TV Reception

Started by Yankeesouth, April 23, 2014, 02:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yankeesouth

Okay.....I know this is a taboo subject for many folks.......But....... does anyone who has a cabin in a mountainous region have any success gaining TV reception?  My cabin is in the mountains an additionally in a pretty steep valley/hallow.  For S#### and giggles I tried the Antennaweb.com site and received the following message:

Stations
To enter a different address, click here.
No Stations were predicted for this address Due to factors such as terrain and distance to broadcasting towers, signal strength calculations have predicted no television stations may be reliably received at this location.
Verify the correct ZIP Code and address have been entered.

Is there any possibility of getting TV reception when a message like this is received? ???

MountainDon

If you entered the position correctly, I'd say no.  It's been a few years since I used the site. Does it allow lat & long coordinates?  I seem to remember a website that did. 

I used that website for our cabin in the Jemez mountains. It predicted coverage; that was before the over the air digital conversion. I installed a recommended class of antenna and we got what was predicted. After the digital switch we lost one and gained two.  We had altitude going for us. The antenna farm near the city is at 10800 feet. The cabin is at 8800 feet.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

flyingvan

We have Dish Network, and Wildblue for internet.  Dish network is pretty good but starts pixelating in really bad weather.  We pay $50 a month.  WIldBlue is about $55 and only slightly better than dial-up, and they slow us way down when we go over our allowable data usage---we don't livestream anything so not sure what our data dump is from.
Find what you love and let it kill you.

MountainDon

That reminds me that I have been told that if you subscribe (to Dish?) you can add an RV antenna and receiver for $5 a month. A neighbor in the mtns told us that is what they do. That was a few years ago, so check for current offerings.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Yankeesouth

Thanks for the replies.  I just entered my street address on the antenna site.  I don't think it would matter what I enter......I'm too blocked in.  I didn't know about the Dish/RV bit.  That sounds like the route to go. Since cable is going through the roof we are considering a switch to Dish or Direct TV at home. 

On a side note, I was reading about Aereo and their fight with the cable networks.......that's what got me thinking about possible new antenna technologies. 

itpdk9

We have directv at our house.  I called them and told them I wanted to add it to our cabin.  They said no problem, they put me through to the movers section of directv.   I talked to them, they told me 75 dollars to install a new dish at my cabin and waived the fee for an hd receiver.  It only would then cost me the price of an extra tv at my house, so an additional 6 dollars a month.  They told me that when I go to the cabin that I would have to call them to switch my service to the cabin from the house.  (ok wink wink)  I had the installer come out, he was able to hit an area between the trees so that we have excellent reception.  I asked the installer, will I have to call and turn the box on or will it always work, he said that it will always work as they have no idea where the box is, he also hooked it up with my home address so that I have my local stations so I can watch our sports teams while away at the cabin.  It was a win win.  If they aren't able to get you reception they told me that they would refund me the install fee, but again the installer was great and got us working without any issues.

Good luck