Interesting Fire

Started by glenn-k, September 29, 2006, 07:35:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn-k

We know how to spend our money in California.  Use it to put out someones trash burning fire.

This fire is burning just a few miles up the road from where I am working - many firefighters are staying at the motel I'm at.

There are over 4000 firefighters on this fire.

http://www.the-signal.com/?module=displaystory&story_id=33145&format=html

glenn kangiser

Satelite Image

New Images

Day Fire, Southern California

Northwest of Los Angeles, the Day Fire was churning out a thick, snake-like plume of smoke (see large image) on September 17, 2006, when the Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) on NASA's Aqua satellite passed overhead and captured this image. Places where the sensor detected actively burning fire are outlined in red. The smoke blankets several of the Channel Islands, leaving Santa Rosa partially visible.

The human-caused fire had been burning since September 4 in mixed brush and scattered timber in the Los Padres and Angeles National Forests and the Sespe Wilderness. As of September 18, 2006, the 60,589-acre fire was only about 15 percent contained. Evacuations and road closures were in place in the area, including the northwest part of Fillmore.

The Day Fire grew explosively over the weekend of September 16, when winds picked up dramatically. The blaze grew more than 50,000 acres in one day according to an article on the LATimes.com Website. Daily images of the area provided by the MODIS Rapid Response Team show a dramatic difference in the fire's size and smokiness on September 16 and 17. According to the daily report from the National Interagency Fire Center, the rapidly spreading fire threatened homes, a watershed, campgrounds, power and gas lines, and communications equipment.

NASA image by Jeff Schmaltz, MODIS Rapid Response Team, Goddard Space Flight Center.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

It must be Bush's fault   ::)
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

As I drove by there I could see many bushes burning so it is undeniable that that is where the pollution is coming from. :)

Currently at 162,702 acres fully contained but not under control yet.  Mop up operations continue around hot spots near edges.- trying to get 300 feet clear to all areas.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

Burning Bushes may be a short term polution problem, but, longer term, might be better for the environment.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

Yeah- the Indians used to burn around here regularly about 150 years ago.  Kept the oak trees healthy for good acorns, Bull pines for pine nuts and the wild flowers like it.

Ash has many nutrients necessary for good plant growth and fire puts it all back into the ground.  I read up on it quite a bit when wondering if my stove ashes could be recycled.  They are rather slow acting but in a few years they greatly increase productivity of gardens - much better than sole use of commercial fertilizer which mainly takes things out of the soil.  This had been proven to the author of the article  I was reading by Asian gardeners  if I recall correctly.

benevolance

Glenn

The ash does increase the nutrient level in the soil...The thing about year 2 and three is that you need to keep adding ash to keep raising the quality of the soil...

Just make sure that you do not burn alot of plastic garbage in the stove or the ashes will have nasty chemicals in them potentially

I read an article on manure...If you burn manure for a source of heat and save the ashes it has amazing potential as fertilizer...Crop yields up as much as 30% over chemical fertilizers

It is worth checking out man...I have  the article here somewhere

glenn kangiser

There was a guy who experimented a lot with making manure logs for burning.  Said they didn't have a bad smell and he finally made a system of making logs that worked out pretty well -- may have used the little wife's bread pans. :-/

I remember that the ash in the garden started out a bit slow but in a few years there was a great increase in production.