Tooling up for the job...

Started by achildofthesky, November 30, 2005, 10:18:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy Bob

Lots of good information in this thread!
I love Harbor Freight!  I have never had a problem with their fibreglass handled hammers, for instance.  I also bought a pancake compressor and nail gun, which so far have worked great.  I would not, however, buy their cheap combination wrenches; as cheap as I am, some things you can't "economize" on.
Sears is a good source for many tools. I found the Craftsman "Quantum Pro" circular saw and variable speed 3/8" drill motor a good value.  Also like the fact you can get warranty exchanges on the spot.
I've had variable luck with Ryobi tools;  love my reciprocating saw, but burned out a 3/8" drill motor rather quickly.  I'll be looking at their tablesaw, fer sure.
One "essential" tool in my opinion is a set of good quality wood chisels, kept scarily sharp.  I like English ones, for some reason... can't say why.  Best quality in any cutting bit, blade, etc. pays off.  
Bill

Daddymem

Storage stacker and Bucket organizer Scroll down to "Buy Both and Save"
Utility knife
Plier set

-$3.00 (automatic witht the buy both and save)
-$10.00 Code: FREEKNIF
-$8.00 Code: SHEFELDQ42K5

$10.94 Shipped free

Daddymem

Builder's Tool Bag
3 Piece Multi-function Tool and Knife Set
Folding Lock Back Utility Knife
2 Piece Antique Tool Set

Codes:
FREESHEF
FREEKNIF
SHEFELDQ42K5
$48 in savings

$12.00 shipped free

You may not be able to get the multi tool set OOS
There are comments that some of the tools have been arriving scratched so Caveat Emptor.  I got the anitque set (above deal) back before Christmas during the combo madness back then and mine were in perfect shape.  Even without the multi tool, the bag alone should be worth your while at $12.  Now only if I had hit that compressor deal.... :(

Dustin

Act now, and you can get the same Porter-cable Compressor deal I got, but you only have until the end of day tomorrow. Amazon is having a $50 off $250 or more deal again until end of day MAR 6. I only noticed it cuz I was checking out your deals.
Here's the compressor combo: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000DCBKX/qid=1141616553/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/102-6264620-4448910?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=228013

And here's the terms of the $50 off deal:
Special Offer--Through March 6, 2006: Take $50 off your purchase of $250 or more of items in our Tools & Hardware Store. Use promotional code 50OFFMAR at checkout. Offer applies only to purchases of products sold by Amazon.com. Offer must be redeemed at our Web site, http://www.amazon.com, toward the purchase of products sold by Amazon.com. One per customer. This offer can not be combined with other offers on the site.

$289- $50 = $239, no tax, free shipping.

Dustin

Oh wait! It gets better! Look further down below on the same page as the combo and you see:
Best Value
Buy Porter-Cable CFFN250N Finish & Brad Nailer... and get Porter-Cable BN200A 18 Gauge, 2" Brad Nailer Kit as a gift with purchase!
Porter-Cable CFFN250N Finish & Brad Nailer Combo Kit       Porter-Cable BN200A 18 Gauge, 2" Brad Nailer Kit       Total List Price: $772.00
Buy Together Today: $289.00
You Save: $483.00

I tried to do it with the $50 coupon code and it worked in combination.  You won't see all the discounts applied till the very end before you hit confirm. So you get get the combo with two nailers and get another nailer free for the same price! Sweet! This is better than the deal I got earlier.

You get it all for $239.

Daddymem

That's pretty much been the deal for just over a month...with the exception of a $139 (exact package) a couple weeks ago...that's the one I missed  :(

Daddymem

Someone here suggested the Little Giant type of ladder.  Here is the Werner MT-13 for $99 shipped.
Features:
   * Professional grade hinges for scaffolding use and storage case included
   * Adjusts to stepladder heights of 3, 4 and 5 feet
   * Adjusts for extension ladder heights from 7 to 11 feet
   * Heavy Duty Type 1A, 300 pound duty rating
   * Extra wide flared bottom for firm support
Not tall enough for the big jobs, but useful for the just out of reach stuff I suspect.

The first review provides enlightenment on the Little Giant hinge patent for those interested.

Amanda_931

I have an 18-20 year old Little Giant (still, I think, made in Utah) quite a bit taller than the knockoffs (17-20ft), that's been through hell including heat from a fire--if not
[size=36]                                        the fire[/size]

Still sturdy.

But good grief, it's heavy.

Daddymem

Woot!  Our Framing nailer and compressor came in today!  Wow, a little bigger than I imagined but I feel like a little kid... :D
Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/

glenn kangiser

Cool, Daddymem - now after you fire it up be sure your fingers are not within bounce distance as you start shooting nails.  Many times the nail gun will fire again on a bounce so always keep that in mind.  Mine has shot two unsuspecting hands --other than that--have fun with it. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

achildofthesky(Guest)

Hey again;

Been helping a friend with putting down the decking for his new house and while I can't remember who advised about getting a air nailer, they were absolotely right, it is a necessity in my book now. Makes the job go so much faster. Another fine tip from this forum. I have pondered doing more than just one house in the future due to the ideas and support here, thanks to all.

Also like the foam block/cement form thing he used for the foundation and walls. A little pricey but quick and good insulating properties. We had several tornado's here in NW Arkansas recently and having the poured reinforced concrete walls really seems pretty to be hell-for-stought and not a bad idea if you can afford it. He is building a huge house and I am getting some of a OJT on my upcoming project and getting alot of long dormant muscles a workout.

Thanks again all
Patty

glenn kangiser

Sounds great, Patty.  Another Countryplans success story.  

I'm getting ready to do an ICF block basement soon.  My cousin was just here.  He's the one who clues me in on ICF's.  He does a lot of them. He likes Reward Blocks - usable right side up or upside down - don't get ice cubes in the top in cold weather when building the wall - blocking the holes for the next layer - can be cut in half and both halves used rather than throwing away 1/2 in odd wall heights.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Daddymem

Another Amazon Nailer deal:
Porter-Cable CFBN125N 6 Gallon, 2 Nailer Combo Kit
PLUS
Porter-Cable BN200A 18 Gauge, 2" Brad Nailer Kit With Buy Both and Save
Price: $229.99 with free shipping
Minus: 10% with Code: 10PCTSAV (Exp. 3/20)
Total: $207 shipped

East of the Mississippi?
Try an Estwing 22 oz E3-22S (Searh for 166042) for $15.00  Just print out the page, bring to store and ask for them to honor the price, we got two.

Happy framing!
Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/

Amanda_931

I do like Estwing hammers.

but a short-handled 20 oz is about my limit.

(has anybody tried the titanium jobs--light weight, long handles--how do your elbows feel after using one all day)

PEG688

(has anybody tried the titanium jobs--light weight, long handles--how do your elbows feel after using one all day)

I got one , I tend to use that Stanley glass handle one more , but for pure framing the the Stillito is good.

That Stiletto Titanium cost me like $80.00 bucks  :o a few years back they're a little less now , Would I do it again,

Ya I'm a sucker for tools, and  hammers might be a weakness :-[

Elbows feel ok  :)some times other stuff hurts :( , generally it all hurts some and I'm  just flat tired by Friday :-X

PEG :)
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Amanda_931

(prices are going up again--titanium just took big jump in price I gather)

I had a boss once who liked those Stanley's the best of all.

But I do hear you on buying new tools.

JRR

GASOLINE CHAIN SAW.

I've never owned a Poulan product, but know folks who swear by them.  Anyways, Costco now has a 18" Poulan 44cc chain saw for $160.  Positive gear lubrication for the chain/bar.  

Comes with carrying case, gloves, ... even an extra chain.

glenn-k

On another forum, a framer called a chainsaw a framers best friend.  I agree especially since most of my framing is rustic or logs.  I like the electric ones for framing but well worth it to go high quality.  I went through 2 Remingtons in 2 years. Now have a Stihl electric.  For the big jobs I have a Stihl and a Husquavarna - both great saws also.  

Jimmy_Cason

I stopped in a Harbor Frieght Retail Store this weekend and decided to buy this. 259.00
The sale price was 169.00. As I was waiting in line to pay, The guy in front of me said to get the 10% off coupon in the advertisement paper near the door. I did as he said and got the 10% discount! What a deal! I have been afraid of buying Chicago Brand Tools but the store said they have a 30 day money back guaranty and chicago tools has a 90 day. I figure if I get that much time out of it I will have saved myself that much money in time alone!

12'' SLIDING COMPOUND LASER GUIDE MITER SAW  

Sliding compound miter saw gives you extra cutting capacity. It is more accurate and convenient than a radial arm saw.
Laser cutting guide for super-accurate cuts
Heavy duty 15 amp motor
Cutting capacity: 12-3/4'' x 4'' @ 90 degrees, 12-3/4'' x 1-15/16'' @ 45 degrees
Makes miter cuts to 45 degrees left and right, bevels to 45 degrees left
Easy-to-read miter scale with nine positive stops left Comes with 100 tooth carbide tipped blade, dust bag, machined aluminum fence, table clamp; 120V, 15 amps, 1800 watts, 60 Hz; Table size: 22-3/4''L x 6-1/2''W; 4100 RPM; Overall dimensions: 34-1/2''L x 22-7/8''W x 26-1/4''H; Tool weight: 44 lbs.

ITEM 91852-2VGA
$259.99

$179.99  

glenn-k

I think it will probably give you pretty good service, Jimmy.  I've used a lot of Harbor stuff over the years and most of it does pretty well.  Even DeWalt won't stand up to the abuse I give it sometimes.  I had a Makita die grinder bad from the factory - intermittant - sent to the shop -came back "fixed"  - right - same problem in a couple minutes - took it apart myself and found a friction clamp wire connector under the switch had lost it's grip on the wire - pushed it in - no more problem -- so even name brand tools can have their problems.

peg_688

Typical day

Ready for just about anything 8-)

PEG

Amanda_931

I do appreciate the way you've rounded the corners of your various pieces.  

(edges with sharp right angles are yet another of my pet peeves--barked various portions of my anatomy on plenty of them)

harry51

Another caveat about air nailers: When assembling small projects, use clamps, not fingers, or at least keep fingers WELL CLEAR of the nail location! There is sometimes a great temptation to hold a piece of wood in position and nail it with the brad or finish gun. Problem is, a little wild grain can cause the nail to come out the side of the board, or some other unexpected area, right where you have a grip on it!  It's a very rude awakening when it happens, and could be nasty if a nail went to the bone.

glenn-k

Guess what I did--- More barter ---that's what.

I got an older one of these.  Not the old fellow---the Shopsmith. :)

http://www.shopsmith.com/index.htm

I moved a 10' x 16' building back onto its foundation after it was washed about 1/2 block away after a flood last winter.  I got the shopsmith and a few bucks for my helper.

I've always been interested in these but never enough to spend the money to buy one.  Occasionally they will be for sale in the paper.  I also got the optional scroll saw and joiner attachments with it.

Amanda_931

From watching a friend make shelves for a store with one years and years ago, it may be best used as a fill-in for things you don't already own.  It looked rather as though changing from one use to another might be cumbersome.

But somebody offered me one--I'd take it.