Home Accessories - handmade -  built-ins etc.

Started by glenn-k, March 21, 2006, 01:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PEG688

Got the book shelf unit assembled , so a couple of more coats of finish and I can install them on  Wed.

Nice Jatoba ply back as well, eh ;)

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Ok I confess :o the back is not really Jatoba  :-[, it Mahogany :) stained with a mix to match colour ;D

Thanks guys  ;)

glenn-k

Nice unique one of a kind island.  Great job.

Wow -- I kinda sound like a real estate agent now. :-/

peg_688

I made another Jatoba  island top about 7 or 8 years ago Mr. RealEstate man  ;D This ones nicer ;) The client said it was
"Gorgeous "  8-)

glenn-k

Sassy

Woodsrule

This is my first attempt so be gentle ;D  This is a rustic porch swing I recently made from pear, hickory, and maple.  The maple was rescued from the burn pile; the pieces were extra from a bowling alley overrun.  I drawknife the wood and construct with mortise and tenons with gorilla glue for a waterproof joint.  Tony

MountainDon

It takes some patience to fit all that together. Nice job, Tony!

peg_688

Nice job Tony  8-) It might be a LIL low though ;D

So is that ,((( Insert the name of the previous owner , Yessh I wish I hadn't deleted that PM  ;D )) , place  ?? Out in the Whipple road area.    

glenn-k

Looks great, Tony.  Did you make the tenons with the draw knife also, or just bark the wood?

PEG -- It's a swing-- you are supposed to stick your legs straight out. :)

Woodsrule

Don, Thanks for the kind words.  I do enjoy this type of woodworking. I've done other kinds, but these projects are very satisfying.

PEG, this piece is exactly the right size for me, since I'm a bit "vertically challenged."  Yes, this is some of my place, at the end of the driveway is North road.  Turn left and Whipple is about 300 feet down. The Chauvins would like what I've done with the stone as their ancestors were all masons. In fact, I've found two hand dug wells on the place.  We had to fill them in for liability purposes, but they were made with great skill, and I'm sure, pride.

Glenn,  I do rough out the tenons with my drawknife, then finish them with the Veritas tenon makers.  I used to do them all by hand, but Veritas makes a good product at a reasonable price, so I can speed up the process a bit. FYI - this piece took me about 30 hours to build, so I'm not getting rich by making this type of furniture. :)  Thanks to all for your comments, Tony

PEG688

Well seeing I put the island top on this thread I'll add the rest of the Jatoba (Brazilian Cherry) top photos here as well,

big sink hole ,

Mitered corner,

Cam style "suck-ups" under corner,

Corner with Maloofs poly / oil finish applied ,

View from dinning room , things yet to do , install sink / dishwasher / S/S back splash tiles ,

Oven wall ,

Sink wall, sink is just dropped in the hole to check fit and for photo op,

glenn kangiser

Nice work, PEG.

That is a big sink hole.  :o

Here's another one.

Big Sink Hole
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

peg_688

QuoteNice work, PEG.

That is a big sink hole.  :o

Here's another one.

Big Sink Hole

Is this a set up for some one to say ," But Glenn that looks like a really big ICE hole to me! "

glenn-k

peg_688

QuoteLooks like you just did. ;D

Ay ya I did  ;D Thanks for the set-up ;) Of course I did pre-set it for you with the big sink hole photo/ caption , but the truck thru the ice was to tempting ;D

glenn-k

Redoverfarm

Can't anyone tell this guy was just ice fishing. You can see part of the fishing pole on the top of his ice house.

glenn-k

Looks like he's hopin' to drag out a big one. :-/

Preston

Looks Great Peg!  Any rough dimensions on that kitchen?  I really love the look of wood countertops.

MountainDon

Very nice kitchen. Those folks ought to to be quite pleased.

And that is a pretty big sink hole, no matter which one you look at.

The one reminds me of the winter roads that were used across lakes and tundra to remote settlements in northern Manitoba. The rest of the year everything was flown in. When they started out each winter they begin by clearing the snow off the ice. That enables the ice to freeze thicker. That initial clearing would be done by getting a big Cat in motion with the "driver" walking behind steering with long ropes. They'd lose a Cat every so often, but not the driver.

glenn-k

It's trying to tell you that the weather there is incompatible with human life -- then they go try to fool it with a CAT.

It's not nice to fool mother nature.