14X24 modified to 14X30

Started by harkins823, March 06, 2005, 04:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

jonsey/downunder

I agree, very nice. I particularly like the nice blue table with the black legs in image 219ab4. I am thinking of getting one for my lounge room, that is if I can get it past Mrs. goanna jonesy. ;D
jonesy.
I've got nothing on today. This is not to say I'm naked. I'm just sans........ Plans.

Okie_Bob

Hey Jonsey, anyone that sleeps with a leaf blower is a friend of mine! 21509y proves that man's best friend is anything that runs on gasoline!
BTW, the cabin looks great and I especially like the siding on the interior walls, looks great in the cabin.

I am curious about the roof. The pic that shows the transisition is covered with leaves and I'm wondering how that is made leakproof? I have the same metal roof but, no transitions for fear it would never hold water..or shed water.

Is gonna pronounced go nah?
Okie Bob

Jimmy C.

The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

Shelley

The pics that are of the roof looking down I think are a little optical illusion.  The porch roof looks dead flat.

There's another pic, 45U, that shows an end view.  I believe that there's some pitch and I think that one can barely see here how they installed it.

The normal way would be to tuck the porch roof under the gable roof.  Water comes off the main roof and falls to the porch roof and thus off.

I prefer more pitch and I live in NM.  To prevent any chance of water rolling back against the house wall.

So, you have to think about the design somewhat as you're planning.  If there's no break, may have to reduce the pitch of the house, and lose headroom in the loft.  Or, reduce the depth of the porch.  If there is a break, have to think about sidewall height, at what height the porch roof begins and how much you can bring it down without ducking ;)

If the break is over the interior in some kind of gull wing roof, that's done all the time here.  Seems to work fine, tho I've never done it.  Just not the look that I prefer.  Just think that one has to be careful about pitch and make sure there's enough overlap in the panels.
It's a dry heat.  Right.

Amanda_931

Around here people tended to put porches on the gable ends, often at a much lower pitch than the gable.  The porch roofs tend to sag and fail.  Especially after a heavy snow year.

But yay! they have a house they can live in.

John Raabe

I like what the Harkins' did with their stair. It is difficult to get a full stairway into such a small house. They got it to work and I like the simple pine board railings that give visual privacy to the loft but still keep it open.

None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

Nice to know you're alive, Bob.  Jonesy was worried about you.  It's pronounced "Go Anna" - probably named after one of Crocodile Dundee's old girlfriends. ;D

In my experience I have noted that sometimes to get the headroom you need on a porch etc. addon it is common to go to a fairly flat slope, but leaf buildup usually requires at least annual attention.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

Hence the leaf blower at the ready.  :D
None of us are as smart as all of us.

donna harkins

Thanks for all the great comments on the cabin we do like it a whole lot. I did make a mistake it is for now a 14x32 but our construction is underway to add on the back a 12x32 it will make a bedroom and a 1/2 bath and a 12x12 covered patio then we will be adding anothing deck not covered that is a 24x 24 for entertaining and this last weekend just purchased a hot tub for it. The reason the front roof line looks as it does, it was an after thought to build the front decks and then an after thought to cover them but a good thing we did because I need to post the before pictures. A big difference it made. I have fallen in love with some of yours also on here to. For whoever liked my end table if my husban doesnt move it soon it will be up for silent auction. Our porch and roof for that fact has never leaked by the way. My husband just gets up there ever so often and blows of the leaves. I will try to post more pics as we proceed with our plans and you all keep us posted with yours. Looks like you all are doing a fine job. Its hard to believe what you all have done with those little 14x24 plans and everyone imagination is so different. look forward to hearing from you. Donna Harkins

hunter63

Very nice!!!!!!!
Wife wants to know how many closets! and where?

Jimmy C.

I am interested as to how you framed the foundation.  I think I see a mixture of 4x4s and 4x6s. What type of soil is this sitting on? I will need to do this for the long side of the Universal 2-story I am building..

Thanks Jimmy

The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.

Jimmy C.

I see that she has only one post.. Maybe someone knows how to get in touch with her? :-/

glenn kangiser

You could click on the envelope by her name to send e-mail, Jimmy.

Glenn