Help! Roof shingle faiilure

Started by youngins, February 24, 2007, 06:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

youngins

Dry line came through this afternoon and behind it packed 50+ mph gusts. Some roof tiles failed and now I have a problem (see pictures below).  Any suggestions on what I can do now to protect my roof until I can get them fixed?

Wind is still blowing pretty hard and it probably wont be safe to climb up there until tomorrow morning, if then.

glenn-k

Still under warranty?

Big blue tarp comes to mind but wind doesn't like them much either.  

Maybe you could have some new ones on hand for when the wind slows down enough to get up there.  

JRR

To make shingles more wind resistant, I recommend a daub or two of PL roof sealant/adhesive under shingle lower edge.  This stuff is some of the best roof glue I've ever seen.
http://www.stickwithpl.com/Project.aspx?ID=2

glenn-k

The problem with roofing nails to secure the tarp is that when you remove it there are going to be holes that may leak - maybe likely leak.  I think small - 1/4" or so ropes to the grommets then tied to nails down under the eave trim board might work.  Ideally you may be able to get up there and fix this before it becomes a problem.  The nails holding the existing shingles in are under the upper course so you will have to finesse them out and get new ones in if they are damaged then nail so the nails will again be covered by the one above.  JRR's sealer to glue under the tabs is a very good plan.

Amanda_931

Friend of mine had a kid putting some repair shingles on his house in really cold weather (really cold for us!).  They ended up curled rather obviously.

Mostly down now that the weather has warmed, gotten some sun on the--black--shingles.  But I wondered at the time if they shouldn't have stuck a heating pad or an electric blanket up there to try to get the shingles to lay flat before the next rain.

Any thoughts?

Hold a tarp down with a used tire and rope?  That is what is done on a garage on the way into town.  I assume it works.  It's been that way for years.

glenn-k

How about careful use of a propane torch -- if you catch your house on fire, I didn't say that. :-/

glenn-k

QuoteHold a tarp down with a used tire and rope?  That is what is done on a garage on the way into town.  I assume it works.  It's been that way for years.

You are a genius, Amanda.  I've seen that used on silage piles all around here.  Yep - it works. :)

youngins

Jose is up right now making short work of the repairs...