Vinyl soffit install over existing facia

Started by retiredmarine, July 28, 2019, 06:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retiredmarine

I've decided to go the vinyl siding route but I made that decision after I installed the aluminum fascia on the gable ends.  I'm considering using 2 F-channels to hang the soffit. One against the house and one under the bottom of the fascia.  Thought?

BTW I'd love to show you a picture but it seems Photobucket has decided that not only if you up load too many pictures to it you pay but now if the traffic to see those pictures (like posting in here) is high then you also pay.  BOO!!

Redoverfarm

Generally you would install the channel on the house side of the overhang.  The 2x material you used at the end of your rafter would be the other point to attach.  Using a level (squared on the facial 2x ) mark that point.  The bottom of the channel needs to be set 15/16 of an inch below that level mark if you are using standard vinyle vented soffit material.  Then your facia metal is slipped under your drip edge and up to your soffit to cover your nails.

retiredmarine

Yup that's exactly how I would have done it had I not already installed the metal facia.  Now I have a finished look on the facia and I need to go back and install vinyl soffits.  I can still attach the F channel to the wall but it looks like the J channel  (or modified F channel) will have to be attached to the bottom of the fascia.  I was looking to see if anyone had to do that themselves, maybe in a remodel situation.

Redoverfarm

Is there a possibility to carefully remove the trim nails and remove the metal and reinstall once you get the soffit done?  Generally it is not nailed except every 18-24" through the bottom flange.

retiredmarine

That's one of the options I'm going to explore tomorrow when I get up there close enough to hold some soffit material and J channel close enough to see. another option is to install the J channel on the backside of the soffit inside of the cavity. Then the vinyl pieces would be even with the bottom of the fascia.  I hope that makes sense.. I'd take a picture but... darn Photobucket!!

retiredmarine

Good news! The bottom of the aluminum flashing will give enough for me to get the edge of the siding under it! So it's going to look just like its supposed to.  F channel against the house and the aluminum flashing over the exposed end.  Thanks ever one!