20x30 1 1/2 story questions

Started by rwalter, January 25, 2005, 02:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rwalter

I am looking at the 20x30 1 1/2 story design and I am interested in possibly using a daylight basement in the design for a garage. I noticed the plans only have post and pier, slab and crawlspace foundation listed. What concerns should I be aware of and any suggestions would be appreciated. I would be building on a hill so that should not be to much of a concern. What I wonder is how much of the foundation should stick up out of the ground? The frost line is 48" so obviously the footers will have to be placed atleast at that level  at the back of the basement but what about open daylight end? I've got a mason somewhat lined up to put in the foundation in but he is retired and lives in Florida for the winters. He won't be back until the spring time and I am trying to plan this out now.

I also notice that it appears that the design uses a balloon frame construction. I don't have much experience balloon framing  and would like to use standard platform framing techniques and place a shed style dormer in the rooof of the second floor to get the added floor space. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

JeffnTN

JeffnTN

Dormers are easy to do....

I advise using the 2x6x10  studs and the high density insulation. .. 

Unless you live in an extremely warm climate and have a cool ocean breeze, that is....

Kind of foolish not to (at least in my climate)...

Where are you building?...  your location is hidden....

rwalter

JeffnTN,

The question I have is at the garage door end of the foundation that is at ground level did you use a thick edged foundation slab. I would assume that you would use a standard footer below grade to a certain point then once the floor is close enough to ground level transition to a monolithic style thick edge slab foundation, but I am not sure if that is correct.

JeffnTN

I poured a mono slab.  12 inches deep, 12 wide and sloped the besement  slab back to the foundation to where it was approx 5 inches deep .. Poured 4000 psi with fiber mesh

Also tied #6 rebar on 24 centers along all foundation walls,  used 12 inch block on all backfill areas and corners and changed to 8 inch block on the downhill side/garage door .

Does this help?

rwalter

Thanks Jeff. Congrats on you project it looks great. I thought that what I need to due but I wanted to make sure. I have one other question. What order did you pour the concrete. I was thinking that I would pour the footers for the wall first then, pour the slab next. Or could you just pour a thick edged monolithic slab for the entire footing?

JeffnTN

With the steep mountain side slope I built on (and
wanting the best view and easy access to existing utilities), I did the mono pour slab on the 12x40 foot basement section, then layed the block for that  (10 ft basement walls), waterproofed that section, then backfiilled,  then dug and poured the step up foundation  footings for the 20x20 foot  crawl space. I also formed and poured my own connecting foundation sections where I tied the 2 foundations together.

Then layed the crawlspace block foundation and FINALLLY  began to frame.

rwalter

Jeff,

It looks really great. I hope what I do turns out as nice. Thanks for the insight it is just what I was looking for.

Bob

JeffnTN