Multi Colour Slate

Started by higgycarl, December 18, 2020, 07:27:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

higgycarl

I'm planning to renovate my house so was planning to start first from the roof. We bought the house around 12 years back. At that time, we just did what was needed to shift into the house quickly. As the years passed, everything started looking dull and dirty.
We searched for new designs and styles. However, we thought of adding a new element to give a totally fresh look to our exterior. We thought of slate wall cladding on a single wall and also a multicolor slate for the roof. I've no clue as to how the overall picture will be.I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Don_P

I suspect this is going to be a spam post but assuming otherwise. A slate roof is probably going to be heavier than the structure was designed for so be ready to reinforce or rebuild the roof and possibly elements or the entire supporting structure under it. Depending on the application details the wall will need to be rigid, stripped to the frame, sheathed and built up for masonry veneer, the detailing of penetrations like windows and doors is critical to handle moisture for the long term. This is not a minor remodel. Also be careful with where you are getting the "slate" from. I've had homeowners purchase beautiful multi colored slate that was really closer to being shale. Soft, poorly metamorphosed and really not a long term building product. Clay becomes shale which through geologic pressure and heat becomes slate. From what I've personally seen, which is I'm sure limited, the processes that produce hard slate dull the colors. If I see vibrantly colored "slate" I start banging on it and see how it sounds and breaks.