16' wide Victoria Cottage project

Started by jraabe, December 22, 2005, 07:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan614

Could you take a picture of those cieling lights in the orange room?e

rampage

Brady, the pics of what you have done are very inspiring!

jraabe

Dan: I expect the lights in the orange room are the same outdoor lights (from Lowe's) that are in the earlier pictures. They look nice centered between the beams and used as a wall wash.

I have done similar things with outdoor lights. There is an inexpensive outdoor fixture available at many home centers - it looks somewhat industrial or if it might be from a ship. There is a heavy oval frosted glass cover for the light that is held down with a wire basket. It usually mounts horizontally.

These can be easily spray painted any color you want, can fit a CFL bulb and look good as hall and wall lights almost anywhere.

They are also indestructible.

Boatz

Wow! The house looks great! Please! More interior shots - such nice light inside! Where are you planning to have your eating area? I'm guessing in the "living room", but maybe there is something I can't see...

jraabe

It is interesting to me that several of the people who have built the Victoria Cottage plan have used strong colors.

Link to the pictures of the earlier house: http://www.countryplans.com/vc.html

Victoria, who got to name the house, is from the Dominican Republic. She loves those Caribbean colors!

It is also an unending delight to see how people will take a stock plan and make it into a personal home.

Brady

Will post some photos of the lights for you this weekend when I have a chance to take some photos of them.  They are actually from a local lighting store.  I put one in each space between the beams and on dimmer switches.  Got the same design but as a hanging light for the first floor room off the living area.  

If you go to dan614's posting on lofts, you can see some more photos of the loft.  

As far as my "eating area", I am going to put a counter on the half wall by the kitchen and use some bar stools.  I won't really have a formal dining area and will come up with some sort of table for when guests come over.  I am sacrificing having a formal area for eating, but being realistic, I prefer eating with a plate on my lap while watching the tv.  

After reading "The Not So Big House" by Susanka, decided to opt for a realstic view of how I would use the spaces in my home and go with what works for me and forget the typical definitions of what makes a house.  I recommend her book to all and personally found it very good to help form a realistic view of how I would really use a house.

Brady

Boatz

The counter with the bar stools sounds right... I'm with you, I'd rather plop down and be entertained, but there are those occassions when other come over (I usually have some cushy toss pillows that go around a  big coffee table - but then we are very casual around here).

You did such a nice job with the lights... I just want to know how you guys get so smart about such things!

Brady

Some photos of the lighting in the hovel.

The lights in the living area:

And the same style but as a hanging light in the work area:

Wall lights that I have on the half walls of the loft area:

And in the kitchen:

Please forgive the dust.  

Perhaps John can resize these to make it easier to see.  If anyone knows how to resize photos and could explain it to me in idiot terms so that I understand, please do!

Brady

glenn-k

Hi Brady - Go to photobucket instead of tinypic -- per Daddymem, you can edit/resize and it keeps them in albums under your account so you can find them again.  I went to 50% on these.  I prefer not "idiot terms", but "terms understandable to the uninformed." :)

Photobucket

ailsaek

QuoteNice lights!  

What he said!  I especially like the blue ones in the kitchen.

Jessica(Guest)

Hi,

I'm planning on building a rather modified Victoria's Cottage in MT and was wondering how the radiant floor heating was for you?  Is the upstairs comfortable enough without having another heating source?  It can get pretty darn cold here (-30 degrees w/o the windchill sometimes) so I'm thinking of doing the radiant heating on the second floor as well when it gets totally freezing.

Thanks!!!!

jraabe

In cold climates you might want to add a couple of hydronic baseboard heaters in upstairs rooms. I have done that in our milder climate and they are rarely turned on as the radiant floor heats the whole house 99% of the time. At -30ยบ these might see more action, I expect  ;). This is a less expensive option to doing a radiant floor on the upper level as well.

sevans

Hello

I just wanted to say what a beautiful house you have. I just got my plans for this cottage in the mail yesterday and was feeling very inspired by your pictures. We still have a lot of paper work to do, but hope to break ground by early June. I can't wait to have my own pictures to share. :)

cecilia

Hi Brady

Your choice of lights is very similar to ours at the Duckpond. In fact the photo of the one on the long string with the ceiling fan in the same shot could almost have been taken at our place!

Which makes me think you may be able to solve a small problem for us.........

The ceiling fan is only needed in winter, to send the rising warm air from the gas log fire back down and prevent it all disappearing upstairs. The trouble is that the hot air from the fire and the fan somehow make the light swing around in circles, (makes you a bit sea sick if you're trying to watch TV). It only does it when the heater fan is on the medium setting, not on high or low. Trouble is the fan is a bit noisy on high and you're not supposed to run the fan on low unless the heat is also set to low.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

I can now see the logic of the light attached to the underneath of the fan, but I just don't like the look of them.

cecilia
www.duckpond-design.com.au/theduckpond

glenn-k

Sounds like a little resonant frequency problem like the Tacoma Narrows Bridge.  It finally self destructed.

You might check the twist on the fan blades - sometimes they are not the same if one gets bent - also check the balance - maybe tape a washer on top a blede that seems light or just experiment a little bit with a washer or weight taped on in different places.  I had the problem with the twist on the arms once.

CREATIVE1

Trying to interpret the pictures.  Is the front loft a full sized (11.5 foot deep) room?  Really like what you've done.  

MarissaKelly