Anyone familiar with First Day Cottage?

Started by Tina Gaskins, April 30, 2005, 03:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amanda_931

That way works too.

A third way would be "for various reasons I need some kind of specialized stuff (e.g. ventilation, clean air, protection against climate change, or wheelchair access) and and that is the point of building."

JRR

I think I can remember when house kits first became available.  Advertisements showed up in "Popular Mechanics" and the like.

The kit-bug bit a fellow co-worker "Fred".  He selected a (big) house plan and sent in his money for a complete kit.  Then for days he happily shared with us the artist conception drawings of what was to be his dream home.

Reality struck harshly the day the trucks arrived and left behind all those materials ... plywood, studs, window units and rolls of insulation lying on the ground.  I'm not sure of Fred's building skills, but I know he did not have time for a building project of his own.  It was during a building-boom ... so he could not interest any contractor to take the project.  

Another co-worker who lived near Fred's site said he later saw weeds enveloping the piles of material.  

Fred never mentioned it.

John Raabe

Interesting story JRR!

It is sad to see a lot of expensive materials overwhelm an inexperienced builder who may not even be able to store them properly in a ventilated and dry place.

House materials can rot quickly if not used and then brought under cover in a timely manner.

Another reason to start small and slow and learn what you need as you go...

Kit houses while often sold to inexperienced builders are most appropriate for an experienced crew lined up and ready to go for a quick project. They can be a cost-effective way to build in remote locations with short building seasons (Alaska and northern Canada?) In these locations you have to be experienced enough to get all the right materials together before they ship and then be able to put them together as initially planned and on time. If a new builder can do this the first time it will be a minor miracle!
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Greenbank

John, others,

Just what is the "ruin" time limit on framing before it's dried in? I know that depends a whole lot on the climate and time of year, but generally speaking. Six months with occasional rain? A year? Two weeks in the winter?

And is it considered "out of danger" when a tar-papered roof goes on, or only when house-wrapped siding is also in place, or what?

I'm trying to imagine myself building and wondering whether a delay on my part at a critical juncture would ruin the entire project.
A fool and his money are soon elected.

John Raabe

A lot depends on climate, especially rain, humidity and storms.... that and your luck!

However, here are some suggestions:

• Framing, especially OSB subfloors and roof sheathing should not stay continually soaked for longer than a few weeks. Use exterior grade plywood for slow building in wet climates. OSB can puff up.
• A roof with only lapped roofing paper as covering will give a great deal of protection for several months as long as it isn't damaged.
• Once walls are sheathed and building paper is up, the house is protected quite well for many months or even a year. Get some sort of roof covering on however, even if only roll roofing.

glenn kangiser

From observations as I am working on projects and talking to a project manager about this a few weeks ago, the six months or so could be near it.  It can vary greatly but after six months of off and on rain, OSB t+g flooring was getting to look pretty rough- kinda rough on top with swelled wood chips.  He said he was close to having damage but they got the roof on in time.  

Sun or time can also dry studs and twist and warp them from a little to a lot.  Many times they have to go back through and replace studs or framing that have warped an unacceptable amount. :-/
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

Found this image on the old forum. It's a First Day cottage.

DavidLeBlanc

Not exactly generous with roof overhangs, are they?  :o

Kevin McAfee

Just thought I'd add my two cents.  I seriously considered the Firstday approach.  I wanted overahangs, and the system was able to accomodate that desire.  I think their goal with the package/concept is a fast build.  True, this system is not the only way to achieve that goal, but it is hard to argue with repetition!  I am currently in the process of building a home (by owner) that has taken advantage of the concepts on this forum.  I did the design, and had an architect review and stamp it.  There has been more than one evening spent scratching my head when on paper and thru "thought experiments"  I thought it was all figured out.

With overhangs, you now have eaves to finish.  It isn't a whole lot of fun at the top of the ladder or scaffold looking up!  It adds considerable time, and that is why I think it is left out as a "standard"

Also, back in the 80's, I think Rodale Press had a plan out for a garage or shed that used the same laminated timber framing concept.  I saw the plan, but do not own a copy.  Does anyone remeber this?