Whether this house is correctly constructed?

Started by yevgen, April 25, 2008, 01:05:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yevgen

Hello!

Me correctness of performance of technology of this 20' х 30' 1.5-story house constructed by the participant of forum Forumhouse (aka SDim) interests:

Photo gallery

Plans

It would be desirable to discuss with you merits and demerits of a design of this house.

-----------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------
Yours faithfully, Evgenie

Jackson Landers

This looks like really nice work to me. I could find a very few minor things to complain about, but overall it looks good. I would be proud to have built it.  In the US you don't often see people sheathing a roof these days with boards rather than plywood.  So there are some differences between what I see here and what most American builders would do, but it's not wrong.  Just different.

Those are some pretty deep footings there. I would imagine that the frost depth in that part of Russia must be pretty deep.

As far as the merits of the design are concerned, it just looks like standard platform framing to me.  Care has been taken to properly insulate the house and I see that only single headers have been used above the gable end windows, which could lead to a wobbly window in the future but the advantage is a pocket within which to install plenty of insulation above the window. In a very cold climate, this might not be such a bad trade-off.

The staggered load paths of the studs in the gable end wall of the attic bother me a little. But those walls aren't bearing much weight so it's probably not such a terrible thing to do.  Looking at how that whole window opening is framed, It's not how I would have constructed a wall, but then I suspect that the goal was to use the bare minimum of framing on the gable ends in order to reduce thermal bridging.  And maybe they were trying to use scrap wood for that wall in order to reduce waste and this was just what they came up with.

But again, I think this is overall a nicely built home.

Albemarle County, Virginia

yevgen

Clearly, thanks. :)

So, in design SDim^s house lacks are not present. [cool]

----------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------

Plan for very cold climate from Building Science
And here such drawings from the American scientific site suit construction of the family house for a constant residence in the Moscow area?

ED: I had some problems with the link as originally inserted. Repaired it. - MD

MountainDon

w* yevgen. Everything seems to be built well of solid materials. Where is the house located?

There were 2 things that caught my eye and raised a question.

The first was the door and window headers on the side wall. It appeared that there were no 2X material placed as a header as we would expect to find in a US/Canada built house. Headers would be required here on the side wall cutouts, but not on the gable ends.

Illustration here and/or here

Also, it wasn't clear how the windows and doors were flashed to prevent water entry, if water found its way behind the finish siding. Maybe that just wasn't shown clearly.

Re: Building Science... that website has lots of good information on how to build for the climate.  Some designs are better suited to hot, wet or cold climates than others. Building Science attempts to optimize the use of materials to the climate requirements with customized types of insulation and vapor barrier treatment. Well worth a visit.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

n74tg

Yevgen:
Nice looking project; good work.

I am building my own house also, and have used the Building Science website extensively in the design of my own project.

I just wish I was a far along with mine as you are.
My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

yevgen

Quote from: MountainDon on April 25, 2008, 02:35:02 PM
The first was the door and window headers on the side wall. It appeared that there were no 2X material placed as a header as we would expect to find in a US/Canada built house. Headers would be required here on the side wall cutouts, but not on the gable ends.
Illustration here and/or here

But, how in case of use "double header with plywood spacer" to pawn a basalt heater insulation above windows and doors?
look at photo

Quote from: MountainDon on April 25, 2008, 02:35:02 PM
Also, it wasn't clear how the windows and doors were flashed to prevent water entry, if water found its way behind the finish siding. Maybe that just wasn't shown clearly.

All joints and cracks are condensed by assembly foam.
It is the decision of a problem?

---------------------------------------------

What scheme approaches for independent housing construction more: "balloon" vs "platform"?

ScottA

Looks like the header is on top of the wall in that picture.  w* yevgen. House looks good.

PEG688

Nice Jog Evg and  w* to the forum.

I think the  2nd floor / loft rim joist is a 3 by Mtn. D so no headers would be needed on the lower level openings.

I didn't see (or find ) the photo about the window flashing .

Things I noted where

#1: Very thick walls , 2x8 at least maybe 2x10.

#2: Very thick foundation as well, the ready mix truck drum seemed small , how many yard load can it carry?

#3: Also the foundation / footings where not as deep ( as in under ground / below frost level ) as I would have expected where the house is built for extreme cold conditions, I'd have expected at least a 4 or 5 foot deep foundation  hole to have been dug.

#4: And the loft / 2nd floor walls seem to be a hinge point , maybe with the thick walls that isn't a issue.

All in all looks like a fine job , so where is it located ? Russia , one of the Stans ????

Good job again  :)   
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

PEG688

All joints and cracks are condensed by assembly foam.
It is the decision of a problem?

The foam is for air infiltration not to prevent water from getting in, do you have a photo of the windows top area  just before you sided the place?

---------------------------------------------

What scheme approaches for independent housing construction more: "balloon" vs "platform"?

Your job would be considered platform framing , mostly / mainly , you have a few other super insulated type construction things throw in as well. But over all it would be considered platform framed

[/quote]

PEG688

Is there something similar to this water table flashing that you used over the doors and windows ?

Looks like a " rain screen " wall type setup Mtn D I bet he got it right over the doors / windows.

Cute little helper you got there Ev ;)

PEG688

These are nice , are they required or more for area style ?

What do they cost? Locally made ? Maybe you made them???

PEG688

In this photo one thing I'd say is your white building wrap should have been under the window flange at the bottom so any water that got behind the what looks like Vinyl siding would have been lead on top of / outside of  the paper so it could run down to that nice flashing and away / off of the CDX ply underneath.

Here's one we ALMOST got right , friggin crew  :( teachum , feed um , beatum , they still screw the pooch now and again  ::)

That bottom piece of Grace Vycor   tape SHOULD have been under the window flange , so it should have been put on BEFORE the window was set.

And yanno it's not that BIG  a deal as the tape should stick to the flange ( and keep any water out ), BUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   It really should have been under the flange , thats the best way , and all they / you / I have to do is do it the same (right way) every time then theres no problem , Sorry mini VENT !!!!!! :-[ d*

PEG688

This thread oughta be interesting with my TOTAL lack of Russian , and use of "short hand / Internet speak such as PITA , MTL , words spelled like they sound IE Friggin , Yanno , oughta , etc . We really should have some MASSIVE mis-communication issue  rofl

Should be a real "Hoot" / fun eh c*

Redoverfarm

w*yevgen

Interesting house.  Seems the building practices are a little different there than here but it is still a box where ever it is built.  Had a little trouble in the photographs discription but it was good as the saying goes " A picture speaks a thousand words".  Everyone has a little different way of doing things and that's what makes your/ours unique.  Thanks for sharing.

Pegg maybe even you will pick up something that hasn't made it around the world to your shop yet. Maybe even learn to speak the language. ;D

John

PEG688

I got a PM from  yevgen He doesn't understand what I was saying , many due to my poor way of conversational typing / writting . I think we'll work thru it once we get to know one another better. :) I hope !

glenn kangiser

yevgen, Welcome to the forum and thanks for the link to your construction project album.  Great picture and great job.  Looks like you have a local sawmill making your lumber?
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

I really like this --and we worry about how to do a steep pitch roof.  Yevgen has it worked out.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

I also wanted to mention that I like the older buildings and fences in the area also.  Very historic looking.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

FrankInWIS

the scafolding on the second house if facinating.  May not be OSHA, but must work good.

glenn kangiser

Thats one of the largest houses of wood (in Russia), yevgen.

QuoteFor the one-time gangster who built it, it is nothing less than "the eighth wonder of the world". The less charitably disposed dismiss it as a glorified barn, fire hazard and eyesore. But on one thing everyone agrees: Nikolai Sutyagin's home is certainly different. Dominating the skyline of Arkhangelsk, a city in Russia's far north-west, it is believed to be the world's tallest wooden house, soaring 13 floors to reach 144ft - about half the size of the tower of Big Ben. (via)

Thanks for the link to the second photo album, yevgen.  Very interesting.  I translated the photo captions one at a time to see what was happening there.

Your floor heat system is similar to our PEX (plastic) floor heating system here.

SDim

glenn kangiser

Looks like more progress on the house.

Can you tell us more of the bricks inside - is it a wall texture covering?

Nice rain screen wall.

It looks like the ground gets soft there after winter and boards are put down to drive on.  My grandmother and father talked of having to do this in Oregon for some of the roads.

Looks like you have done lots of work there since you last posted.