Killing mice

Started by Yankeesouth, February 17, 2012, 10:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yankeesouth

Has anyone ever heard of soaking corn in anti-freeze to kill mice?  I was surfing for ways to kill mice and came across the corn soaking method.  I know is breaches ethical boundaries.....but does it work?

fishing_guy

Personally, I like the 5 gallon pail method.  Hang a bait over the middle of the pail, a ramp leading up to the pail, and fill it half full of water.  The mice go up the ramp, go for the bait, fall in and we all know that mice can't tread water forever...
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

mgramann

The advantage to using antifreeze is if you are away for long periods of time, it helps prevent the dead mice from smelling.

My dad created a trap that fits on top of a bucket.  The mouse runs up a ramp, into a rectangle tube with bait at the other end.  Upon reaching the bait, the bottom of the tube pivots like a see-saw, drops the mouse into the bucket, and resets.  An "infinite" mouse trap.

I really HATE this method of dealing with mice.  I have this trap setup in my shed, as mice nested in my generator.  It only serves as a "backup" as my primary way of handling them is sealing up any possible entry point.  I'd rather keep them out than kill them, but one has to be realistic as well.

If possible, try to get by without drowning them.  While I'm no tree hugging PETA person, I can't help but feel a responsibility to avoid a slow kill if there is another reasonable option.  Sometimes, that option doesn't really exist.

Squirl

The sticky traps are effective, and no less humane.  As soon as the mouse gets trapped you can here it squealing from a few rooms a way.  As you come up to it, it panics even more than what it was.  Then, if you don't bludgeon it to death, you would have to rip its body from the glue.  This breaks every bone in its body and also rips the hair/skin too.  They are one of the more effective ones sold, in my opinion.

I've been looking at the ones that electrocute them too.

I don't see antifreeze as less humane than all the other poisons that are used.  The other poisons are pretty ineffective.  I don't know if the mice are smart enough not to eat them or they have developed a tolerance.

My most effective method was cutting off the food and water. 
Water - Seal off the bathroom, spray foam around pipe holes, make sure the drains don't drip, wipe down the shower and sinks when done.
Food - Seal it in solid containers.  Clean under the stove top, around the outside of the stove and under the fridge.

No food and water they will usually move on to someone else.  About once a year I may see one when the weather changes in the fall.  I go through the methods I listed and usually never see trace of it again.

hpinson

I hope no dog or cat would get at that corn. I've seen a pet die from ingesting antifreeze; and it is an excruciating death. It is attractive because it is sweet, and I'm sure would be very effective at attracting and killing most any animal.

NM_Shooter

Do they still make toxic antifreeze that does not have a bittering agent in it?  I thought that a law was passed to make the old stuff illegal.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

mgramann

We always use RV antifreeze just in case, since it is nontoxic.

Erin

Personally, I swear by peppermint oil at just keeping them out in the first place. 

Soak cottonballs in the stuff and scatter them about in strategic locations.  I keep them out of our trailer house, shop, barn, etc.  Just with peppermint oil. 
The wise woman builds her own house... Proverbs 14:1