Fastening Pressure Treated Wood PTW

Started by DirtyLittleSecret, May 17, 2009, 06:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtyLittleSecret

Spent yesterday mixing and pouring a total of 54 bags of Quickrete 5000, and now the posts are setting with Simpson CB66's...finally earned a Sunday off!

Question:  I know that Pressure Treated Wood requires galvanized fasteners.  Will any galvanized (sized appropriately) bolts do for these beams?  I have seen numerous sources recommend regular (non galvanized) machine bolts, but am apprehensive.  Thinking some galvanized grade 8 would be proper.  Also, is there anything I need to consider at the contact points between regular and PTW (ie: beams and joists)?
Thumb, meet hammer...hammer, meet thumb...

Don_P

HDG, hot dipped galvy, not the shiny "zinc plated" but the ugly lumpy grey coated fasteners. Code does allow 1/2" and greater to be regular non galvanized due to size, but that isn't real smart IMO. Grade 3 is plenty as the wood will fail in the hundreds of pounds per square inch where the fastener will fail in the thousands of lbs. All fasteners going into treated need to be HDG, stainless or labelled for ACQ use. The wood to wood contact is of no concern, there is no reaction there, just between the copper in the treatment and steel. That reaction is essentially about a half volt battery arcing between the two metals any time moisture is present.

DirtyLittleSecret

Glad to confirm before I spend more $! 
BTW: does anyone have any recommendations as to a good polyurethane glue for load bearing PTW?  Couldnt find anything at Lowes or HD.
Thumb, meet hammer...hammer, meet thumb...