Stain poly combo over poly?

Started by AdironDoc, May 21, 2012, 08:09:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdironDoc

My floor was put in a while back and the builder, in part to protect the floor during construction, decided to lay 2 coats of clear poly down. The floor is very bright. I would have rather it had been stained brown. The local hardware store told me it was a snap to lay a poly/stain mix down over the existing poly akin to painting over primer. To me it sounds like a recipe for flaking or terrible color finish as there is no actual uptake of stain, only a tint over the existing poly. Anyone ever try it? Wondering if I should try it on a few loose boards out of curiosity. Overall, sounds like a no starter.

alex trent

I think your idea of trying it on some loose boards is the way to go. I test on everything...hear of lots of disasters.  The same type of poly on poly already down should work, but this will tell you for sure.

Be a shame to mess up that cool looking room.

MountainDon

You are correct to be suspicious I believe. I can not see how any stain can be successfully applied over already clear coated wood. That would be somewhat like trying to stain ceramic tile I think.   ??? 
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

muldoon

I know you can do poly over poly, and the stain infused poly "polyshades" would make this sound feasible.  I agree that regular stain over poly would not work.  Anyway, I would try it on a test board or two first and let it sit out in the sun a few weeks before doing anything inside. 

AdironDoc

I've all but given up on the idea but will do up some test boards just to satisfy myself. I figure it's essentially like painting over the floor with a highly transparent brown. That's got to be streaky. Anyway, rick suggested some dark furniture and rugs will tone down the floors. With some rustic furniture being added each weekend, the place is looking less like a Scandinavian design store (no offence to all my relatives in Norway! :P)  and more like a hunting camp.

cheers,
Doc