"growing" impatient

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, April 16, 2008, 04:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Years ago I locked myself out a couple of times. From then on I've never had the typical self locking lock on any exterior door. I replace that with a simple passage set, no lock. Then install a heavy duty dead bolt for locking the door. That must be turned with a key from the outside. On the inside, since the doors are solid, no windows, there's a simple thumb knob to lock.unlock the deadbolt. Impossible to lock yourself out that way, and from the inside a glance will tell you if the door is locked or not.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Quote from: MountainDon on April 22, 2008, 09:53:46 AM
Years ago I locked myself out a couple of times. From then on I've never had the typical self locking lock on any exterior door. I replace that with a simple passage set, no lock. Then install a heavy duty dead bolt for locking the door. That must be turned with a key from the outside. On the inside, since the doors are solid, no windows, there's a simple thumb knob to lock.unlock the deadbolt. Impossible to lock yourself out that way, and from the inside a glance will tell you if the door is locked or not.
That's exactly what I'd do if this were our house, Don....  I had an old truck for years and years that had manual locks, and one of them was messed up so that you had to use the key to lock it from the outside.  Some of my friends couldn't understand why I wouldn't fix the lock, but I told them it had saved me so many times because I couldn't lock it without the key.  Then we got that Blazer, and I not only locked the keys in it, but with the truck running because I was trying to defrost the window still!!  I was at the post office, almost 9 months pregnant with my first child, the local police would not help, and I couldn't call anywhere because I didn't have my purse with me and had no money to call anyone (because it was long distance everywhere at that time!)  Finally, I discovered that when I'd loaded something in the back the day before, I hadn't gotten the hatch window shut good in the back, so I climbed in the back and over the back row of seats (comical mental picture, I know!) to unlock the front door.   Yesterday as I sat on the porch with two hours to mull it over, I was thankful that it was not cold, that I am not quite as big and pregnant as I was when I was locked out the last time, and that the kids were having fun in spite of it.  However, I guess we have really acclimated to Wisconsin's cool weather, because yesterday was only about 91 degrees but my ankles swelled like crazy sitting outside on the ground... when I was pregnant with my older kids, we didn't even have AC in our house in OK, and our bedroom was upstairs, sweltering hot in summer.  Guess it all worked out, though, because DH felt sorry for me when he came home because I must've looked pretty pathetic sitting there... we ended up getting to go out to a Japanese steak house for dinner.  My kids were a little freaked out by the cook and his warped sense of humor.  Their expressions while he was cooking were hilarious.  The food was really good, though, and much more reasonable than any other Japanese restaurant I've ever eaten at... think we'll have to take MIL there in June when she comes just for the experience.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Went to the doc today and they did an ultrasound and estimated that the baby is around 6 lbs. 12 oz. give or take up to a pound.   :)  Doesn't seem to be any disproportionate weight gain, which means that we caught the gestational diabetes early enough and i've controlled it well enough that it doesn't seem to have harmed the baby.  They moved my due date up a week, which is consistent with the earlier ultrasound done in WI... so now somewhere around the 15th-17th of May... I kind of doubt it'll be that long.  I'm already starting to dilate some, so I think it'll be sooner than that, but hope that it holds off until at least the 3rd of May after the homeschooling convention and curriculum fair.  I've been really looking forward to that and don't want to miss it, especially since I've already paid the registration fee.  We got really good ultrasound pictures of the baby's profile and face.  I don't know still if it is a boy or a girl, but whichever it is, it is pretty.  Looks a lot like DD#1 in profile, but face is a little rounder looking like #2.  Don't know, though... it kind of acts like a boy... rolled over and mooned us. ;D

Homegrown Tomatoes

Well, every time I go walking, I start having fairly regular contractions... not too painful, but somewhat uncomfortable.  Went looking at land today and walking around one place I started having contractions; my realtor is single and has never had kids, so it kind of freaks her out if I stop and breathe deeply for a few seconds.  Have been sleeping in the recliner part of the time because I just can't get comfortable lying down... my hands keep falling asleep or aching.  If I had more money than I knew what to do with, I found a really pretty place today.  Unfortunately, I think it's out of the price range.   :( 

glenn kangiser

That's OK, Homey.  It's somebody else's pretty.  You can make your own.  :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

That's true... there is still that gorgeous 40 acres I saw a few weeks back.  It is a little farther out than some of the places we've looked at, but good roads, etc.  And the asking price on it is $2K/acre.  We could get it for less, I'm sure.  I don't really want to proceed with anything though until we have a solid offer on our place in WI.  We could pay a mortgage on the land and a mortgage on our house up there, but then we wouldn't have the money on hand to build anything... I don't like debt and am determined to do as much of our purchasing land without debt as we can.  I hate waiting.  DH wants a good price for our house, and I do too, but at the same time, we're throwing money away on it every month for utilities and for mortgage... I want to lower the price now and hope to attract a buyer. 

Homegrown Tomatoes

Did I mention that I was up most of the night with either crazy dreams or the inability to sleep because of a very active baby all night?  I slept from midnight to a little before four, and then I dreamt that I'd built a pier foundation for a little house and couldn't figure out how to attach an infant car seat to it ???  Strange dream and I was thoroughly frustrated with not only how was I to attach the car seat, but also WHY?  so, I woke up and then the baby was moving like crazy from then until after six.  After six, I really can't go back to sleep, so I just had breakfast, which consisted of a handful of peanuts and some milk and celery... seems that all the snacks that I had for myself (anything that I could eat which doesn't have sugar/carbs in it) has been eaten up by the rest of my clan.  I guess I will go to the store a day early or I will go hungry. 

StinkerBell

The little house kit should indeed come with instruction on how to attach an infant car seat.

I blame glenn.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Certainly an oversight on his and John's part! ;D This is just one of many in a series of ridiculous pregnancy dreams.  Night before last, I dreamed I was in labor and couldn't get my husband to wake up enough to take me to the hospital... but that one's somewhat based on reality.  When I was pregnant with my first I got a serious kidney infection and started running a really high fever.  The pain got so bad that I tried to get him awake at 2 AM to take me to the ER.  He mumbled, "What's wrong?" and then when I told him, he patted me on the shoulder and said, "I'll pray for you."  And then he promptly dozed back off.  It was later in the day before he finally took me to the hospital, where I ended up staying for the next four days.   

glenn kangiser

I don't do the plans.  I'm only a volunteer here, but I think I could Okie rig something up. [idea]

How fast do you expect this little house to be moving and what is the weight of the child? hmm

Stink, you are always blaming me.  Soon you may give me an inferiority complex. ::)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

StinkerBell

Well then, it can never be said I never gave you anything!

glenn kangiser

I was just kidding, Stink. 

Two women have called me an arrogant a------.  How could you give me an inferiority complex? hmm 

I know better. rofl [rofl2]

StinkerBell

I suspected you have a healthy ego.

sparks

Wow, HomeGrown, looks you are getting close! Best Wishes!

Sparks......
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

Homegrown Tomatoes

;D  Went to the doctor this morning and things are progressing gradually...I'm more dilated and effaced than last week.  She offered to induce next week if I wanted her to, but I told her no unless there is a medical reason for it.  My last doctor intervened when she shouldn't have and I don't want to EVER go through that again.  I think the baby will be here, possibly even before my visit next week, at the rate things are going.  The way I've got it figured, I'll probably go into labor on Saturday or Sunday of this weekend because the homeschool conference it Friday and Saturday.  Walking gets the contractions going.  Well all day on Friday and Saturday, I'm going to be walking around the conference.  If it doesn't work, then maybe I can just make a pineapple, basil, eggplant curry, drink some raspberry leaf tea, and play tag with the kids for an hour.  :D  I actually slept several hours last night, for the first time in a week... in fact, I had a hard time getting up and getting ready in time to get to the doctor's office for the first appointment of the day.  I'm determined not to go to the hospital until I'm ready for the doctor just to catch the baby... the less interventions and monitors and IVs and crap, the better.  I still have a terrible keloid scar on my arm from the IV with the first daughter.  I figure God gave these babies the good sense to come out when they're ready, and I don't want anyone else trying to dictate when and how they are born, even if I do try a few things that can't hurt to kick start the process...(do you think that's a bit hypocritical that I will try stuff to get labor going but don't want the doc to induce unless there is a medical necessity?) ???

Homegrown Tomatoes

Quote from: glenn kangiser on April 30, 2008, 09:25:38 PM

Two women have called me an arrogant a------.  How could you give me an inferiority complex? hmm 

Let me guess, was Sassy one and your ex-wife the other????   [noidea' [scared]

Sassy

[cool]  at least what you are trying is more natural.  Glad you got some sleep last night, HG... sounds like you have everything pretty much in order - just the wait now  c*
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Homegrown Tomatoes

that's kind of what I figure... I walked around the zoo with the kids after the doc's appointment today.  We got a zoo pass this year and I am determined to get my $$ worth... think it's about the 5th time we've been there already.  It was 90 degrees and I ended up breaking down and buying a cup of lemonade to split with the girls.  Well, even though I mainly just ate the ice, it really messed up my blood sugar :-\  Which is worse?  Dehydration or high blood sugar for an hour?   ::)  Anyway, the deal was that the kids got a picnic at the zoo if they did their chores all month, which they did, so we went.  By the time we'd made a round of the zoo, I was thinking I might go on into labor today! :P

glenn kangiser

Quote from: Homegrown Tomatoes on May 01, 2008, 11:15:08 AM
Quote from: glenn kangiser on April 30, 2008, 09:25:38 PM

Let me guess, was Sassy one and your ex-wife the other????   [noidea' [scared]

rofl rofl [rofl2] [rofl2]

How did you guess -- did I write that before? hmm

Homegrown Tomatoes

I don't think so, but just a guess... ???

glenn kangiser

I wonder how they both got the same flawed impression of me. [noidea' [slap] heh [scared]

[rofl2] [rofl2]

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

QuoteIf a man walks out into the forest and speaks,

and no woman hears,

Is He Still Wrong? hmm

Homegrown Tomatoes

:)

Well, survived the homeschool conference and curriculum fair without going into labor, but had contractions off and on all day Friday.  Yesterday wasn't so bad.  I can go into labor any time now as far as I'm concerned... sooner the better.  Doc is going to want to induce next week if I don't go into labor on my own first.  I don't want to be induced.  At all.  So, guess I need to go on some hikes, take evening primrose oil in addition to my vitamins, and eat some curried pineapple with basil and eggplant.  Or some such concoction. 

glenn kangiser

I am not an induction fan.  It'll come out when it's ready.

...and if it's a boy, for sure he'll come out to get his drivers license. ;D