My Favorite, Most Fun to Use, Tool

Started by MountainDon, November 29, 2011, 12:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

We've had a few different topics on tools over the years.  While cutting my way through a clump of standing dead trees yesterday I realized we've never had a "Most Fun to Use" tool topic.

My favorite hand held tool is one of my chainsaws*.  :)  Even when the fun is interrupted by a tree getting hung up in the branches of another (because there are too darn many trees!) it's fun resolving the problem. 

My most fun to use stationary machine tool would be my wood turning lathe.

What's yours?

* Husqvarna 440 and 445, 16" bars. Don't need anything bigger (and heavier); this weekend I cut the largest diameter tree in five years, an 18 inch pine. It was dead otherwise I'd of had no reason to cut it.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

new land owner

My favorite is the Kreg Jig.  I have used it for the frame on my screen house and now am using it to build the face frames for my cabinets.  Many uses for a good tool!

Woodsrule

Mine is my drawknife. I can create round tenons for my Adirondack furniture, de-bark logs and sticks and complete many other general woodworking tasks. Gotta keep it razor sharp though; a dull drawknife is dangerous!

MushCreek

My .357 is my favorite hand tool!

Referring to actual tools, I guess it would be my Gransfors-Bruks Small Forest axe. It is so well-made and effective.

For power tools, it would have to be a lathe, metal or wood. I'm still fascinated running one, after 35 years in the business!
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Erin

My jigsaw.

It seems like 90% of the time when I'm using a jigsaw its for the creation of something fun and enjoyable rather than utilitarian.

In that same vein, my band saw is my favorite stationary tool. 
The wise woman builds her own house... Proverbs 14:1

Ernest T. Bass

The little 3' tape measure I keep in my pocket...

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

Don_P

I was talking to a log builder the other day, his favorites are his axes, mine would probably be the sawmill. Both turn a tree into a useable timber. There's something primal in primary processing, lots of potential is unfolding. My wife claims I brought up a board every day for the first few weeks after setting up the mill, would point to it and say "was once round"  ;D.

NM_Shooter

"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

muldoon

I operated one of these excavator/trackhos almost every day back when I was in my late teens and early 20s. 
That was the most fun tool I ever used. 

TheWire

A 12" radial arm saw.  I built my own log home and used the saw extensively.  I cut half logs, 4x6 window trim, round tendons on railings.  I look at some of the complex cuts I did and have to think back as to how in the world did I set that saw to do that.  :o

Native_NM

My 18V impact driver sure makes short work of driving screws.
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

considerations

Palm Nailer!  No more mashed thumbs from swinging a hammer at an awkward angle or excessive hits on overhead nails.  c* (Earplugs assumed)

Jeff922

Stanley #80 scraper plane.    It feels, sounds, and smells nice.   :D
"They don't grow trees so close together that you can't ski between them"

duncanshannon

I still love my framing nailer / compressor combo!
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

BigBoy

New guy here and first (maybe only) post.  ::)

My favorite tool would be my tractor with the root grapple on the front-end loader. I can rake up roots, brush, rocks and other smaller items with it then I can pick up and carry large items like logs and beams and set them up to about 8-9 ft high. And have a ball doing it!

Gary O

Well, darn near every tool I have (or don't have) is my favorite, but my screw gun is the one most used, even though my framing nailer is a close 2nd.
However, the one that has kept me from boogering up finish work has been my brad nailer. It gets in those cramped, tight places and greatly compliments my lack of patience with tiny hammers, needle nose pliers, and thumbs (all ten), while back spasms taunt.

But, I could still survive with assorted hammers. However, my 12" sliding compound miter saw and stand has made my life most pleasant, most pleasant in deed.
I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

rick91351

After gluing and nailing all these....

My new favorite tool click on image to veiw..................

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

akwoodchuck

"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."

Jimbo Ricketts

my set of brand new jet sweats the old 1's started to leak by . wish i knew how to work this devil box i'd post photo . :-[
no mam that's not the crack of my *$$ , its a plumbers pencil holder

rick91351

Quote from: akwoodchuck on September 15, 2013, 10:02:16 PM
I love my snow shovel :)

w*  Welcome from Rick and Ellen up in Idaho.  Your snow shovel looks a lot like an old grain scoop shovel.  I myself have used one as a snow shovel myself.  Nice snow by the way.  Where at?  How about the house / cabin?   c*
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

akwoodchuck

Quote from: rick91351 on September 16, 2013, 05:12:36 AM
w*  Welcome from Rick and Ellen up in Idaho.  Your snow shovel looks a lot like an old grain scoop shovel.  I myself have used one as a snow shovel myself.  Nice snow by the way.  Where at?  How about the house / cabin?   c*

Hi guys, I used to live in Idaho myself....been awhile, but I sure love that place. Pic is of a cabin I built on 3 acres in a semi-remote part of coastal Alaska...started out 16'x16' then added 10' more....13' balloon-sidewalls, rough-cut spruce framing, treated post foundation, CDX siding with battens (painted later), salvaged doors, windows, roofing, tub, woodstove, etc....

"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."

UK4X4

Love the upstairs winter access door !

knightbuild

Before I opened this thread, my first thought was that my favorite tool has to be one of my chainsaws.  They can be extremely brutal and destructive, and two seconds later, intricate and subtle.  Always been a Stihl fan myself.  As far as a more construction oriented tool, that would have to be the framing square.  After actually learning all the different functions I realized what an amazing tool it is.

FarmerBill

My splitting maul has got to be my favorite. I love everything about splitting wood.
Most useful would be my 32hp Kubota 4x4 with front end loader. We have bigger tractors on the ranch, but I use that tractor for something everyday.