How Did You Save Money - Both Living & Building?

Started by MIEDRN, June 15, 2006, 10:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy Bob

Dude, of course they are great suggestions! At some time, some place, you will find most of them buried in earlier threads...but part of the great utility of the forum is just that, that good ideas keep recirculating, to remind us what we already know, and to instruct those of us that "ain't heard that one" before.

Actually, I meant you made great suggestions, and so did everybody else who has contributed.  I have rarely seen a forum with such an exchange of useful,  and amusing... I'm still picturing Glenn watching 100' of well casing attempting to achieve orbit  [smiley=grin.gif], information. Even recounting possibly embarassing anecdotes may save someone the time and expense of repeating such experiments.

My money saving tip of the day is to stay the heck out of gambling halls!(For some weird reason the forum won't allow c-a-s-i-n-o without the dashes[smiley=angry.gif])  I am tentatively slated to finally hit the road to AZ and small house building on next wednesday.  Meanwhile, my RV is still in the shop ( some things I'm too old and fat to do without a lift, anymore), and I'm stressing out from about a gazillion details involved in moving.  Solution?  Go and make a personal contribution towards reparations for whatever ills my ancestors may have committed against the local Native Americans.  I about contributed half a window schedule's worth. [smiley=undecided.gif] [smiley=angry.gif]
Bill

glenn kangiser

The spammers were using that word a lot, linking to those type of sites,  Billy Bob so we banned it -now their links won't work so they stopped. Something like you did is the way to do it.  
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

benevolance

Glenn the other way is to just pick all kinds of words you will not like.... 4 lettered words you know the ones... and instead of typing  glenn.. type.. g.lenn

Maybe we should take turns postinbg as fake spam posyers to keep you on your toes Glenn

Billy....One thing about good ideas, or ideas that work...Once we know something works we are all on board if it makes our life easier.

There are a couple amazing things about this site...One is that people share info freely....The other is...That we think so much alike.. common goals

jwv

QuoteI am tentatively slated to finally hit the road to AZ and small house building on next wednesday.  [smiley=undecided.gif] [smiley=angry.gif]

So, I looked back on your previous posts-you're going to St Johns AZ if I read right.  Have you been there?  We looked at land there several years ago-it's desert but not a bad place to be.  Lots of small town atmosphere.  What are you planning to build?

Judy
http://strawbaleredux.blogspot.com/

"One must have chaos in one's self to give birth to the dancing star" ~Neitszche

Billy Bob

jwv, I'm not sure if it will be St, Johns or Seligman.. I have property both locations.
I figure to get out there and poke around a bit before deciding.
I have both the Little House package and the Victoria's Cottage plans... figure I might build in one place to sell, and the other to live in.
I also have a good sized lot, 10+ acres near El Paso, but I don't think I would enjoy the summer climate much.  Another speculative land purchase. [smiley=smiley.gif]
Bill

davmitch1

Yep Freecycle Rocks We have gotten a pop up camper & truck camper shell from there

n74tg

QuoteBenevolence wrote:
One thing I have done for years and years is drive around and look at the windows, door frames and  dimensions of people's houses and Garages....If you see something you like...Take the Sketch pad with you...Draw it! make some notes.... I have knocked on a lot of doors asking people for descriptions of a shop if they are in the process of building it....

I keep my digital camera (and a spare set of batteries) in the car ALL the time.  Between that and a tape measure I can dimension and document most anything; and do it quickly.  I've had my digital cam now for 2-1/2 years and snapped 3600 pictures; 2,500 of which are building project related.  I've seen all kinds of interesting homemade building jigs at constructions sites that I might like to have in the future.  With a few pics I can build any of them.  If I choose not to build it right now, I KNOW where the data is stored so I can find it easily in the future.  

The other day I was driving down the road following a pickup truck with a trailer loaded with lumber scraps.  I followed them to the city dump and asked if I could have some of the larger pieces if I'd help them unload the trailer.  Long story short; I got probably a dozen full length 2x4 and 2x6 up to 16 feet long, dozens of shorter pieces up to six feet long and quite a few half sheets of OSB and plywood.  The big stuff will go into my housebuilding project; the smaller stuff is there for when I need to build something quick.    

Your winter window screens (with glass) remind me of my house when I lived in South Dakota.  And yes, they worked well.  

MIEDRN

I've contacted freecycle to start a chapter in my town, hopefully I'll hear soon. I'm not sure how this will work since I'll be traveling for the next few months but we'll see. Hopefully someone as excited as I am about the idea will offer to be moderator in my absence!

My son does drywall for a living and I'm going to ask him to make it known that I'd like materials. I see he has quite a few of the tools I asked about in another thread. I hadn't seen his garage in quite a while so he gave me a tour! It's about filled, perhaps buying tools won't be as expensive as I thought.

I let my apartment go last fall......I'm a travel nurse. Three years I was on the road and my kids spent more time there than I did. I've been "home" for a few months now and I'll tell ya, it's nice to visit the family but I sure as heck am eager to get back on the road. It had been a while since I had spent any time with the family. They said, "Hey Mom, don't ya think it's about time you settled down now?" LOL Four married sons, I thought the best thing I could do is travel for a while........let them grow roots, ya know?

Anyway, the point is....I'll probably be traveling for the next six or nine months, housing paid for........when I come back next spring, I should have enough saved to buy the land and get started.

Why knows, maybe I'll just keep traveling and my kids can do it..........my sons the construction and the daughter in laws the decorating.........NAH.....just kidding! :)

Thanks everyone for your input. Sincerely appreciate it!

n74tg

MIEDRN:

Two things:
1. While traveling, are you gonna stay connected to the forum?

2. My daughter is a nurse.  She investigated doing the traveling nurse thing.  We talked about a traveling nurse assignment to Alaska for the winter; where she said she would make a boat-load of money.  Have you ever considered that?  It might make it MUCH easier to build your house on return.

MIEDRN

I make sure I have internet access while traveling. The internet is how I locate contracts so it's essential! I check locations, hospitals and companies reputations online. I've been without for a week or so while cable or the phone was hooked up but I can take care of that with wireless now.

I've thought of Hawaii for the fall/winter but the rates are low. Maybe after I get the house built! Typically, southern Cali, Hawaii and Alaska aren't the highest rates. To be honest, the best rates have been in New Hampshire and central and northern California that I've found. Michigan isn't a compact licensure state so I have to limit my travels to walk-through states or states I'm already licensed in.

New Hampshire isn't an option this time around. I would be looking at ending a contract in the fall and when I was there last time, it was 30 below. Not too bad actually, I just kept counting the pennies. I then went to Arizona where it was 130 in the shade. I think I did the seasons backwards.......but that's where the money is usually.

Sometimes I don't know from one day to the next where I'm headed. Makes for an interesting life but does get old after a while. I thought I was finished traveling until I ran across this forum again. It's the fastest way I know to make money..........so off I go! It will take a week or two to get a contract finalized........but ya never can tell! Could be tomorrow.

I wouldn't mind going south either.........but have to be careful of the rates there also. I'll probably end up in North Dakota or somewhere cold for the next six months. My luck! :) We'll see.

If she's truly interested, there is a learning curve. Unfortunately, I've learned that healthcare is big business and most managers, recruiters, etc. will tell you anything to get you to that assignment. Nurses get burned regularly, we rarely think of healthcare as business. I was stranded in Cali last winter, you have to be careful who you travel with and have money to back you up.

There are a few websites that would help her. Email me through the forum if you want the urls.

MIEDRN

One more thought.........this forum is my encouragement. I've read stories here that I couldn't believe and it has truly convinced me that I can do this.

There is a link on one of the pages about a man walking with canes who built a cabin together with a blind man and John added the comment, "so what's your excuse?"

I think I'll frame that to take with me!

Also the story that was just posted about the 21,500 house. My dreams aren't so impossible after all.

Then there was the teenager who did it.......the almost unbelievable stories never end and it's truly inspiring.

Yeah, I'll be logging on regularly. All of you inspire me.

glenn-k

We also have a member in a wheel chair who with some assistants has built his house, done great designs and I'm sure is the spark plug for his building projects.

MIEDRN

So what's my excuse, right? Everytime I think I can't accomplish this, I'm encouraged by people here. Size, gender, strength or physical conditioning shouldn't be a factor if you're determined enough!

But I have to tell ya........I'm visiting my son now where the lawn mower incident occured. My grandson Benny said, "Nonna!!!" and runs up to meet me. He then said, "You're not going to mow the lawn again are you?" LOL

He's 7. It does have a humbling effect on me! :) We had a good laugh about that but he said he was real scared!

jonseyhay

You should have told him "lawn mowing is too dangerous" so you are going into heavy construction next, and he can come and hold the ladder. ;D

bil2054

You're a b-a-a-a-d man, Jonesy! [smiley=smiley.gif]

Hey, I thought of another way to save money today, and was actually doing it when I realized it.  You don't have to spend a bunch of money on entertainment, at least around here in the summertime.  We went to the Deep River Ancient Fife and Drum Corps Muster today.  Parade started at 11:00 AM, and when we left around 9:00 PM. the informal jam session after the presentation sets was still going strong.  Take a picnic lunch, and there's most of a day at no charge.  There's a lot of towns have free concerts on the green, etc.
You can usually find plenty of stuff in the Community section of you local paper.  Why spend $10.00 or so on some Hollywood junk, when like as not there's a free (or nearly) museum in town?

This is assuming, of course, you feel the need and have the time.   I reccommend making the time... you'll feel better for the occaisional outing.

[smiley=wink.gif]

ShawnaJ

Being military we have some advantages that other folks don't.

We actually moved from a small rental house into brand new rent free military housing in January, the money we used to spend on utilities now goes towards the mortgage on our second 7 acres.

The campground we stay at when clearing/building only charges us 1/2 price with our military discount.

We have a Habitat for Humanity ReStore, folks that remodel or contractors donate the old or leftover stuff, we can get windows, doors, sinks, tubs, tile, wood, hot water heaters, furnaces, and furniture for a faction of the retail price. Yesterday they had several ENTIRE kitchens in there, ranging from a really nice white cabinets with green marble counters at 3500.00 (included everything but the fridge) to just regular wooden cabinets with formica counters at 275.00 (included the stove and dishwasher)....we are buying all of our doors, windows, sinks, and tubs there, one at a time. Probably some cabinets and appliances as well. They also had several brand new Anderson windows still in crates.....

They have two red bathroom sinks for 10.00, I love bright colors and am thinking of going back for one...  :-*

We research the cost on anything major we buy and if I can get it used in good shape I will buy it. Being military someone is always moving and getting rid of stuff they just don't want in their new place, or the kids have outgrown, so there is always stuff in good shape that we can get for next to nothing.

I pay cash for everything, keep the credit card for emergency only, like a hurricane, so if I don't have the cash I don't buy it.

Coupons, Coupons, Coupons

We just spent 5 days at Disney World with the whole extended family, paid cash, used some coupons we had for Universal Studios and some freebies we get from the military (like Sea World was free for active duty military and up to three guests) Since we used cash only we knew how much we could spend and came home with money left over. My sis in law used her credit cards, totally overspent and will be paying for the trip for months...

My father in law remarked that Sea World was his kind of park, he got in free plus he got free beer at the Beer pavilion.....the guys all went golfing on the WDW resort on a discount for military...all in all it was worth it.

Checking accounts with no fees, Wal-Mart brand products or grocery store sale items, grow some of my own vegetables on the patio....and pack the freezer full of summer vegetables and shrimp we catch with our net....we always have a good meal for the crock pot in the winter....keep the cars running good to avoid bigger more expensive problems....

MooseMtnMama

We are building in a rural/small town area in NE Washington State.  My biggest advice is "Meet the Locals!".  My BIL has lived there x25 years and knows everybody, so we have gotten great deals on the foundation, lumber at the local lumber yard, roofing.  We even made friends with the guy at the dump, who ended up giving us a key to the private scrap yard out back to haul the 3 car skeletons from our 40 acres.  We have made friends with a guy down the road who will let us haul water from his well for now.  He lived a couple years hauling water from another neighbor, until he got his own drilled.  Kind of a pay it forward thing going on....
Plus many of the "locals" are quite the characters, fun to meet and get to know, ;D
So go slow, we plan to live off a plywood sub floor until I find my tongue and groove heart pine flooring, and use card tables and milk crates in the kitchen until I find my Hoosier cabinet and vintage farm sink.
Hope this helps!
Moose Mtn Mama

Why do I want 40 acres on a mountain?  'Cause I can't afford 140 acres! [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]
Why do we want 40 acres on top of a mountain?  'Cause we can't afford 140! :)

keyholefarmhouse

Some place cold like ND.  Apparently your not going there in July.  ND is my next go to state once I'm priced out of the area I'm currently moving to.  I tend to stay just ahead of the price curve.
Catch nine pounders

Miedrn

no, not going to ND. I have a contract right here in Michigan that I will be starting next week.

The reason I said "cold like ND" is because even though it's July, contracts are frequently extended for another three months which would put me into winter.

Sometimes I get too chatty and have to remember this isn't a travel nurse forum! Threads might be kinda hard to keep up with if you don't have time to read them all.

I'll try to keep the subject to building from now on! :)

MooseMtnMama

I couldn't resist.......I am also an ER/ED RN....please come to Eastern WA and help us out!  We need good, intelligent, and pioneering nurses.  I could also give you some cabin building hints whilst you're here.  We just finished framing (in 5 days!!!) and have a roof (metal, as of this weekend, record breaking high temps-105+).  I'll have to admit, the roof was contracted out, when I saw my BIL swinging from the rafters, harness or not, I decided it was time to spend some money.   ;D

I can't figure out how to post pics, or I'd be in there with other folks showing off our latest accomplishments.  Have been paying close attn to siding, ceiling, flooring and wall-ing threads.

Moose Mtn Mama (also known as NurseBeth in other venues)  ::)
Why do we want 40 acres on top of a mountain?  'Cause we can't afford 140! :)

glenn kangiser

What is it about CountryPlans and nurses -- I think we have a corner on the market-- not that I'm complaining. :)

Picture posting help is in the Forum News section -- Here's a link.

http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1115032671/0#0

We hope to see some pix of your progress soon. :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Miedrn

Unbelievable! :)

Nurse Beth:

There are four nurses here that I know of and possibly more just lurking! As a group, we are probably somewhat more adventurous than others. I can't explain this any other way.

Framing in five days? That's fantastic! I can picture it taking me months to get that far! I'm trying to think my way through the building sequence now and it's not easy at times.

I was in Fresno and also at Palo Verde in Blythe last winter and will be looking for another contract in October. Washington might be an option, I certainly wouldn't rule anything out at this point.

We could have our own little reunion or get together with all the nurses on the forum. It would be fun and we certainly have a lot in common.

Good luck to you and please post pics as soon as you can. It's very encouraging for us. A link to a blog would be helpful as well if you have one! If I were there, I would help you finish it!

Glen:

We'll have to have our own little area on countryplans if this keeps up! I might have to start another thread:

What is it about nurses and building? :)

glenn kangiser

I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Which hospital in Fresno?  Sassy is at the VA in Fresno -- ER.

You can start a nurse thread in the off topics --and rants---  if you want -  :)

jwv

OK, I'm going there to check.

Welcome, Beth (MMM)!

Judy
http://strawbaleredux.blogspot.com/

"One must have chaos in one's self to give birth to the dancing star" ~Neitszche

CREATIVE1

O.K., not a nurse, but with a few ideas to add to this incredible thread!  

I worked with a psychologist in the early 90's and prepared a number of talks on the psychology of money.  The first thing we did was analyze our own spending habits.  Ouch!  I have always been frugal, but found out that I was too eager to spend in some areas.  (Like my girlfriend who uses vaseline and newspaper bags on her hands at night instead of something saner (Hello, petroleum product) but will buy ANYTHING with a coupon and then give it away if she can't use it.)  Interesting.....

Money doesn't define us, but we define ourselves by how much we make or save.  Money is just a tool and a resource, but is used to emotionally batter your spouse, temporarily cure depression, etc., etc.

I have, through too many years, come to the conclusion that I want experiences, not things.  Thinga are a trap, especially when you move.  And we are--3,000 miles.  Brings up alot of issues about inherited mahogany furniture that will look truly odd in a cabin in the woods.  Time to rethink alot of things.

On saving money:

Don't ever believe that price equals quality.  I found out a couple of years ago just how cheap it is to manufacture vitamins and other health products. Totally offensive! Now I go to www.herbalcom.com and mix my own green drinks--barley, wheatgrass, beet powder, apple pectin, etc.--for about $6.00 a pound.  Read STALKING THE WILD ASPARAGUS and eat along with the bunnies and squirrels.  Preserve food like the indians.  Actually there is no limit to what you can do--and some of it is actually fun.

Years ago we bought a $300 Volkswagen van, fixed it ip with aspenite, homemade indian basket curtains, handcrafted bed and dresser, and took off from Florida to Colorado, Wyoming, and New Mexico for five weeks.  Everyone was betting that we wouldn't make it, but we did.  To save money, I didn't buy a new washing machine when my old old one broke.  Took the trip instead--what a trade!

Please keep sending your ideas, all.  This is a GREAT thread.  I'd say more, but you already have.