20' X 32' (ish) Tri-Level in Coastal Alaska

Started by akwoodchuck, October 30, 2018, 07:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akwoodchuck

Howdy all, finally getting around to starting my new build....basically a 20' x 32' two story with a 6' ell, a couple other bump outs, daylight basement, and wraparound covered porch. 3/4 bedrooms, 2 bath, about 2000 square. ft. living space. Lot is 5 acres, South facing, heavily treed with spruce, birch, and alder, a few meadows filled with fireweed, and a small creek that runs along one edge. 180-degree views of bay, mountains, and glaciers....part of an old homestead (as in "Homestead Act" homestead) that the original family started subdividing and selling off a few years ago. They sold about 30 parcels in 2 years, it was a good deal. I was one of the first buyers, got a choice corner lot. Power is in, driveway, storage shed too. Percs like a dream, in an area legendary for being a swamp tilted at 15 degrees. Had my foundation hole, gravel pad, sub drains done by a friend last spring, hoping to get the footers formed and possibly poured this week:

Trenching in the sewer main to run beneath the footer:

.....hoping for a 5 year build, then move in, everything paid off, we'll see...will try to post some plans this weekend, if I can get them drawn up on this stuff called paper, used to be all the rage.... ;D
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."

Migraine Craftsman

Awesome to see another home build. Mike 870 is doing one and I am doing one as well. Please post pics and vids if possible.

ChugiakTinkerer

Good luck with the pour.  Temps just turned up here, was 9 F in my driveway this morning.
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

akwoodchuck

Quote from: ChugiakTinkerer on October 31, 2018, 01:05:28 PM
Good luck with the pour.  Temps just turned up here, was 9 F in my driveway this morning.

Yeah I saw that the morning ice races have begun up there.... :D
...definitely keeping an eye on it. Highs in the 40s and bluebird skies all week, should be good to go. The local batch plant operates year round, they have the cold weather mix thing down pat....

akwoodchuck

Almost ready to pour, just got to hang the steel, set anchor bolts for PWF foundation walls, re- check everything for level. Concrete outfit wants extra $800 for pump truck...wheelbarrows it is  :D....100+ feet from driveway to hole.

Rough sketches of floor plan and north elevation:

NathanS

Looks great. I am guessing that paper/water proofing gets wrapped around the footing and connected to the wall water proofing? Nice system.

I'm looking forward to seeing the progress. Also you are a carpenter by trade?

akwoodchuck

Yeah I'm going with the FastFoot forms...it's a trial run for me, never used em before, so far I'm liking them.
...also yes, I'm a builder by trade, and let me tell ya,....stay in school, kids.... ;D

Migraine Craftsman

Hey woodchuck I rendered your kitchen for you. Tell me what you think. I didn't see a dishwasher in the drawing so I stuck one in for you.

akwoodchuck

Thanks, Craftsman, that is so cool! I have tried quite a few of the design programs, got pretty into SketchUp for a while. Mostly I just love doodling with pen and paper, always come back to it. For the small residential stuff I do, it usually gets me right where I need to be. Love what you did there though!  [cool]

Migraine Craftsman

Quote from: akwoodchuck on November 04, 2018, 12:26:02 PM
Thanks, Craftsman, that is so cool! I have tried quite a few of the design programs, got pretty into SketchUp for a while. Mostly I just love doodling with pen and paper, always come back to it. For the small residential stuff I do, it usually gets me right where I need to be. Love what you did there though!  [cool]

You love to doodle I love to play with the software, I sometimes do it just for fun when I'm bored. When you post more I'll render some more stuff for you, that way you can see how things look before you commit to framing. Cheer's  c*

akwoodchuck

Got our footers poured this week, just in time before a bunch of nasty wet snow came flying in:

....next step will be slab prep...a 6" lift of sand, rigid foam, poly sheeting, remesh etc...slab will have two integral footer pads for posts. 2x6 treated sill plate bolted to footer will have a treated 2x4 screed board on edge fastened to it.

Migraine Craftsman

Ahhh wheelbarrow time I feel your pain you must of been tired after this. Looking good brother. How much does concrete run per yard in AK?

akwoodchuck

It wasn't bad at all with 3 guys...two hours start to finish we were out of there...went and had a nice lunch then spent the rest of the day installing a pine ceiling on a nearby job:  ;D

....5-sack mix goes for $145/ yd. , plus $15/ yd. for hot water...the 5 yards, plus extra 15 minutes truck time (driver was being nice, it should have been more), ran me $870....

NathanS

Looks good.

Did everything go well with the cloth forms? Seems like a good alternative to wood forms.

akwoodchuck

Quote from: NathanS on November 11, 2018, 07:43:34 PM
Looks good.

Did everything go well with the cloth forms? Seems like a good alternative to wood forms.

Yeah, think I'm sold on this system!
...corners were a little tricky right at first, but then it's easy peasy lemon squeezy.... :D