My 15.75 x 30 Jemez Cabin

Started by MountainDon, December 20, 2006, 02:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Note that I did NOT exceed the proper number of conductors for the different wire nuts.   :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

If he leaves it like that, it looks just like mine.  d*

Dang Don.  Is that why I had different colored nuts? hmm [crz]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Quote from: glenn kangiser on September 15, 2008, 10:33:28 PM
If he leaves it like that, it looks just like mine.  d*

I especially like the third switch on the right that is secured outside the box. 
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

Saturday morning the roofers showed up about 10:20, right on schedule if you are used to tradesmen and odd-jobbers here in NM.  ::) Here we have panels all lined up ready to be boosted to the roof top...

I installed the bathroom window while awaiting their arrival. The picture was taken after the roof was done.

The roof completed and the chimney installed and at work.!!  :)

glenn kangiser

Crimoney -- I think I have at least one box secured by the wire. [crz]

You made that roof job look too easy, Don.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

A closer view of the installed chimney...

Here's the installed chimney from the inside and attached to the stove. The telescoping chimney pipe has got to be one of the best things I've ever spent money on.  :D The hardibacker cement board is just temporarily laid out so I could get a fire going for some heat, and to break in the cast iron.

The first fire!!!

Relaxed and enjoying the fire...  :)

MountainDon

Quote from: glenn kangiser on September 15, 2008, 11:11:31 PM

You made that roof job look too easy, Don.

It was easy.I didn't even break a sweat.   ;D

MountainDon

I installed some of the wall insulation.

I had this much done when I realized it was upside down.  :o   d*
I tore it out and put it back the right way.   [crz]

... just funning ya'll.    ;D ;D

glenn kangiser

Looks great, Don.  How did Drew get there? hmm

MountainDon

... in spirit. I thought of him as I made the photo. That's illuminated by a Coleman lantern and the light from the fire. Using the new camera.  :)  Shutter speed was fairly slow.

MountainDon

1 sec shutter
f/3.3
ISO 400
standard auto exposure mode
flash forced off

glenn kangiser

That's great - I need to get into the deeper stuff but auto is so easy.

...and you can't just leave the members in the forum can you-- got to take them with you. rofl

MountainDon

The local elk have been having a time with some of the young firs. The ground was torn up in a few places too; like what you'd expect if two males were trying to prove who was superior. Another opportunity for a game camera lost.

This one got ripped right out of the ground! FYI, they use these saplings to help remove the velvet from their antlers every fall.

More often than not the sapling is left with its bark removed, like this one. Not good if you're a tree. Branches broken/stripped off litter the ground.

Someone's been sleeping in my backyard...

considerations

A big elk roast barded with garlic cloves and bacon is so delicious with roasted potatoes carrots and onions....a little pepper, some salt and a long slow time in a dutch oven, a little gravy from the pot.....mmmmmm!

MountainDon

... you are making me soooo hungry....  :)

apaknad

MDon,

that looks really nice. good job. i would like to know your flashing set up for the chimney through the metal roof if you get a chance.
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

PEG688

Lookin good Mtn D. Do you hunt? Elk is good , Considerations receipt sounds wonderful.

Nice photo's.  ;)   
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

MountainDon

The brand name I used is Dektite. I got it from my metal roofing materials supplier, Metal Mart. The base of the flashing has a ring of dead soft aluminum in it. The cone is molded over that into a conical shape. They have many sizes to use with pipes from 1/4" to 24" IIRC. They make most from EPDM (gray) and have some in silicone (red) for higher temp needs. The base ring can be shaped over bumps, into valleys, etc. You also place a good bead of silicone caulk under the ring before screwing it down.

website for more info/sizes     http://www.itwbuildex.com/dektite.htm

MountainDon

Re the Dektite units: The big one for the chimney (6" flue, 8" OD) was about $50, the smaller one for a 4 inch vent was about $30.

glenn kangiser

Does the Dektite unit leave one puddle of water in the center to evaporate above the chimney or is it wide enough to eliminate that?  I guess it goes under the hump on the top side?

MountainDon

The Dektite unit does violate the principle of "lead the water to the surface" in that it sits completely on top of the roof surface. You simply cut one hole. The base is very pliable and conformable to the metal roof ribs. I have talked to a person here who has had one in service for a number of years with no problems.

There is a small area where water might puddle on the high side. Extra care was taken to form the sealing edge of the boot in that area. I'll keep an eye on that. I did have them roll/fold/hammer the edge around the upper portion of the hole upwards as a sort of a deflector, just in case.

FYI, they also make a version with a square footprint.

glenn kangiser

considerations

"have not hunted in recent years."

That's ok, you never know, you may have to defend yourself from a rutting bull once all that velvet comes off. They aren't afraid of much and can be pretty aggressive when they're "in the mood".   Better in the pot than in your lap.  ;D

MountainDon

MountainDon

Another weekend and a little more progress.  :)

We also had a visitor, or visitors. Frank, NM_Shooter, and his family came up Saturday.

The adults are, L to R, Karen, Don, Frank, Arlene and their daughters Melissa and Sarah.

We shared some Rudy's BBQ, fresh veggies and fruit, baked beans, bread and buns. It was a nice visit, Frank and I walked around our property, discussed cabins and so on while Karen & Arlene talked in the gazebo and the girls entertained themselves with some of the play toys we had on hand (badminton and shooting each other with foam ball guns...)

Frank really liked my gazebo. :)  It kept the bugs at bay while we ate. This time of year we have lots of bees about. There isn't a moment during the day when the mountain quite isn't broken by the constant buzzing. The link to the gazebo starts here...  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.msg32610#msg32610 

Frank also pronounced my cabin floor to be quite stiff, sturdy or some words along those lines.   :)

I got a little work done Sunday & Monday. I completed the AC wiring, which included neatifying  ;D that birds nest of wires at the three switches. The three way controlled half outlet worked on the first test.  :)