My 15.75 x 30 Jemez Cabin

Started by MountainDon, December 20, 2006, 02:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitlock

Looks like you were having a good time  [cool]
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

MountainDon

Yes, Whitlock we did!  :)  So much that we're heading back up tomorrow sometime. If all goes as planned we shall return Monday.

I picked up a countertop and some 1x6 T&G tonight for the interior west wall; that will give me a little something to do. There are a number of little things to look after as well. Plus we're taking up some more food, water (jugs partly filled to allow for freezing), gasoline (for the generator), lamp oil, clothing, batteries for the radio, flashlight, etc.  "just in case".

Well, "just in case", but also so when we snowmobile in we won't have to carry as much with us. It's only 2 1/4 miles by snowshoe to the nearest all weather road and year round neighbors.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Whitlock

Right now I'm stuck on ammo. The gun stores were selling stuff like crazy They told Glenn and I that gun and ammo sells were though the roof.When I feel like I have enough ammo I will be back to stocking up on food.

Hasn't snowed here yet and I hope it dosen't. I allways forget were I put stuff after the snow covers it heh
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

MountainDon

Yep. I've noticed the same thing here with ammo. I already have what seems like a lot... but I check Wal-Mart every time I'm there. I got another brick of Remington 22LR, twenty 12 ga. slugs and thirty 12 ga. 00 buckshot last week. 

And speaking of buckshot, we saw another nice 4 point deer on the road up to the cabin.  :)  Lots of rabbit tracks around the property as well.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

diyfrank

Don,
Nice looking place you got there.

Thanks for sharing your progress
and ideas.
Home is where you make it

MountainDon

We hope you enjoy the story as much as we are enjoying the experience and the exchange of ideas and information here.

MountainDon

I installed the counter top (I laid it on top of the base cabinets...  ;D The bases and counter top are not yet screwed in place... that will come when spring comes and we install all the other water related things; pump, heater, etc.). I cut the hole for the sink and installed it. There is no incoming water connection yet, as the supply system will not be operable until spring/summer when the cistern tank is installed. I did hook up a temporary waste water system though.

The water goes into the bucket. At appropriate intervals the bucket gets carried to the door and is emptied outside. Not quite to code.  ::)

Yes, that is a bar sink. We couldn't see a standard size sink when we are in an uber water conservation mode.

The table with the Coleman one burner is where the propane range will be situated.

I had some T&G 1x6 and got a start on the west wall.

The dressers from K's Mom (deceased) act as a divider/buffer between the living area and the bedroom area. Most of the lamps, round table and chair set, end tables, sofa bed are all from her Mom's place. The tables and chairs are about 50 years old, the dressers about the same. One lamp, the stainless steel one is one of our wedding gifts. (31 years ago)

There's no actual bed yet. That will come after we get the floor tiled in spring/summer. For now it's the old mattress on the floor trick.

The ducks on the wall are hand carved from OR or WA cedar; about 50 years old IIRC.

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

wildbil

Don,

Are you planning to live there permanently or is it just a get away? And another question, are you going to put the bathroom inside? Its looking really nice.

congrats on your beautiful home,

Wildbil
"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine."
-Thomas Jefferson

apaknad

it looks great don. it's funny how when i look at what others have done here i find ideas and strategies that i want to use when i build. when i get done and people look at the pix i think everyone will say"hey, that's a part of my house in there".
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

MountainDon

Quote from: wildbil on December 02, 2008, 04:15:58 AM
....is it just a get away? ....are you going to put the bathroom inside?
Wildbil, it's a permanent getaway.  ;)   Spring through Fall, when we can drive up many/most weekends will be spent there plus all of June through mid-August except for journeys back to the city for whatever. Winter starts when it becomes necessary to snowmobile in. I'm not certain how frequent our visits will be then.

Quote from: wildbil on December 02, 2008, 04:15:58 AM
....are you going to put the bathroom inside?
The Sun-Mar will be moved inside come Spring/Summer; when the tile floor and bathroom walls are completed.

ScottA

Don what's that round thing in the wall by the wood stove?

alcowboy

Don please let me make a guess. If I am wrong please correct me.

Based on some of the other decor in the home I would guess it is a dream catcher.

Probably not even close on this guess.

MountainDon

Good guess alcowboy. But wrong.  rofl  We do have a Dreamcatcher made by a Hopi Indian, not an Ojibway who started the tradition. But it is native american made, not something imported. It's in the suburban home along with our Hopi Kachina doll.

That is a piece of leaded glass artwork in an oak frame. It was one of Karen's Mom's prized belongings. I have a double paned insulated glass square that will be inserted into that space in spring. I have to build the frame first. Then, during the day at least, the design will be easier to see.

considerations

Don, is there a kitchen stove planned for the place?

glenn kangiser

Hmm, considerations, I thought he was going to have all of his food catered... hmm

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

alcowboy

Quote from: MountainDon on December 06, 2008, 03:49:19 PM
Good guess alcowboy. But wrong.  rofl  We do have a Dreamcatcher made by a Hopi Indian, not an Ojibway who started the tradition. But it is native american made, not something imported. It's in the suburban home along with our Hopi Kachina doll.

That is a piece of leaded glass artwork in an oak frame. It was one of Karen's Mom's prized belongings. I have a double paned insulated glass square that will be inserted into that space in spring. I have to build the frame first. Then, during the day at least, the design will be easier to see.

Oh well, can't win em all  ;)

Sassy

MtnDon,  lookin' pretty homey!  You guys have gotten a lot of work done  8)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

NM_Shooter

Hey Don.... tell me about the cabinet finish.  Are those bare wood oak cabinets that you finished yourself?  I like the color.

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

Quote from: considerations on December 07, 2008, 11:04:00 AM
Don, is there a kitchen stove planned for the place?
Glenn's got it; there's a few places in Los Alamos that deliver.   [rofl2] 

Actually, yes there will be a range. A 20" propane range will be placed to the left of the counter, where the table that holds the one burner Coleman is.

The next space (left of the range) will be the refrigerator. We have the range, it's been sitting in our garage for about a year now. I don't want to take it up until the floor is tiled, saves moving it around. I do wish it was there already though, we juggle things between the one burner and the microwave.

Microwave... speaking of... The pure sine wave inverter in the RV crapped out.  >:(  [The RV inverter supplied power to the cabin via an extension cord and Rube Goldberg service entrance adaptation. The generator supplies recharge power to the batteries in the RV. Everything was great until this happened.]

This happened this weekend and I discovered that our little Sanyo microwave will not operate off the square wave inverter that has been a spare.  :(  The lights, TV, converter box, radio, computer and toaster all work fine, though one of the CFL's buzzes lightly. So I have to play with switching the power to the cabin from the RV to the generator and back again. Back and forth gets to be a drag; wish I'd finished up the solar installation already. But it beats running the generator for all power to the cabin. Ah well, come spring... So the moral here is, if you're thinking off grid don't try to go cheap with a square wave (called modified sine wave, but that's a marketing lie, it is square.

Why, you ask, do I not buy & install the Outback inverter I will be getting? Because it's a 24 VDC model and the RV is 12 VDC. So it has to wait.

...probably more info than anyone needed...

glenn kangiser

Set up the 24v inverter and a 12v charger off of the 120vac?  Probably too much trouble, but an idea.

MountainDon

Quote from: NM_Shooter on December 07, 2008, 09:41:06 PM
.... tell me about the cabinet finish.  Are those bare wood oak cabinets that you finished yourself?  I like the color.

Those are unfinished red oak cabinets from Lowe's. We got a base and an upper from craigslist and the other base and two uppers from Lowe's with a 10% off coupon.  They are stained with a water based Minwax stain. The color is called Green Tea; it's a store mixed product. We used a pre stain conditioner as well. The doors are in the garage here. We stained them Saturday and I'll clear coat them tomorrow. Hopefully we'll be able to drive up and install them next weekend, weather permitting.

MountainDon

Quote from: glenn kangiser on December 08, 2008, 06:51:27 PM
Set up the 24v inverter and a 12v charger off of the 120vac?  Probably too much trouble, but an idea.

Rube's been working overtime as it is.  ;D ;D  I think I'll pass. 

MountainDon

We only went up to the cabin Sunday AM and spent the one night. Mostly we did little things that aren't worth photographing or writing about. We did haul up a bunch of assorted dry food stuffs. We've also got a load of water in 1, 2 and 5 gallon jugs, all partially filled with enough slack space to allow for freezing, in preparation for when it snows enough and we have to rely on the snow machine.

I split more firewood, we cleaned up a few places on the grounds and got another little burn pile ready, waiting for enough snow to suppress the fire danger.

I installed the coat racks by the door at last. It's just 2 three foot redwood 1x6's with clear coat finish and brushed chrome hooks.

There it is in all it's simple glory. Pictured with three some cold weather clothing as well as three of the other mountain backcountry essentials.

Rather than do a series of short T&G horizontal pieces I opted for a single 1x6 placed vertically. Easy way out.  :D

MountainDon

Quote from: Sassy on December 07, 2008, 12:34:48 PM
MtnDon,  lookin' pretty homey!  You guys have gotten a lot of work done  8)

Thanks Kathy. We have and I love it. Karen is overjoyed and that makes me very happy.  :)

I'm at the point where I just love to go up there and simply enjoy enjoy being there; don't shave every any day, pee in the trees  :o, spit if I feel like it, fart when I feel like it, scratch  ::), and so on. But I also want to get things done; next on the list is the interior window and door framing.