Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)

Started by Oljarhead, September 21, 2009, 02:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajbremer

I liked your pics where you show your floor/deck all done and your doing the 'Countryplans jig' on it. I posted a question yesterday here asking users to guess how much, on the average, it would cost to get to that point using piers or blocks, doing the beams, floor joists, and then the 4x8 sheets over the whole thing. I was wondering about how much you think it cost you to get to that point?

Here's where I asked the question: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10211.0
Click here to see our 20x30 and here to see our 14x24.

RIjake

Quote from: OlJarhead on February 02, 2011, 09:14:12 AM
Ordered the WoodMizer LT10!  :D  I CAN NOT WAIT!  [cool] c* ;D :)

After milling 100 board feet of pine for the cabin last weekend I've got the bug big big time!  I want to mill 50 board feet, or  1000 board feet in a weekend!!!

Then I want to finish this cabin and mill the lumber for the next one -- all of it!

I'm totally stoked :)

I'm envious!  What I could do with one of those! [chainsaw]

Barry Broome

"The press, like fire, is an excellent servant, but a terrible master."

OlJarhead

Quote from: ajbremer on February 02, 2011, 12:01:13 PM
I liked your pics where you show your floor/deck all done and your doing the 'Countryplans jig' on it. I posted a question yesterday here asking users to guess how much, on the average, it would cost to get to that point using piers or blocks, doing the beams, floor joists, and then the 4x8 sheets over the whole thing. I was wondering about how much you think it cost you to get to that point?

Here's where I asked the question: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10211.0

Floor framing was right about $591 buying locally (cheaper then Home Depot actually).  I tracked all costs as well as I could :)

Erik

OlJarhead

Quote from: Weasel on February 02, 2011, 08:59:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsouThHml1U

That video helped me decide :)  $3500 delivered with some extras :)  I can't wait to get milling at a faster rate then with a chain saw!  Did you check out the milling pictures on an earlier page (32 I think)?  It's really awesome and the CSM will do the job nicely but I wanted to move faster ;)

OlJarhead

Quote from: ajbremer on February 02, 2011, 12:01:13 PM

Yup you GOTTA do the Country Plans Jig at that point :)

Barry Broome

I saw the pics of the chainsaw mill. I've been eye-balling the 20" Husqvarna at Lowe's, I really like it. My family has a portable sawmill (gas driven) and my Father in law cut nearly all the wood used in his 20X30 cabin. If done right, the amount of money you save is well worth it... especially if you have more spare time than you do cash. A portable sawmill is on my wish list but I'm in no hurry. I can't justify purchasing one at this point.

Good luck with the new mill!
"The press, like fire, is an excellent servant, but a terrible master."

OlJarhead

Quote from: Weasel on February 02, 2011, 10:30:53 PM
I saw the pics of the chainsaw mill. I've been eye-balling the 20" Husqvarna at Lowe's, I really like it. My family has a portable sawmill (gas driven) and my Father in law cut nearly all the wood used in his 20X30 cabin. If done right, the amount of money you save is well worth it... especially if you have more spare time than you do cash. A portable sawmill is on my wish list but I'm in no hurry. I can't justify purchasing one at this point.

Good luck with the new mill!

Cool :)

I'm VERY happy with the Husky 455 Rancher (20") -- quite impressed and I think for the money it's worth every dime!  I've done a LOT of cutting with it and it's the best saw I've used in years and years....

OlJarhead

The Mill has ARRIVED!  Muhahahahaha  NOW I'm going to get serious! :D

But first I have to get it to the cabin which will involve 4 tire chains, 4 wheel drive, a hope and a prayer!  It's 900lbs and will be trailered in...something I haven't tried on the thick ice to the cabin!

considerations

"I'm looking for ways to use the sawdust"  It will insulate blocks of ice in an ice house and keep them from melting or sticking together and burn hot enough in a 55 gal barrel to fire functional (non-waterproof) ceramics such as raku or tiles. 

Pine cones (from certain trees) are awesome fire starters as well.

I want to see pictures of this mill production!...just a small request (OK demand).  :)

OlJarhead

Quote from: considerations on February 08, 2011, 03:49:31 PM
"I'm looking for ways to use the sawdust"  It will insulate blocks of ice in an ice house and keep them from melting or sticking together and burn hot enough in a 55 gal barrel to fire functional (non-waterproof) ceramics such as raku or tiles. 

Pine cones (from certain trees) are awesome fire starters as well.

I want to see pictures of this mill production!...just a small request (OK demand).  :)

Oh you WILL get pics :)  I might even take pics of it on the crate :P

JavaMan

Yeah, a mill is on my wish list, too ... sadly, right now I have the spare time, but not the spare cash! (wish me luck tho - or if you're a prayin' type of person - say a prayer - I have one I'm waiting to hear on, one I'm waiting for when the 2nd interview is scheduled, and one I'm going to right now - so hopefully soon).... but maybe this spring you can bring it to my place and we can mill up a few things ... If I haven't gone a bought one myself by then.

Your place looks great! I am green with envy that you can drive in during the winter ... maybe someday the road will be passable up to mine  :(

astidham

Cant wait to see the pics of your mill!
I have been thinking about buying a portable wood-mizer LT28
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

rniles

I just wanted to say "thank you" to OlJarhead, JavaMan, Yonderosa, DIYFrank, SkagitDrifter and everyone else who has posted information and posted their progress and headaches. You all are an inspiration ...and have inspired me to get some land and start working toward this dream that I've been fearful of jumping into!
I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. - Col. Stonehill in 'True Grit'

Don_P

More uses for sawdust;
you already found out about traction on ice, I had to do that last week to get the trailer out.
We use it in between permanent beds in the garden, also a thick layer around the blueberries. have it around the dogwoods where the daffodils are (which is on of the few blooming things deer leave alone). We've used it to level walking paths through the woods, pin a fallen tree on the low side or the trail and fill the path with sawdust. Don't use it in permanent gravel roads it just gooks them up. Around building sites I'll use it sometimes to keep the mud down but usually it gets spoken for without leaving the farm. Planer shavings end up in the chicken coop. I have swapped fresh shavings for "used" shavings after the barn is cleaned out... the fresh smell better but the used is great fertilizer  ;D.

OlJarhead

Thanks all -- I'll get a couple pics today of the mill being transported up to the cabin but sadly none of it doing anything because we don't have time this weekend :(  Next weekend, however!!!!

So many col things about this mill!  1. the book explains all kinds of things about milling and drying lumber which is really nice since I'm a total noob to making lumber!  2.  They will give you 50 free double firs or 25 free red oaks just becuase you bought the mill! :) and finally they're customer service has been fantastic!

I can't wait to get started but must be patient as there are only so many weekends I can steal away.

Cheers
Erik

OlJarhead

The mill arrives!

Chained up all 4 to make it up the ice covered drive with the trailer and 900 lbs of mill plus some pallets!

Was 40 degrees when we made it up to the cabin but we had 8-10 inches of snow everywhere we hadn't previously driven or walked.

Only issue right now is that the composter for the toilet is in desperate need of a bigger roof and some better drainage.  It's not flooded (yet) but a few more inches of water and I'll have problems!  I didn't get pictures but this was something I knew could happen and just never got around to providing better protection so next weekend we'll have to address it before the snow starts to really melt.

OlJarhead

Notice the rear tire and how deep into the wheel well it is!  With 3+ inches of lift and an extra real leaf for towing it still isn't enough to give much clearance with the 31" tires and a loaded trailer but surprisingly enough the chains don't hit too much and then only the loose chains on the end (which you need a little long or you wouldn't get them on).

One thing I've learned is that the Old Man Emu suspension, even the heavy one, isn't the best if you are going to tow with much tongue weight.  I'm wondering if the 4.5" Rubicon or Skyjacker suspensions might actually be better when towing (Don?).

MountainDon

National Spring. You weigh the Jeep, both ends and also weigh the tongue weight of the trailer. Calculate or weigh the usual load to be carried. Give them a call and they make springs to suit.  I have Rubicon front coils (4.5) and National rear leafs. You don't need an add-a-leaf when National makes the springs. They ride nice. If the springs are made to carry a heavy load the Jeep will ride high when not loaded.

http://www.nationalsprings.com/

Next best would be the Rubicon leafs, IMO, but I hear they are temporarily (?) closed for reorganization.  I don't know anything about other brands other than some are way too stiff for me. I'd want to ask owners with other springs or ride in them.

Anything with more than 3.5 needs a slip yoke eliminator and a CV driveshaft. Tom Woods makes the best shafts  http://www.4xshaft.com/   That will also permit the t-case to be moved back up to the stock position. That also requires rear axle shims to tilt the pinion up. A never ending list.  Only use steel shims; aluminum shims will break. Not might break, will break. Sort like water always wins.  ;D

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

OlJarhead

Thanks Don,

I plan to put in the slip yoke eliminator when I get the T-Case rebuilt anyway, so that ought to set me on the right path to a little more lift if I want it -- or at least eliminate any issues with a slightly higher lift (say 3.5") with load capable rear springs.

Speaking of which, do you still have the rear anti-sway bar on?  I've read not to remove it when towing but often wonder how much lift you can get away without some kind of drop link like the fronts (jks quicker disco's on mine).

and back to the cabin..... I am pretty stoked to have the mill up at the property and now just need to get it assembled and milling lumber...we have MUCH planned!

Plan to start with 1/2" paneling (knotty pine), and 3/4" flooring (blue stained pine), then some structural stuff and exterior stuff (pine might not be the best but I have a ton which needs to be cut into something and I've read it's good for structural anyway).

Once we've milled a ton of lumber then we'll get back to working on the cabin -- this will give us time to finish wiring it out and finish back framing while the lumber is drying.

As spring approaches I also have to consider some other things on the list of 'to do' -- like planting a dozen fruit trees and two dozen Red Oaks :D  And then putting in a small well to provide them with more water since we don't get enough rain to keep them happy :D and then of course, fencing them in so the deer don't eat them before they are big enough to survive the deer!

So much to do and so little time!

MountainDon

Quote from: OlJarhead on February 13, 2011, 12:18:38 PM

Speaking of which, do you still have the rear anti-sway bar on?  I've read not to remove it when towing but often wonder how much lift you can get away without some kind of drop link like the fronts (jks quicker disco's on mine).

I have left the rear anti sway bar in place, because of trailer towing concerns. The Jeep seems to work okay with my 4.5" springs. A friend's XJ with same springs but no rear bar seems to act about the same ??? Another friend with an XJ has revolver rear shackles. With a setup like that the bar has to go.

I do have friends who don't own XJ's too.   ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Yonderosa

Will you be hiring out your sawmill services to the locals?
http://theyonderosa.blogspot.com/

"The secret to life is to be alive.  To live ultimately by one's own hand and one's own independent devices." -Ted Nugent

jharleyhammond

Hey OJH - how deep are those trenches? I have land near Tonasket & want to do the same thing, but I'm on bed rock at the top of a 2800' hill.

OlJarhead

Quote from: Yonderosa on February 15, 2011, 08:59:37 PM
Will you be hiring out your sawmill services to the locals?

Yes!  Actually this is something I've been talking to the boys about and suggested that it might be a way to recoup some of the expense of buying the mill.

Need some lumber milled?

Of course, we have a few thousand board feet to mill first but then!

OlJarhead

Quote from: jharleyhammond on February 15, 2011, 09:31:52 PM
Hey OJH - how deep are those trenches? I have land near Tonasket & want to do the same thing, but I'm on bed rock at the top of a 2800' hill.

Which ones?  The ones dug for the post & pier foundation?  If so, my next question is:  will you be permitting?