling there at 15'

Studio Apt -kitchen area- bath 1 - 1/2 bridge to bedroom -front porch except conversation pit 4'6" (conv pit floor   3'0")

Second half bridge and bedroom 8'0" -

Master BR bath room - 6'0"

Shop - roof top 16'0"

Top of green house 29'0"
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Here is the floor plan again

Note that the great room is no longer the front of the house.  There is a 24' long entry that we added and moved the utility room down there as well as added a future third bathroom.

That makes it 61 feet from the front of the lower entry to the back wall of the great room--- need to get back to work on that some day.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

New tire on the Bobcat today -- $300 down the drain but the tracks fit right now so hopefully won't damage the drive train again.

I rebuilt the jack hammer point - extended it to 26 inches again - was worn to 16 - normal about 24.  I used 2" solid pump shaft and it seems to be holding up well -- I hard faced the end of it too.  I think I have the east entrance to the back part of the shop nearly dug out now so maybe I can start the roof again. 

I have been kicking it around in my head -- lucky there is nothing there that can get hurt.... [crz] ...and for what I have to work with, I think I will reverse the slope  - maybe 1/12 pitch to the original gutter then cover with metal - that way I could use it for rainwater collection if I ever get that together.  The roof framing will be 4' x 18' foot boat docks with 4 foot wide 1 inch plywood in the 4' space I will leave between.  Gotta use low cost or free stuff here you know. 

The reverse slope will let me get light from the north but still keep it pretty well underground.

glenn kangiser

Last day of vacation, I have to make a move on the shop roof over the new excavated area.  I have dug out the entire major area on this side near the shop leaving some of the exit to the other side of the mountain area for later.  It is down around 5 feet but in hard rock so I figured the first section and getting a roof over it is a priority.

The boat dock sitting on the roof will be part of the roof section to go over the area going torard the exit tunnel.  It is 26 feet long x 6 feet wide.   The rest of the docks are 4 feet x 18 feet.  They will go over the room area to the east of the tunnel.

The 6 inch channels near the top are outriggers from existing framing to support the docks.  I will add additional supports on this side of the existing columns.  The docks will be spaced 4 feet with purlins on 2' centers to fasten metal roofing to.  4x10 beams of the docks will be  4 feet apart.  4x4 angle will support the port end of the docks being welded to the channels.  :)

The gutter you see will be a common gutter draining the old roof and the new roof.

glenn kangiser

Got quite a bit done today.  Decided to use power poles - had a lot of good cedar and treated ones here and don't have much big steel so wood it is.

Here I am taking in the beam that will support the boat dock roof.

It's nice having a little forklift to help with the light work.

The space where the forklift is sitting was a bit of a hill even with the strawberries on the left and the base of the tree on the right.  If the tree dies I will remove it and widen the room a bit more.  I think I may want to turn it into the bat cave.  [crz]

glenn kangiser

I stood the post up on a 3/4 pin drilled into the rock with a rotohammer and a matching hole drilled - loose fit into the bottom of the post.  I had long 3/4 all thread so used it for a pin.  The Bobcat bucket here was being used for a scaffold. 

I also put about a 2 foot all thread pin through the beam into the top of the post. 

I put braces from the claystone walls to the post using 60d nails and the palm nailer.

glenn kangiser

I got three boat docks installed on the roof and beam today.  Two are welded to the support angle.  All 3 are pinned to the beam log with 3/4 x 16" spikes.

As I am putting this together I keep getting different Ideas of how I will seal off the sides, tie it into the ground, camouflage it so it blends into the scenery without being noticeable and where it goes from here.  I was up on the top today looking at the way the tunnel turns as it goes through the mountain -- I think it will turn out pretty cool.

dra

It's taken me three evenings off and on, but I finally read through the past several years of your project. I have to say, I'm very impressed. Both with your house, your amazing tool collection, your frankly, unbelievable staying power, and how you handled that fire. It does me good to see someone stand up for their rights as written, in so many varied ways in one go. Just...be glad you didn't run into those officers OFF of your property with that weapon loaded. State law being what it is, and all. Constitution or not...The open carry law is rather irksome in this state.

I've wanted to build something rather like your home since I was..six? I think. Maybe younger. I've always had a obsession with living underground, even before I ran the Tolkien Novels. I'm planning on building a even more troglodyte home on the family land sometime hopefully soon in Nevada county. I rather seriously want to have a lower level that is completely buried bellow the ground, bellow the upper level that has windows to the outside, and not have the upper levels be as spread out...and I'm no where near as creative as you are with supplies or sculpture, so it will be a lot less pretty.

I know this is a rather...odd first question, but as I've been reading this I can't help but be curious about how you deal with your plumbing problems. Are your bathrooms at/above the surface point of your home? Or do you have long sewer and gray water pipes at a angle through the ground and out the lower end?

I've got most of my homes problems figured out, and I plan on using a variety of composting toilet, but I still need to figure out how to deal with gray water from showers and sinks.  Any advice on this would be most helpful.

glenn kangiser

Hi dra.  w* to the forum.

Carrying guns around here is pretty common and I have come in contact with lots of people wearing my gun when prospecting.  None I have encountered so far have even thought twice about it.  We have lots of dope growers and wild animals so as long as it is in the open it's not a problem here.  So far.  Mariposa has long been a bit of a wild wild West area.

From Wikipedia and agrees with my findings California is an

"Anomalous Open Carry States - In these states, open carry is generally lawful, but the state may lack preemption or there may be other significant restrictions.

Disclaimer: While state law may not prohibit the open carry of loaded firearms, it is not uncommon for law enforcement to be unaware of this fact. Especially in states with highly restrictive laws regarding firearms ownership, open carry, even though legal, could result in serious negative consequences.

Only the states of California, Iowa, Maryland, Minnesota, New Jersey, and New York have no mention at all of the keeping or bearing of arms in their state constitutions."

Everybody has guns around here.

Thanks for the compliments.  Staying power .....call it bull headedness and I had no fear of death.  One look and they didn't even bother to ask.  I sometimes get this intimidating air about me to where they know that hassling me is out of the question unless they are prepared to fight and they knew they were out of place.  It just took a little thinking before I decided that they were out of place and decided to let them know that they were.  I finally remembered that they were the public servants and I really didn't even have to threaten them.  I just gave them the look. [crz]

I really got a kick out of the girl from the Mail Boxes Etc. telling me the story going around about the crazy man on the mountain with guns and a tractor.  That made my day. :)  At least I would have died doing what I wanted to do. rofl

I had a fire fighter doing recon on Sunday looking for a road (Harry's) that needed water.  He read my signs and said - Hey , I want to sign your guest book too.  He loved it.

If you make mud and work with it the creativity will come out on it's own.  It's just fun to play in a whole Bobcat bucket or several full of mud.

All plumbing is conventional (sh-- runs down hill) plumbing -- the nearest to it would be a conventional slab on grade house.  I have my 1/4" per foot waste lines and separate gray water lines.   We use a normal septic tank and leach field chambers.  The south side of the cabin is open on the low level and the waste main line runs pretty well down the center and out.

Bathrooms are on the -6" (future but plumbed in) level, 4'6" level (apartment area) and 6' level (master bedroom).

The septic tank is at about the -2' level and the leach field is at about the -5' level.

My gray water is handled by the trees near the outlet.  Never an odor problem or unsightly water.  There are various ways to do it -- the county in thing is some kind of treatment area, but I haven't had a problem.  I plan on putting in a grease trap and then using the water for a flower garden later.  Grease traps are pretty easy to make.

Hey, thanks for taking the time to read my blathering. :)

glenn kangiser

Note that I would rather be in debt for tools and big toys than have to pay taxes on profits. d*

glenn kangiser

I had to go pick up blow pipe today as Harry has a well we need to try to clean out.

To make the trip to our other place worth while -- where the pipe was, I decided to pick up my lathe and a few other things.  This is the reason I am expanding the shop -- It is a bit large and I needed to get the wood tools out of there.

It weighs somewhere around 8000 lbs, rough guess.

Jackalope Hunter

:) :) Think some of those toys can be relocated to North Dakota..... :) :)

Glenn. Thanks for building this home... you are an inspiration.... Now when can I see it in real life....

Thanks for all that u Do.

Richard
STOP DIGGING.................The plans are upside down!!!!!!!!!!!

glenn kangiser

Richard, thanks for the compliment -- please feel free to drop in when you are in California.   The toys -- I am building to have the most toys when I die so I can win --- sorry -- they have to stay... [crz]

Jackalope Hunter

:)Careful what ya ask for..... as for the Toys my wife says I already have to many....... I have been asked if I plan on starting a machine shop... last time I had to move my shop........

Have you ever done a section drawing of your house that we can relate to the plan.... i understand all the datum elev... would like to see how the levels connect... Ramps, Stairs what..... I know when we do ours .. we will use ramps planning for the future... curved ramps like spiral staircases dont take up much room.

STOP DIGGING.................The plans are upside down!!!!!!!!!!!

glenn kangiser

I replied but sent it into outer space somehow.

I haven't done section drawings and it's pretty complicated for 3D programs.  I may do some sections pretty soon.  They would be easier.

PEG688

What ya gonna turn on that? Thats a big lathe  :o

Anyting you want right! rofl

Did you put some air in the trailer tires? They look a might low, you know what Obama siad aout tire pressure rofl

I don't think may lathe's quite as heavy,

:)
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

apaknad

hi glen,
man.. you are somethin' else. i have never seen someone with so many diff [coolerent large tools/toys. you make norm abrams look like a peewee football leaguer. i hope i get to meet you some day and we can play with some of that stuff. are you still panning on an annual B-B-Q to celebrate the end of the fire? [cool]
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: PEG688 on September 04, 2008, 09:17:01 AM

What ya gonna turn on that? Thats a big lathe  :o

Anyting you want right! rofl

Did you put some air in the trailer tires? They look a might low, you know what Obama siad aout tire pressure rofl

I don't think may lathe's quite as heavy,

:)

rofl [rofl2]   PEG, I think I'll throw  log in it and turn it for you.   I always get in a hurry and if the load is not real heavy I just kick all of the tires -- they got kicked all around for this one but that is only about 1/3 of the load I have had on that trailer - you are right - some could have used some air but I was carrying the spare so I knew I wouldn't blow one.  I only lose tires when I forget the spare. :)

That lathe will turn 26"dia x 96" inches long between centers (20" dia over carriage), however with a steady rest on the end I have turned 20" dia pipe 20 feet long for water well conductor casing.  Normal was 8 to 16" dia 4 to 5 feet long to trim ends and keep the well straight as pipe was added on. 

A key or something sheared inside so I have to fix that - someone used it in my absence or it just wore out but I'm pretty sure it's nothing major. d* 

Just had to get it up here.  I will likely convert it to a gas engine or overhead lineshaft drive like in the old days.  Short on power for a 7 horse 3 phase.  I may be able to get it running on my welder generator - not sure.  I have a home-made rotary converter but didn't bring it - out of room this trip.

I forgot about Osama's tire pressure remark -- he's right but - since it was him I think I will go let some more out. [crz]

glenn kangiser

Quote from: apaknad on September 04, 2008, 10:06:14 AM
hi glen,
man.. you are somethin' else. i have never seen someone with so many diff [coolerent large tools/toys. you make norm abrams look like a peewee football leaguer. i hope i get to meet you some day and we can play with some of that stuff. are you still panning on an annual B-B-Q to celebrate the end of the fire? [cool]

We will likely have an annual event for community awareness of the fire danger and recognition of the firefighters, so I will expect you to come and play with the toys, Dan. :)

glenn kangiser

Redoverfarm

The only downside if there is one that the bigger the toy the more it cost to fix them.  I try to keep it simple and when it breaks just throw it away and buy another one.

glenn kangiser

You don't have to remind me of that one, John.  Bobcat chain - $310, Labor assistance -trade rent $500 -- Bobcat tire $300 changed by myself.  I do most of my own repairs but sometimes call in help to get things moving.

The upside to this is not a lot have them and being a contractor I can pick up jobs with them.

The lathe - I have owned it for about 20 years and was considering buying a new smaller one  - with nothing to pay for it with - so decided just to bring the big one up and make it work - it is still very accurate.

PEG688

Did you load and unload it with that boom truck?

So now you have to get a motor or way to get-er fired up , D cells won't cut it eh  rofl :-X [frus]
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .