convert roof pitch to degrees

Started by murphish, January 11, 2005, 12:25:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

murphish

3DHome Arch 6 only has two roof pitch choices: 20 degrees and 45 degrees. I figure that 45 degrees is 6:12 but what does 20 degrees mean for pitch?

On my 2 story cottage I'd like to have 2:12 with metal roofing. If my building is 16 ft wide and my low side is 15', what would be the height of the high side with that pitch?

jonsey/downunder

17' 8"  about 9.5deg. 20deg will give you about 20'10"
jonesy
I've got nothing on today. This is not to say I'm naked. I'm just sans........ Plans.

Dan

45 degrees is actually a 12:12 pitch.   20 degrees is around a 4.36:12 pitch if I can still do geometry.

Amanda_931

If that's 4.36 pitch on the roof, I think I'd get new software.

You couldn't use a framing square to step off the rafter lengths.

But that's what I got.  Tangent of 20 is .363.

John Raabe

3D Architect 6 Design Suite Deluxe is not very useful software IMHO. I tested both it and the new Better Homes and Gardens Home Designer Suite 6 recently.

For overall project design and layout neither one can do as much as quickly and as cleanly as the old 3D Home Architect ver 3 that can be had for $10 many places.

In the ver 3 program for instance you set the roof pitch yourself - as a factor of 12 just like the framing books tell you. You can make anything from a very steep 14:12 to an almost flat 1/2:12 roof.

version 3 also has a reasonable cross section tool for cutting through the roof and floors to check ceiling heights and how things fit together. The BH&G program won't let you do that.

Why someone hasn't been able to build a better and more useful version of the old ver 3 software and still price it around $100 eludes me! There is certainly a market for that program.

3DHA Version 3 (1999) grew up to become the $1000 program Chief Architect which is now in version 9.5 (2004). It is too expensive and far too complex for most people to learn who want to do one project.

Like most true CAD programs you need to devote the full capacity of your brain to it. You really need to be using it day in and day out to be able to learn and keep all the tricks in mind so that you actually get good at using it. Occasional use of the program only gets you frustrated. This is no word processor!

This is not to say that 3D Home Architect ver 3 is not frustrating! There are lots of things you think you should be able to do that you can't, and there is lots of room for improvement. However, it is relatively easy to learn and pickup for occasional projects. The learning curve is smooth and easy and you can have fun with it right away.

Of course, none of these programs tell you much about the structure of what you are designing. Therefore they are best for plan modifications of an existing structural plan where you know what you can change and what has to stay in place.
None of us are as smart as all of us.