Has anyone here looked at the FirstDay kits?

Started by Jonathan, May 13, 2009, 05:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonathan

These look like attractive DIY project kits.  I'm just wondering what your thoughts might be.

They are post / beam construction, and they are solid wood with a steel roof -- no drywall or, paint, plywood, etc.   The "Original" sells for about $27k plus freight, and it is a 16'x30' 2-story.  The kit does not include septic, foundation, plumbing, electrical, or heating.  I'd guess it could be well finished for under $50k with a full basement.

http://www.firstdaycottage.com/

rdzone

Jonathan,

If I remember correctly there have been extensive discussions on firstday in the past.  I would try the search feature and see what pops up.

Chuck
Chuck

MountainDon

A search should bring uop some things.

One thing that has been mentioned in other threads is the cost of freight. Unless you are in First Day's 'backyard' free delivery area that can add a lot to the total cost.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Jonathan

Thanks!  I'm fairly certain that this is the route I'm going to go.  BTW... I'm moving on Monday to Wisconsin where I've purchased 5 acres to build a home on.  Looks like I might be moved in before winter with the FirstDay Cottage.

ScottA

Keep in mind the shell is only about 1/3 to 1/2 of the cost of the house and that's if you build it yourself.