Started by MikeOnBike, July 29, 2011, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Broome

"The press, like fire, is an excellent servant, but a terrible master."

redjhoo

Very nice shed.
You made it all seem so easy.
Thanks for sharing.
Is the structure completed inside and the water tank installed?

John Raabe

Nice project - well done. It looks like your furry neighbor is keeping an eye on the place for you.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

MikeOnBike

Quote from: John Raabe on May 08, 2013, 01:10:22 PM
Nice project - well done. It looks like your furry neighbor is keeping an eye on the place for you.

Well we had some theft problems awhile back so I had to hire some security. 

MikeOnBike

Quote from: redjhoo on May 08, 2013, 01:01:08 PM
Very nice shed.
You made it all seem so easy.
Thanks for sharing.
Is the structure completed inside and the water tank installed?

I'm still working on the inside on both sheds and will be most of this year.  I need to finish paneling, install dry kitchens and refinish the floors.

The tank is on the property but not installed.  I'm trying to decide if I need to shade if from the sun to keep the temp down or should just paint it white.

MikeOnBike

About a month ago we got the water tank set on something a little better than bare rock.  We have close to 150 gallons in the tank now and keep adding with every trip.  We are taking a bit of a break from the cabin right now because the temps have been in the 90s and we are off grid.  Next trip we hope to get the shower finished and plumbed to the tank.

MikeOnBike

Fourth of July weather update.  On the afternoon of the 4th we watched tankers drop 3 loads on a range fire south of us.  After awhile they and the spotter plan just left even though the fire was still burning pretty well.  About 30 min. later the clouds darkened and we could see rain begin to descend to the ground over the fire.  After an hour it looked like the storm was headed our way.  About another hour after that we began to hear a jet like roar that was getting louder.  We couldn't figure out what is was.  Pretty soon it came over the ridge just south of the cabin.  Hail and lots of it.  The picture isn't even the worst of it.  We had another wave after I took this picture and then it rained hard for an hour.  I figure we conservatively got over an inch of moisture in two hours.  A lot of the hail was marble sized.

From the looks of the damage the storm was about 4 miles wide and we were at ground zero.  If filled our dry pond and overflowed the output for at least 24 hrs.  Water rain high down the creek and almost washed out the dead fall we had placed to prevent erosion.  Water ran across the oxbows and left fresh mud and debris all up and down the creek.  The fork of the creek that only runs two weeks a year during spring thaw and drains this basin ran 20-30 feet wide and we will have to rebuild that crossing. It was an awesome display of the power of nature.