Newbie questions

Started by j_thib, September 26, 2007, 06:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j_thib

Hi all!  I've always been interested in building and have done quite a few small projects: Chicken coops, sheds, tiny dairy barn, etc.  I am wanting to tackle the 14 x 24 little house with the help of a few friends.  I know next to nothing about building codes and permits, which is what I would like to study first.  The site is in a rural area of Louisiana outside city limits in a 6 acre field behind my parents' house.  I know the state recently adopted the International Building Code.  I would like to hook up electricity and water.  First off, since the house is small and I am in a rural area, do I even need a building permit?  Secondly, to get electricity and such hooked up, will an inspector come over and check to see if the house is built to code?  If so, then the 2 x 4 walls of the little house would not be accepted, right?  Should I go with 2 x 6?  I've tried looking this info up on the net, but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for...Finally, am I worrying too much about the whole thing?  
Thanks in advance.

MountainDon

Hi there and welcome.

First if you're going to hook to the grid you will have to abide with all the local building requirements, MTL (more than likely). The place to start there is with the county government unless you are in a larger town/city jurisdiction. There will be a development or building department. They will tell you about all the hoops that must be jumped through. In a rural area the local county will have its own Gods that must be pleased (and paid). The rules could be simple or more complex.  Some places have rules regarding water & septic that must be dealt with and sometimes before the building permit itself is issued. Ya'll have to check locally.

Have you done an internet check on the state regulatory rules? Here in NM all the regs and permit requirements and costs are available online.

The IRC2003 code is available to read online.  There's a link to it here  http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1172766949
It is Seattle specific, but the entire code is there. (local jurisdictions can make changes)

There is also a 2006 version. I have no idea what may be different. IRC and other codes are also usually available in public libraries, usually for in library use only. They're too expensive to buy and generally are not available to read online. Seattle'slisting is different somehow.  :-/ But it is the real thing.

Will there be inspectors? You bet your *$$ there will be!  :o And permits required for everything. In most jurisdictions you, the homeowner, can get permits for electrical and plumbing if you do it all yourself. Those are in addition to the permit for the building frame, walls, roof, etc. There would be a test for electrical and plumbing in most places.

2x4's vs. 2x6's? The building code may not specifically state you need to use 2x6's. However, if they also follow the DOE's Building Energy Codes Program http://www.energycodes.gov/implement/state_codes/index.stm
you will likely find that in order to meet the code you will need 2x6 walls. There is a program you can use online or download that will be helpful.

On the left panel of that above link, click on the RESchek link. When you know window and door data, wall, floor, ceiling/roof insulation you can run the numbers and get a Yes/No answer.

You can easily change the framing sizes up to 2x6 on the little house plans.

Hope this helps. G/L and please keep us posted. We love pictures.  :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peter nap

First, welcome to the board.

You may or may not need a permit. Rural land is often given a good deal of leeway.

As far as power and water goes, you will probably need an electrical and plumbing inspection and the power company may want you to have septic and well before it extends it's lines as residential.

Talk to the local building inspector.......

j_thib

We plan on having a composting toilet (which is legal in our area), and we would also like to have a grey water system (Water from the washing machines and whatnot already drain out into the yards from houses around here.  In fact, there is a trench down the length of our rental house backyard to drain the water away.  We would have our water drain down a stream with filtering plants to a grey water pond.)  All we would need is running water for tap and shower and electricity.  Since we are building behind my parents' house, could we somehow run water (piping) over to our house?  I don't think electricity would be a problem--we've run wires from my parents' house to their outdoor workshops.  We wouldn't need to use much electricity--less than the average household.  I have an electrician friend who would be willing to help me out.  I guess what I am asking is if y'all think it is possible to get running water and electricity without involving government officials?  Is it possible to do it oneself?  Thanks for answering my questions.

glenn-k

Piping water next door should be no problem.  - same as the electricity.