Put a Face on that Name

Started by MountainDon, March 16, 2007, 08:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

In the Garden Thread   http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1144892741    Sassy posted

QuoteYes, it is nice to grow your own fruits & veggies - & they taste so much better!  That's a pretty nice lemon tree you have - & [highlight]we finally got to see a picture of you - I'm always curious what people look like [/highlight]- you're kinda a younger Glenn  :o !  ;)

[highlight]Please do post more pictures[/highlight]  :)

What a Great Idea, I thought!!  ;D

So being as I'm all dressed up in my finest St. Patrick's Day attire I thought I'd start a new thread to assign a face to those names we see. Only if you want to of course.

:o :o There's a little Leprechaun in each of us.  :-/ Somewhere.

It's really more green that the picture depicts.  :-[

peg_688

Looks like a red X to me Mtn. D,  better brush up on photo posting. :o

MountainDon

Hmmm? Off to a bad start there. But the picture comes up for me?   :-?

As an alternate, the direct, DIY link is  
https://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q75/djmillerbucket/StPatricksDay/DontheLepracaun-C-250x346.jpg
:)

peg_688

Here ya go , lets see if I can post it :-/

Now I can see it, yup yer green ;D

jraabe

Really makes the old beard pop out there doesn't it?

Now I'll never be able to read a post by Mountain Don without thinking of an Irish X-men.  ;)

peg_688

Ah now it shows on your first post , Huum did you adjust where it sat between the image tags?? All I could see earlier was the red X and one IMG tag!

Who you callin old John ;D

Where's that ole black kettle ???

[highlight]NOTE TO PEG:[/highlight]
One of the perks of being a big time administrator of this forum is I get to edit any post! :o. (Look down in the lower right corner.) I cleaned up the IMG tags on Don's post and then it worked fine. And.... my old beard would be just about as white as Don's, but I keep it whacked back to a mere stubble on the upper lip.

Sassy

Way to go, MountainDon  ;D ! Actually, what I meant was for Peter to post more "garden" pics (sometimes I don't proof read what I write very well  :D) - but what a great idea!  ;D

MountainDon

QuoteAh now it shows on your first post .....
Didn't change anything. Probably photobucket  glitched for a moment.  :-/

benevolance

Great idea guys....Keep the pics coming.

MountainDon

Quotewhat I meant was for Peter to post more "garden" pics  but what a great idea!  ;D
Sassy, I'd post garden pictures but I don't have a garden, other than my dual purpose prickly pears. I do have a dwarf McIntosh apple tree as well tho'. Never considered it a garden.  :-/  

Once we get into July the relentless sun just seems to beat the crap out of anything. I'm located in what's referred to as "high desert". Nothing taller than a cholla grows here naturally. The natural vegetation covers only about 20 - 25% of the land area. On the other hand a handful of miles away, and 500 feet lower, along the banks of the Rio Grande there are wonderful vegetable farms. They have the advantage of having the availability of ample irrigation water from the river, plus the fertility of the land. Where I am it's mostly sand.

Pretty much all along the Rio Grande there are "acequias ". (A-see-key-ahs) These are ditches with gates to regulate flow. Water from the river flows into these ditches. The water is diverted here and there through natural gravity flow. Anyone with access to an acequia will be allocated a certain amount of water per acreage (they pay taxes to support it). The acequias date back 100's of years to the original Spanish settlers. Anyhow they have lots of low(er) cost water and can and do grow a variety of crops. They are sold at a number of Farmer's Markets. We avail ourselves of them rather than go thru the trouble of trying to irrigate a garden via drip with metered city water. Just makes more "cents".

I do like to see what others grow though.

glenn-k

Quite the handsome fellow, Don.  There are pix of me in the Bobcat and a few other places - I'll have to do a bit better one before I post a good one.  Note that the guy in the pix with my wife in the gallery and by the cat oven  is a family friend - not me.  He was just so much better looking than me I just let people think it was me for a while.  ::)

Coming soon to this thread - a bit better pix of me --- bear in mind that I only have so much to work with - and you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear. :-/

MountainDon

But ya can paint over the defects; sorta like painting finger jointed trim vs. stain grade.

glenn-k

Does that come in semi-gloss, Don? :-?  I don't think I could do that -- except the top -- too much hair everywhere else.

I think I've seen that color paint before --- maybe some of that handle dipping plastic stuff.  How many coats, Don? :)

MountainDon

;D I believe it is related to the handle dipping stuff. I've seen that stuff, never bought any tho'. If you've used it, does it have a slight ammonia odor? This stuff does. Not bothersome until you get up under the eyes. That smarts a little.

It varies between semi to high gloss, outa the can, depending on color. Paints on easy. Three coats minimum is best. It must be finish coated with a water based silicone compound, or if you blink, wrinkle your face, whatever, the two touching latex coated surfaces bond together like contact cement.  :o  So it ends up glossy.

As for hair, and I've yet to try this.... if the hair has vegetable oil applied first (Q-tip? whatever?) the latex won't stick well, but will skin over.  I'm going to try for a superb Pumpkin come Halloween. The preschoolers thought it was great. And they (mostly) loved the green apple juice and green cheese. I have a friend in a cheese factory nearby. I've had green ham back in my bachelor days... even I wouldn't eat it then (Children's books; Dr. Suess, Green Eggs and Ham; a classic!) I guess you had to be there.... :-/

Call me strange, call me weird, my wife did at first. Call me cautious too; that's why I painted all around the hair.   :)

glenn-k

Cool, Don.  You entertained and fed the preschoolers.  Who cut the cheese for them? :-?

MountainDon

I did!... not quite too old to cut the cheese!   [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif]

benevolance

how do you get that crap off your face when you are done don?

MountainDon

You get a grip on an edge, rub at it, get it to start rolling up, then if there's a thick enough coating (3 coats recommended) it pulls right off. Easier than falling off a log.

benevolance

man if I was a little kid that sight would freak me out....*LOL*.... Then again my mom told me that the first time she took me to see "Santa" I said hell no and ran away from the guy....

Not one for costumes and such....

glenn-k

OK - here is my contribution to this thread.  Don't give me too bad a time - I only have so much to work with. :-/

Sassy

Here goes - this was from last year when we 1st got the rocks in place for the RV garage...

MountainDon

Glenn, you look like a number of the guys I call friends around here.

What's the ruins behind you? Looks late 1800's early 19's

MountainDon

Sassy; a happy looking lady. Probably because you didn/t really have to place that top boulder all by yourself.  :o

glenn-k

I posted the ruins info on the Historic Buildings thread -General Forum- Mary Harrison Mine 1903 final operation- .  It was posted keep out but the fence was wired open semi-permanently for access so with all the confusion and what looked like an invitation to look if I took responsibility, we slipped in and snapped a few photos.

The boulder by Sassy I estimate at 8000 to 10000 lbs.  8000 lb forklift standing on it's front wheels to place it.

jraabe

Nice looking folks all.... who would've guessed?