Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)

Started by Oljarhead, September 21, 2009, 02:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Quote from: diyfrank on April 27, 2010, 05:20:48 PM
What time will you be coming through Omak? We'll be hitting the Starbucks on our way through Saturday morning around 7:00. c*
I'm bringing a load of plywood over and I have some tree's I need to plant.

I'll be going through Friday night and then might be able to make it back Sat afternoon for old fashioned shakes.  My kid will like that. :)

Curlew...I see the signs for there but am uncertain how far away it is....

JavaMan

Sounds good!  If you don't call me first, I'll call you Friday afternoon.

diyfrank - I don't think I'd be in town at 7, but I'd probably be there around 10-11 "ish" (yeah, not real early - but it will depend on how tired I am from the night before)

diyfrank

Quote from: OlJarhead on April 27, 2010, 09:42:01 PM

Curlew is a hour past Tonasket up 20 to republic then north almost to the border.

Where do you stop for shakes? Tonasket?
Home is where you make it

OlJarhead

Quote from: diyfrank on April 28, 2010, 07:07:54 AM
Quote from: OlJarhead on April 27, 2010, 09:42:01 PM

Curlew is a hour past Tonasket up 20 to republic then north almost to the border.

Where do you stop for shakes? Tonasket?

Hmmm...there's a place up there we almost bought (until we saw it -- what a mess)....

There is a place in downtown Omak that makes great old fashioned ones.

Republic has a nice little restaurant too actually :)

OlJarhead

Got the Composter and Seat today :D

So this trip we will be bringing up the Composter, Seat and Riser for an outhouse with us :D

JavaMan

I hope it doesn't turn into a crappy trip for you  ;D

Sorry, I was channeling my dad for a minute....

You'll have to email me the name of the place with the shakes - I can't say I've ever been to anyplace other than the one place (I think it's called The Bread Line) ...

OlJarhead

It's been a year but going west from Home Depot, cross the hihgway and keep going.  The road will turn to the south and downhill.  One at the bottom of the hill (short distance) you should be in town :)

On the left about 1 1/2 blocks in is a family restaurant with Disney characters and I think trains around the ceiling shelved....they make old fashion shakes.

OlJarhead

MaGoos I am on my cell so can't add much but we stopped by for lunch at 2

JavaMan

Well, I missed you! I was in town a bit earlier than 2, but would have been able to make it back (needed to make another supply run about that time) c*

Ah well, next time.  I am thinking the weekend of the 15th for my next trip.

Check out my thread in a few minutes for what I actually accomplished!  Decided to head home a bit early for various reasons, which are in my thread.

I'll just have to plan better and make sure that we've connected before the weekend  d*

OlJarhead

Figuring out where to put things :)

OlJarhead

Locating where the composter will go

OlJarhead

The itch is hard to resist but we're not going up this weekend....too much to do.

However, I bought a shock of ebay for our older ATV for $55 ($25+shipping of $30 from Hawaii) that saved us $300+!!!!!  It was a perfect match too :D

Now we're wating on front shocks and then I'll get a trailer too....they are like little tractors :)

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on May 07, 2010, 11:33:59 AM
The itch is hard to resist but we're not going up this weekend....too much to do.

However, I bought a shock of ebay for our older ATV for $55 ($25+shipping of $30 from Hawaii) that saved us $300+!!!!!  It was a perfect match too :D

Now we're wating on front shocks and then I'll get a trailer too....they are like little tractors :)

I hear you on the ATVs - I've been wanting one for a while myself.  I've been looking at them on craigslist, but just don't have the cash for one yet. I think it would make a nice work horse up at my property and with all the various attachments you can get for them these days, I think they'd probably work better in the garden at home than the garden tractor we have, too!

Solar Burrito

Ya they are serioius work horses. We used our Honda Forman 400 to drag a 500 lb stump out of the ditch to burn. It was so heavy the quad would barely move it up a steep hill and we had an extra person sitting on the front of the quad for extra traction to the front wheels oh and to steer!  ::)

Love that thing, it drags regular logs with ease.
Small Shelters, Off Grid Living, and Other Neat Stuff http://solarburrito.com

OlJarhead

When we were dumb and using credit we bought a Honda Rancher 420 (2007) on the Honda card deal they had going.  We pay that off next month :D

We then had a friend who wanted to sell his 1996 Yamaha Big Bear 350 for $200 and a couch :D :D  [cool]

We bought that and found that it ran like a champ and just needed cosmetic work and tires etc.

Now with everything in it we're still well below $1000!!!  And we've used it for two years of HARD riding and stump pulling :D

We use them to get firewood, haul gear and more.

We plan to get a trailer (or two) and eventually a 750 4x4 with plow etc...but we also enjoy playing on them :)

One nice thing is that it's fast to go to the top of our place where cell coverage can be reached and the kids will drive to the store on them (3 miles of off roading).  Gotta love it

OlJarhead

OK we're off in a couple hours to get some more work done -- changed plans because of a job interview I have on Wed (darn it  d* ).

But we ordered the greywater system and will be doing the roofing, toilet and chimney over the next two weeks!

Solar Burrito

[cool] cool, I'm very interested in your grey water system and Chimney, take good photos, hahha. Have a great time, hope the weather over there is as good as it's going to be on the west side!
Small Shelters, Off Grid Living, and Other Neat Stuff http://solarburrito.com

OlJarhead

We're back for a day or two then we'll be back at it again for 4 or 5. 

Didn't get much done though :(  Partly because of weather and partly because my old Tendinitis came back for a while (long story short it involves nerve gas and the desert) but then with some good supplements and perseverance we managed to get the composter's floor installed (below grade though it isn't recommended -- more on that later) and did a bit of siding to allow us to finish the composting toilet install.

I forgot my camera (and cordless drill as well as a few other things) this trip so the cell phone camera was all I had.

What started as a "I only need this much room" project turned into "oh wait but I need MORE" project and involved digging out a 4 foot by 6 foot by 18" deep hole then layering the bottom with 6 mil plastic, dropping pavers down and setting 4x4 PT floor framing and insulation (3/4" white foam that I had laying around) and finally some 3/4" T&G OSB that we treated with green nasty stuff. 

With the 'floor' level we were able to finally get the composter set and the piping roughed in (not glued yet).

Next we'll put in walls and like a root cellar we'll put some 6 mil plastic around the base to protect it a bit and clear the dirt pile from the front (ramp it) so we can get to the drawer etc.

Luckily the composter is designed to be removed if needed so we can always do something more permanent later.  For now this will suffice until we get the covered porch built at which time we'll not have to worry about moisture (which we don't much anyway).

We had to dig a french cesspit for overflow but managed to get that deep enough and finally are ready to complete the install....sheesh!

The interior we realized we had to plumb in Felxpex now as well as any romex so we can insulate and drywall the walls behind the toilet itself.

We hope to have that done on Friday so we can get back to the roof on Saturday....

I need more time though!

OlJarhead

One thing I'm trying to determine is whether or not I should use a clear sealant/stain on the rough T1-11 before the finish stain or not?

The area we are in gets very little rain (at most 15" a year) and I've seen a lot of exposed OSB that's been out in the open a LONG time and yet still seems to hold it's integrity (in appearance anyway).  Doesn't mean much to me because I will treat our siding but I'm curious at what your thoughts are?

Also I'm looking for that classic siding color that I can only describe as a 'honey' color...if anyone has a picture of what they think it might be (type of stain and color) I'd be grateful.  In the meantime the wife and I will go to Home Depot and pic up a few different stains and see which one we think has the right color for our tastes (light, honey -- we like oak -- type color)....

Cheers

Redoverfarm

Quote from: OlJarhead on May 18, 2010, 11:57:17 PM
One thing I'm trying to determine is whether or not I should use a clear sealant/stain on the rough T1-11 before the finish stain or not?

The area we are in gets very little rain (at most 15" a year) and I've seen a lot of exposed OSB that's been out in the open a LONG time and yet still seems to hold it's integrity (in appearance anyway).  Doesn't mean much to me because I will treat our siding but I'm curious at what your thoughts are?

Also I'm looking for that classic siding color that I can only describe as a 'honey' color...if anyone has a picture of what they think it might be (type of stain and color) I'd be grateful.  In the meantime the wife and I will go to Home Depot and pic up a few different stains and see which one we think has the right color for our tastes (light, honey -- we like oak -- type color)....

Cheers

If you apply a clear sealant prior to the finished stain color it may prevent the stain from doing it's job.  I would reverse the process and apply stain first then sealant.

MountainDon

Quote from: OlJarhead on May 18, 2010, 11:57:17 PM

As John said, but more emphatically. No, no, no.!

A true stain needs to soak into the wood, although those that are made semi-transparent will leave a fair amount of pigment on the surface. Any kind of a clear coat that seals the surface will block staining action.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

OlJarhead

Thanks guys -- I think I misspoke so to speak -- I'd read somewhere (I think JR posted it) that there was a clear treatment for exposed wood siding that should be applied first (or maybe it was in a cabin building book).....

But I suspect it isn't as important as just getting a stain on and sealing it.

I also need to put down some ant bait!  And more mouse traps/bait.  I think there must be a million forest mice and the ants have invaded!

John Raabe

There are penetrating clear coatings that can also be colored and used as a stain/sealant. This one is a two coat process.

http://www.weatherall.com/1047UVGII.html

If you are using a pure stain, it would go on first before any sealant coating.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

MountainDon

There are clear products that are meant to be applied to wood just before staining. They are usually used on furniture or interior wood. Their purpose is to stop or moderate the blotchiness that sometimes occurs when staining some woods. They ate applied, let to soak in and then wiped dry. The stain is them immediately applied while the prestain is damp.    There may some prestain treatments for logs, but I don't know much about using logs.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.