Forget banning Guns this could ban home gardens

Started by Windpower, March 09, 2009, 10:12:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windpower

Here is hte story of Percy Schmeister an organic Canola grower in Canada

Monsanto sued him and won

http://www.percyschmeiser.com/

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

MountainDon

??? ???
Maybe that was a typo?  It ended other way around, more or less?

The Supreme Court issued their decision in May 2004 and one can view the decision as a draw. The Court determined that Monsanto's patent is valid, but Schmeiser is not forced to pay Monsanto anything as he did not profit from the presence of Roundup Ready canola in his fields. This issue started with Monsanto demanding Schmeiser pay the $15/acre technology fee and in the end, Schmeiser did not have to pay. The Schmeiser family and supporters are pleased with this decision, however disappointed that the other areas of appeal were not overturned.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ScottA

He sorta won but had to pay his own legal fees which where way more than what Monsanto tried to charge him so he really lost in a way. All I want is a tee shirt.

Windpower

Monsanto is a huge customer of the Co I work for

I have been to St Louis and Muscatine IA (where they make tons of Roundup)

IMO Monsanto is a criminal enterprise
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

tanya

Well what I suggest is people catch up some wild turkeys and any other protected corn eating species and let them loose at Montesano.  Oh imagine if the folks who caught skunks, rats, mice and other "pests" in those live traps all took them to Montesano fields.... And wouldn't it just serve them right if some native tribes nearby started growing traditional indian corn?  Sorry I have a mean streak going on today it is this cold getting to me. I might have to go get some bourbon for a hot drink. 
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.

Jens

Kinda like putting a dead fish in the HVAC ducting when you don't like somebody.  If you put if far enough down...boy that just sounds nasty!

"Where can i get a "Monsanto Sucks" tee shirt? "

Maybe I'll have a friend print some out, I want one too.

"I'd argure that their pollen is air polution that has harmed my crop and sue them for that. But then again I'm sure all the judges are on their payroll so that would be a waste of time."

Yeah...let me know how that works out for ya :)

In Mexico, there are ancient strains of corn that are going extinct because of the cross pollination.  This is their heritage!  At a certain time, it became cheaper to buy imported Monsanto corn (supplied at a deep discount, from what I heard), than to grow their own.  Problem 1, was the cross pollination, problem 2 was the way they replant...when they harvest, the eat raw ears as they are doing it, take a bite, then rip off and sow some kernels.  This has ended up so that their native species get killed out most places.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

BobHHowell

http://eatclosetohome.wordpress.com/2008/10/23/victory-gardens-exposed/

Excerpt ...

Victory Gardens

During WWI, people planted "war gardens" to ensure they would have enough to eat. A non-government-affiliated civilian, Charles Pack, created the National Emergency Food Garden Commission. The government got rather ticked off at him for rallying such support, especially with a name that implied federal endorsement. However, once war was declared in 1917, the government did endorse War Gardens and put one in on the White House lawn.

When WWII came around, the USDA went on the offensive to ensure no Charles Packs would emerge. Why? The official line was that no amateur gardener could harvest enough food to make it worth the expenditure of seeds and chemical fertilizer, which was now preferred over manure. (Keep in mind chemical fertilizer and bombs are made of the same stuff.) My hunch is also that large farmers didn't want the competition and the government wanted the illusion of normalcy. Within a couple weeks of Pearl Harbor, they were letting the country know that there should be NO repeat of the war garden effort, and in fact said that home gardening was unpatriotic. Eleanor Roosevelt was told there was no suitable place to plant a garden near the White House when she asked in 1941. Tearing out part of the Rose Garden was expressly forbidden, as that would be completely at odds with the "official" message of the day - that digging up ornamentals was a rash, panicky action and we'll be having none of that, thank you.

For two years, local Victory Garden boards fought this government slander and continued their efforts to plow up parks, create community gardens, give away seeds, and help folks garden. Finally, in 1943, the USDA admitted there might be shortages of certain foods (mostly veggies) because large commercial farmers were being asked to focus on staples like wheat. Canned goods were rationed for the first time. The number of Victory Gardens skyrocketed, Eleanor got her Victory Garden, and finally the USDA started putting out all those pretty posters implying that gardening was a good thing to do to help the war effort.

In 1944, rationing of canned goods ended, and 30% of the victory gardens shut down. The Victory Garden campaign continued to the end of the war, but numbers of gardens kept decreasing. (Though curiously, sales of seeds never fell off.

So what do we learn from this?

* The People have always led the gardening movement.
    * Whenever we feel our food system is insecure, we grab shovels and plant gardens.
    * When food is plentiful and cheap, gardening slacks off.
    * Government gardening propaganda has little effect on numbers of gardens.
    * Giving people space, dirt, compost, seeds, and tools has an astounding effect on local food production.

Jens

just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

glenn kangiser

I'll give 'em my vegetable when they pry my cold dead fingers off of it.  [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Sassy

Here's a video titled "The Future of Food."  I think I posted it a couple times before - about Monsanto, suing farmers, etc.

http://wideeyecinema.com/?p=26
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

muldoon

no more need to worry about what "might happen". 

HR 2749 - Food-Safety-Enhancement-Act-of-2009 passed today and was signed into law in the whitehouse. 

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/Statement-by-the-President-on-House-Passage-of-the-Food-Safety-Enhancement-Act-of-2009/

The govtrack on this one:
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-2749

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h2749/show
opencongress has the people support of this at 6%, Users Support Bill - 8 in favor / 127 opposed

The farm to consumer legal defense fund has been opposed to this bill and has a faq on what it means.  This is the most non-biased "reasonable" site I could find with the honest look at the changes.  There are dozens of sites that will tell you more. 
http://www.farmtoconsumer.org/news/news-HR2749-FAQ.htm

ScottA

Just one more step down the road to facist Amerika.

Virginia Gent

The time will come when they reap what they have sown, pun intended.
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
~Thomas Jefferson~

Whitlock

Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

Aunt Raven

As a Texan recently moved to the UK I note that skyrocketing food prices are fostering a boom in "allotment gardening"  (google this English phenomenon: small community gardening plots rented to people with no yards in an overpopulated island.)  The UK from day one resisted GM "Frankenfoods" but recently secret "test plots" of (Monsanto's) GM potatoes have been planted, to the general wrath of the people. 

i have access to a greenhouse and only grow heirloom seed veggies myself. The Labour Gov't here mistakenly thinks that GM crops are bigger producers. They don't know that weeds and insects quickly evolve to overcome the GM advantages . . .

Quote from New World Order advocate Henry Kissinger many years ago:  "Control debt and you control nations. Control food and you control people."  Watch the European Union. The priority is to reduce world population by famines and "pandemics", or the vaccines for same; and by control of food supply. 

For those who want to raise meat but cannot afford goats, Micro-livestock is a trend for the future:  Import / find some of those "improved"  giant guinea pigs developed for 3rd world countries as cheap meat source by the University of Lima, Peru.  These are the easy-keeper food animals of the future--far less trouble than rabbits.  Easily raised / kept when you're elderly. (The government can't find them if you raise them under your bed in cardboard boxes, feeding them grass as Ecuadorian immigrants in NY do :-) Google for these food animals ; but many of the best info pages are in Spanish.  Find a translator and see all the recipes for guinea-pig.