chickens

Started by StinkerBell, March 30, 2007, 02:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StinkerBell

For the first time I am an owner of 3 chickens.

This is a new venture for our family.

All these baby chicks seem to do is eat, sleep and poop. Much like a new baby.

Any other chicken owners here?

Amanda_931

Nope.  Closest I've ever come to having a chicken is my neighbor's retired fighting cock that roamed the neighborhood.

glenn-k

I used to have one of those, Amanda. :-/

Sassy

We've raised about 25 chickens that we bought as chicks - Glenn ordered a bunch of fertilized eggs but only 2 hatched & they were roosters - we used an incubator that warmed & turned the eggs.  We think that when the eggs were shipped they got too cold & killed them.  

We also raised 4 ducks, 5 guinea hens & 4 turkeys.  Ducks are very messy - poop in the water & when they eat, they have to rinse the food in the water to be able to swallow it - but they are really cute & fun.  

We gave our neighbors the 1st batch of chickens - Glenn built a big chicken coop between our properties & a small shelter inside it - he ended up making another coop for us on the other side of our property.  We all had more eggs than we could eat, we gave away a lot.  

When they are chicks, you just keep them warm, feed & water them & yes, all they do is eat & poop & peep, you gotta clean their cage out every couple days until they are big enough to be let out.  We initially let our chickens free range until we started missing one or 2 everyday...

We had a bear break into the pen a couple times - killed all the guinea hens & some of the chickens & a couple of the ducks.   Glenn & his son were fixing the pen when we heard the bear growling at us down the hill... he ended up shooting it one night after it had broken into other barns, coops & even went through someones screen door!

We've had coyotes, raccoons & bobcats kill all but 2 chickens - that's all we have left & there's a skunk getting into the pen now & eating the eggs... our neighbor only has 3 chickens left.  

I was at the feed store today - they had a bunch of baby chicks - they were so cute!  I wanted to get some more but until we have time to work on the fencing around the area for the chickens to run, its almost futile.  

The eggs are really good, though!  

Sassy

Be careful of the roosters - we had one the was nice but the other one would attack you!   :o

peg_688

I was at the feed store today - they had a bunch of baby chicks - they were so cute!  I wanted to get some more but until we have time to work on the fencing around the area for the chickens to run, its almost futile.  

They had some at our local feed store dyed orange , pink ,etc the lil chick's that is . Wierd what people will do to critters , rabbits are popular as pets this time of year as well. Then they get sick of um and letum go at the local park , coyotes apprecatie it , easy eats .

You guys should get more those Coyotes might go hungry  ;D

My neighbor across the street had chickens a few years backone blew in on a storm , so he fed it , then got a few more for company , he had a rooster as well , It was cool havin chickens in town . But some dogs that ran the nieghborhood killed most of them one day , one lived so Nel's gave it to a kid who was in 4 H . He'd letum run around his yard they seldom , if ever crossed the road , guess they didn't care what was on the other side  ;D

Good luck with your chickens , PEG      

glenn-k

I'm having a hard time keeping pets now, PEG.  I have the think about the welfare of the chicken.   It wouldn't be fair for me to get more when i don't have enough time to play with them.  I'm afraid they would be mal-adjusted.  They could turn into a couple of bad eggs. :-/

http://www.kokosuniverse.com/avi/jm/wma/if_eggs_had_legs.htm

Note - the above plays a windows media file so use IE or IE tab in Firefox.

StinkerBell

Our chicks names are Hazel, Mildred, and Gertrude. They are 16 days old.

Sex Links (a cross breed that color 95% of the time determines the sex).

Anyways, yesterday I was cleaning out the box and the big blond one (Hazel) was just running around. I immediately thought that this little chirpy thing looks like Dr Ruth. I then realized I was just associating the breed with my thoughts of Dr. Ruth. So, I continued to clean the cage and found myself talking to this chick telling her all about my hubby. Dr Ruth, her new and now correct name. Told me what is wrong with my hubby. She said he is "Cheap Cheap Cheap".

glenn-k

I don't know if I can handle that, Stinkerbell.   :-/

I'd post some kind of a smart alec comment but I'm still in shock.  :)

StinkerBell

Thats ok Glenn. This Sunday (April 1) is our 9th Anniversary. We married on this day because we knew that humor is so needed in a marriage. ;)

glenn-k

Congrats, Stinkerbell.  If you've made it 9 years and can still laugh most of the time that's doing pretty good.  

If you're both laughing that's great.  

If only one of you is laughing that may not be as good.  

If you're laughing at each other .... well ... I may have to consult Dr Ruth on that one. :-/

benevolance

gawd my anniversary is on the 12... nooooooo I have to think of yet another excuse why my wife and I still should not celebrate anniversaries...*LOL*

Last year I told her that our 25th will not seem special if we celebrate each one before it...*LOL* ;)

This year I think I will tell her it is bad for the environment... or something...Help glenn

glenn-k

Tell her it is bad luck to count them.  When you get to 25 it's time to start over. ::)

peg_688

Now Glenn that's not unversally true  ;D

Stinker a cheap husbands better than cheating husbands  :o

So Dr. Ruth eh she'll make a nice pie one day ;D

Peter yer wife must be in line fer Saint hood Eh ;D

Maybe she'll beat out JP for the title .

glenn-k

I thought there was only a 25 year warranty. :-?

fishing_guy

Benevolence,

You're missing the boat.

Buy her a nice shop tool or the like.  

My wife got a chainsaw for our 24th anniversary last year.

Of course, I had to spring for a cruise this year to make up for that one :(

benevolance

the chainsaw is an amazing idea....I just bought one last month though...

I wonder if a Cement Mixer could be romantic?

Who is JP?

And the bad luck to count idea is pretty good....

I will use all the info I get guys...Never can have too much  synergy here :)

I know where there is a  cute little Cabriolet Convertible fixer upper and she loves those...Maybe that will fend off the divorce papers another year?

Problem is do I spend $800 on a car...When I could be spending that on the house... :-/

Ladies you never have to worry about a cheap or financially repsonsible man cheating on you....I have trouble digesting where the money goes with one woman....Imagine if I had to keep a mistress up...

mmmmmm a mistress.... well enough of that... :P

benevolance

dunno if I could ever go for a cruise

too much water for me... scary hearing about tourists getting robbedand thrown overboard....Desert for the sharks....

Besides if you want to vacation there is no need to leave North America...Some of the most beautiful land in the world...Pristine mountains and streams...Forests...

Europe might be nice and all... But there is a lifetime of sightseeing and adventure here on this continent....

The only place I would even consider visiting is New Zealand...

peg_688

Who is JP?

mmmmmm a mistress.... /quote]

#1:  The Last Pope , John Paul ,

Mystery nun the key to Pope John Paul II's case for sainthood

Link :http://www.guardian.co.uk/pope/story/0,,2044967,00.html

One of the problems  with satire, :( your audence needs to be up on the subject.  ::)  ;D  

#2: MTL a money saver! ;D

benevolance

Peg

never in my life have I had time for keeping up with the Catholic church...I go to church some and my wife and I have a supper once a week at the baptist church and there is a bible study there So we do get to read a little of the bible every so often...We enjoy it...

But as for vatican city and all of that I know nothing about it and care not one bit to start trying to learn....What they do there is of no concern to me now or ever.

peg_688

No problem Peter but it is sort of national news , your "news  filter " / ability to block out crap , must be better than mine.  ;D

I am glad to hear about your Baptist church / bible study though 8-)

But the JP thing was more of a suttle joke than anything else.  Must have been to suttle eh :-[

StinkerBell

Nothing wrong with a good bible study IMO. I do them.

I even go to church.   :)

benevolance

well I get to church about 50% of the time...I make about 75% of the bible study dinners on wednesday nights

benevolance

Peg...

The busier my life gets...
The less my ability for humor seems to work...Subtle or not...

truth be told I spend half an hour reading the news online everyday (I always make time for that) and beyond that I never get any news....I have not turned a TV on for a long time...I watch a few hours a year.. well maybe more than that... not much though :) Which is good because TV is crap.... Propaganda ads...Brainwashing... Drug and Food commercials...It is all a scam aimed at you and me on the subliminal level...

Watch a couple hours of TV with the wife tonight and half the Commercials will be for Drugs and Food...Over half.... The Drugs do more damage than good and cure nothing....And the food is all crap pure sugar and fat with additives in it to make you addicted to it....

If I was phillip morris I would be pissed...They banned tobacco ads from the TV saying they were too suggestive powerful seeing the ads made people want to smoke.... Well what the hell is the difference between the message tobacco was sending out and the one McDonalds or  Merck are sending out?

I miss TV not one iota.....

peg_688

Speaking of TV I'm watching Discovery channel right now , a new series called Planet Earth , this one's about deserts , great show , outstanding camera work at getting the wierd / different parts / conditions of deserts .

Worth the watching IMO.