Adding a Balcony

Started by melwynnd, April 03, 2005, 10:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

melwynnd

John,

We got our Victoria's Cottage plans last week.  We are so Excited!!

I was wondering how are it would be to use the front porch structure as a balcony to the upstairs bedroom.  I've always wanted a balcony!!

Thanks,

Sherry
Sherry

Good things come in small packages!!

John Raabe

I would think you could work that up and have a door out onto it from the bedroom. You will want to build the deck so that it is waterproof and keeps the porch dry. The floor of the deck should be set an inch lower than the door and drain away from the wall. Perhaps into scuppers depending on how you do the railing wall.

There will be a number of details to work out and several options as to how it looks, but I think it would be an interesting modification.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

melwynnd

Thanks John,

Moisture is not a problem here....We get less precip than Phoenix AZ. :-/

Since it doesn't sound too hard, I think we will plan on the balcony.  I can just see it with planters filled with flowers all around the railing!!  The balcony will face south, so should be a nice place to sit most of the year. 8)  The good thing about almost no rain is GREAT solar potential.

Sherry

Sherry

Good things come in small packages!!

John Raabe

If you could build a spaced deck board floor of the balcony and not worry about an occasionally drip on the front porch it should be fairly simple construction.

It could almost be like a walk-out trellis...
None of us are as smart as all of us.