wrestling T1-11

Started by countryborn, October 06, 2009, 01:18:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

countryborn

here we are, 2 mid-century model humans building a house pretty much by ourselves.  Current challenge is the siding.  Just the 2 of us trying to nail the T1-11 on the second floor is difficult. Have to wrestle each sheet out of the basement, where we primered it, then up onto the homemade scaffolding, then one of us holds it exactly in place on the wall (braced on the tiny ledge of the Z metal) while the other person nails it.  We haven't dropped a sheet yet, but almost.  (it's only 9 feet to the ground, so the T1 would probably survive, mostly)
so, is there any easier way to do this?
we don't have a crane.  still looking for that sky hook.
How does everybody else do this? 
you can't have everything without having too much of something.

JRR

My wife and I went thru the same on our 1-1/2 floor cabin.  We used an eye-screw on the inside of each sheet, about 3/4 up on the sheet, near the center but to avoid being exactly on whatever wall-stud would be there to interfere.  She tugged on a 1/4" rope tied to the eye-screw, and tossed over whatever ... and I lifted from below.  She was usually inside and I usually outside.  It went OK.  I used decking screws for the initial hold-downs, fastening the sheets to the studs ... quicker and safer for me.  She would untie and free the rope as soon as I had the lower end of the sheet secure.  Nailing can be done later.

MountainDon

Handling 4x8, or larger, sheets is tough. Scaffolding is the way to go. It should be sturdy and at a height that makes the work comfortable. Sorry I can't be any more helpful than that. It is difficult.

Not that I want to make the job harder but you mentioned resting the T1-11 on the Z-strip. The upper panel should not actually rest on the metal as that can cause water to soak into the edge and cause problems down the road. There should be a 1/4" space to prevent wicking up the sheet.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

emcvay

Not sure about the 2nd story, but I used to tack a nail into the ridge beam below to provide a little support.  When done pull the nail and move on....

But 2nd floor is another issue.  Scaffolding is a must of course -- and I'd bring it from the outside -- just like doing a roof.

It's been nearly 20 years since I sheeted a roof and upper floors but all I remember was handing sheets of sheeting up to the guy on the scaffold after partially climbing the ladder with the sheet over my shoulder....

Speaking of which...

Lift one end of the T1-11 with the sheet standing on a long side.  Walk you hand (thumb facing behind you) down the underside as you pick the front of the sheet up.  Once you hand is in the middle (roughly) lift the sheet and allow it to rest on your shoulder.  Your other hand will be on the top edge.

This makes a stable carrying platform and you can also lift from there and climb on roofs etc like this.

If this doesn't make sense I'll try to find pics of it but it's a standard carpenters carry of sheeting and usually two sheets are carried at once (by young guys).

Erik

n74tg

No, scaffolding is NOT a must.

I put up my 4x8 OSB 5/8" thickness by myself.

Here's a link, in pic #2 the top of the wall is 20' above ground.

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/2008_10_05_archive.html
My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

emcvay

Quote from: n74tg on October 06, 2009, 03:22:11 PM
No, scaffolding is NOT a must.

I put up my 4x8 OSB 5/8" thickness by myself.

Here's a link, in pic #2 the top of the wall is 20' above ground.

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/2008_10_05_archive.html

Fair enough -- but for me it's a must ;)

countryborn

thanks for all the advice.  some of it won't work for us.  for example, the "carpenter's carry" described is not an option for those of us with neck & shoulder issues.  and primered, 1/2" t1-11 is heavy!  (but you knew that.)  my husband is 61, so not quite as agile & strong as he was 40 yrs ago.  neither am I.
we have roof on & sheathing on all walls, so pulling a sheet up to position would be very hard.
MountainDon, we don't actually have the T-1 resting on the Z metal once it is nailed in place.  that was just to get it in place & square.  then we lift it up a bit with our fingertips & one holds it in place with hands & head while the other start nailing.
we have the 2 long side sheeted & primered.  now have to build scaffolding on the slanted sides then paper & side & paint, when the rain gives it another break...
maybe I will try to send some photos, once I figure that our again.   :-[
you can't have everything without having too much of something.

MountainDon

Quote from: countryborn on October 13, 2009, 08:52:04 PM
.... we don't actually have the T-1 resting on the Z metal once it is nailed in place.  that was just to get it in place & square.  then we lift it up a bit with our fingertips & one holds it in place with hands & head while the other start nailing.

[cool]
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Vise grip welding "C" clamps can make a good quick easy release grip to tie a rope to for pulling up the sheets. 

Possibly some type of a temporary spacer on the Z could help space and hold up the sheet .
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.