Insuring remote properties

Started by Yonderosa, May 26, 2009, 03:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yonderosa

Does anyone have recommendations for insuring remote properties?  Our insurance company pawned us off to another and the cost seems out of line.
http://theyonderosa.blogspot.com/

"The secret to life is to be alive.  To live ultimately by one's own hand and one's own independent devices." -Ted Nugent

rocking23nf

I know for my cabin, its around 15 mins from a town of 5000 people, and 1 hour from a city of 1 million, and the insurance was higher then my house insurance. And a big reason is fire response time.  They told me however if I remove house contents it would be quite a bit cheaper.

Anyways my city insurance is around 400$ for 1 million coverage on a house worth 300,000 plus contents.

My cabin is around 500$ for 90,000$ coverage with 10,000 for belongings. And the cabin was bought for 120,000$.

MountainDon

Remote property insurance will usually cost more. As mentioned fire response time is an issue as is availability of a reliable source for water.

IMO, it's unrealistic to compare the cost of insurance on our suburban home (fire hydrant within 100 feet and the full time staffed fire station 6 minutes away to our mountain property where fire fighting water needs to be tank trucked in and is at least 20 minutes away from the nearest (volunteer only) fire station.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rwanders

One way to lower your insurance bill is to opt for a higher deductible---it makes a surprising difference in the premium when you go from a 500 to a 2,000 or 3,000 deductible.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

MountainDon

Quote from: rwanders on May 31, 2009, 10:10:53 PM
One way to lower your insurance bill is to opt for a higher deductible---it makes a surprising difference in the premium when you go from a 500 to a 2,000 or 3,000 deductible.

Very good point. We've slowly increased the deductible over the past 25 years; with most of the adjusting upwards within the last 10 years, and way beyond what inflation would account for. That has saved a small bundle of money over the years. Same company BTW.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.