Can't see pictures

Started by TisaWee Farm, August 17, 2007, 07:20:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TisaWee Farm

I'm sure it is a problem with my computer, but most pictures on this site come across as little boxes with an "X" in the middle.  If I right-click, it will say "show photo", but it doesn't.   I've tried to copy and paste the "picture", but that doesn't work either.    Any ideas????  

I'm on a school computer, so lots of sites are blocked.... don't know if that's doing something strange with pictures or not!

Chris C in Ohio

glenn kangiser

Likely blocked at the school.  Wifes work blocks them also.

They can never tell what the kids might accidentally see so many times block them all.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

TisaWee Farm

Bet that's it.  So frustrating!   I cruise the forum at lunch time (well....and other times, too, obviously!)  ::)
I'll have to check from home.   Thanks for the quick reply!
CC

mvk

I have this proplem. It's my own computer but I'm pretty thick about this stuff. Any help you would have as to how to unblock whatever is blocked would be a big help. And please don't underestimate how thick I am.
Mikie

MountainDon

This happens with all images on this website? What about other websites with graphics?

Does this image show.. 
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

mvk

MountainDon

Ok, if that image is visible it's not you or your computer. That is a very small image file BTW. 7KB.

What type of an internet connection do you have? It could be possible on a dial up that there's just too much info to be downloaded to allow the pictures to get to you in a reasonable time. Maybe your system times out? Some of the pages with images here end up having to download lots of data.

??

Or if it's only some images it's possible the links are broken. Copy one or two of the url's and either post them in this thread or email them to me in a PM
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

mvk

Don
I went to the camp hope site on the owner built place and at the 25 august 07 post are some pictures that I can't open? So by URL's what do you mean thats like yahoo.com or country plans isn't it. I tried to go over and copy the picture but I didn't have it after I logged in and opened a reply then when I went back to get it I got lost and got logged out? We have dsl by the way. PM personal Message? Thick huh?
Thanks Mike

MountainDon

Yep, PM=personal message

by url I mean what's displayed in the browser address bar. Like this page is
http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?action=post;topic=3215.0;num_replies=7

I'm going to go look at the camp hope, 8/25/07 topic and report back here

glenn kangiser

You are not in a location where the images may be blocked are you?  A network at a school or business can do that.  My wife can't get pix at the Hospital where she works.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Also -- your message says some pix you can't see -- can you see some and not others?

MountainDon

Hey there mvk, you can feel better about your computer skills. The problem was not you. You should be able to see all the images there now. Here's a short cut

The image links were double tagged; I fixed 'em. Sometimes that's no problem but sometimes it is.  ???

If you, or anyone sees any more let us know.  :)   You can click on the "Report to moderator" link at the bottom of any message to report a problem. Then we moderators will race to see what's up.   :o

glenn kangiser

Also -- note that you may have them turned off on your computer -- Firefox will block them if you want -- I assume other browsers will also.  Do you get other pix from other places OK? 

Maybe Don fixed this - but I will post this anyway for future info.

mvk

Also -- note that you may have them turned off on your computer -- Firefox will block them if you want -- I assume other browsers will also.  Do you get other pix from other places OK? 

Maybe Don fixed this - but I will post this anyway for future info.

Don and Glen
Thanks for the info. Sorry about not responding for so long didn't mean to be rude. I have to hunt and peck and it takes me so long to do.

Glen
there are other things I can't open out on the net, some give me that white page with some message blah,blah,blah, and that means they aren't active. Right? Some are like those white squares that Don fixed. And there are some others that I don't remember. I can never find my way back, there are at least two things I'm looking for and can't find.

For a browser I have that blue e thing with the ring that came with my computer. How would I know what/if anything is blocked. This is my own computer not work/school. Maybe my Son has me blocked ?

Mike
???

glenn kangiser

Doesn't seem likely. 

On Internet Explorer it would be   Tools/Options/Advanced/Multimedia- show pictures -- box should have a check in it.

MountainDon

The key thing is IF you see pictures on some web sites, or like the thing I fixed, you see some pictures but not others on the same web site, then the problem is NOT likely to be with you or your equipment. Those problems are external and beyond your direct control.

All the more so since it's your own computer. Businesses can and do block images, some also only let a few select business oriented sites be accessed.