3rd degree burns

Started by peternap, May 08, 2009, 06:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

I decided I didn't care what happened in the world today after I heard the idiots on NBC say the recession is over. Tell that to the thousand or so workers laid off in Richmond today.

So I went to the junk yard where I had spied a trailer (10 ton) with ramps ;D

I bought the ramps and set about making brackets out of 3/4" plate and cutting the 2" holes for the pivot axle.

I did most of this with a cutting torch but couldn't find my welding gloves.
After 4 hours, I finished and was fitting them in slots I cut into the trailer. My wife came home from visiting the grandkids and gasped....what did you do to your hand.

I thought she was just fussing about me being dirty and I was dirty even by my standards. :-\

But I looked down at my hands and sure enough, my right hand was a solid 3rd degree burn. I don;t have any feeling in that hand even though it works fine. I guess the reflected heat just slow roasted it.

Getting it cleaned up was a long progress but I have it cleaned and soaked down with neosporin and bandaged. I guess I have to buy a new pair of gloves tomorrow before I weld the brackets in the pockets. d*

Tomorrow...round two. c*
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

MountainDon

Yessir, can't be without those leather gauntlets if you weld much. Hope it's not too tender; I know all too well how that creeps up on you.  :(
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

considerations

If it's 3rd degree you are going to need more than neosporin. 

peternap

Quote from: considerations on May 08, 2009, 09:08:44 PM

They'll heal over eventually and leave nasty scars.

Anyone that does forge work for any period of time, gets their share of third degree burns. I even had some on my foot once (another story) :-\

I quit worrying about scars a long time ago. I'm not sure where the skin comes from but something regrows.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Homegrown Tomatoes

Yikes, Peter!  Get yourself some gloves!!!  Even if you don't have feeling in that hand, doesn't it hurt  to THINK about it??  And you can take any chance on it getting infected... I got burned with a fiberglass welding torch at close range when I was a little kid (maybe 7 or 8) and still have the scar on my foot from it... seemed like it would hurt forever, but it did finally heal.

kyounge1956

Agreed. Go see the doc. Third degree burns are nothing to mess around with.

considerations

"I'm not sure where the skin comes from but something regrows"

I guess it depends on how big the 3rd degree area is.  The skin on my right hand did regrow, but it came from my leg.   

peternap

Quote from: considerations on May 09, 2009, 07:41:11 AM
"I'm not sure where the skin comes from but something regrows"

I guess it depends on how big the 3rd degree area is.  The skin on my right hand did regrow, but it came from my leg.   

It's the outside of all five fingers and knuckles. I debried it today and got rid of all the charbroiled skin. Rewrapped it and it should heal OK. I did buy some new welding gloves since I spent most of the day doing that.

A lack of feeling is definitely a plus sometimes,

kyounge1956

Quote from: peternap on May 08, 2009, 09:59:30 PM

They'll heal over eventually and leave nasty scars.

Anyone that does forge work for any period of time, gets their share of third degree burns. I even had some on my foot once (another story) :-\

I quit worrying about scars a long time ago. I'm not sure where the skin comes from but something regrows.

Well start worrying again! There is the possibility of infection already mentioned, plus the potential for loss of function in that hand if you form a lot of scar tissue or if there has been nerve/muscle damage. What are you waiting for, MRSA? Hie thee to a doctor!

peternap

Why do you think I don't have any feeling in that hand. It was nearly blown off. Not many nerves left to damage.

I'll give one of my thousands of reasons for NOT seeing a Doctor. They wanted to amputate two fingers, my trigger finger just behind the knuckle. The only reason they didn't was because I refused and threatened to walk out.

Doctors are best avoided. It will heal. It's not like It's the first burn I've had.

Sassy

Just read this, Peter.  Get some silvadene ointment - I think you can get it over the counter - not sure, though.  I acts as an antiseptic & also keeps the wound moist so that it can heal.  Slather it on the burns, then wrap with gauze - change 2-3x's day.  And yes, you do have to soak & take the dead tissue, eschar (scabs) of on daily basis - pretty brutal - I could never work in a burn unit as a nurse... 

Oh, and get some gloves!!! 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

considerations

Depending on where and how big the burns are just the scar tissue formation can limit function.  It doesn't flex like skin and can contract and force your hand permanently into wierd positions. 

Along with the Silvadene, I had to soak my hand in an iodine solution during those 2 daily changes.  With no feeling, it shouldn't be too bad. 

I think the iodine solution was called Betadine, but it was a long time ago.

I know you're getting a lot of input from all of us, some of it kinda gloomy, we just care. 

considerations

Ok - you can't share news like this and then just disappear....how's the hand?

peternap

Really no change yet other than it's starting to scab over. If it follows other burns I've had, it will start forming scar tissue soon.
Thanks for asking!

Dog

Peter...how is your hand doing? Third degree burn is no joke. I don't blame you about the doc. They wanted to skin graft my foot when I burned it real bad (third degree) a few years ago. It got better by taking good care of it. Can you feel anything yet? Silvadene and clean gauze at least twice a day. Soak it REAL good in warm water and keep it clean. So sorry to hear that happened. If it's scabbing over already that is a great sign!
Taken any new pics lately?
The wilderness is a beautiful thing for the soul. Live free or die.

peternap

Quote from: Dog on May 13, 2009, 06:04:31 PM
Peter...how is your hand doing? Third degree burn is no joke. I don't blame you about the doc. They wanted to skin graft my foot when I burned it real bad (third degree) a few years ago. It got better by taking good care of it. Can you feel anything yet? Silvadene and clean gauze at least twice a day. Soak it REAL good in warm water and keep it clean. So sorry to hear that happened. If it's scabbing over already that is a great sign!
Taken any new pics lately?

It's doing fine. The Silvadene seems to work very well. I won't ever have feeling in most of that hand again. Old injury.

I Take pictures every day. Last night about 30 of us evil gunowners had our monthly "Open Carry Dinner". I took a few there and boy is it a rough crowd! rofl

Almost like a motorcycle gang ::) I can see why everyone is afraid

Phssthpok

peternap

Phssthpok

Actually I'm on the other side..in the SECOND most active state (by thread count), Wa.

Home of:

Small world. ;D

peternap

Quote from: Phssthpok on May 14, 2009, 09:12:37 AM
Actually I'm on the other side..in the SECOND most active state (by thread count), Wa.

Home of:

Small world. ;D

Welcome to the builders side!
PS...You'll get on a list if you hang around here [rofl2] [rofl2]

Phssthpok

peternap

Phssthpok

I don't recall mentioning my plans for 3/4" AR-400 in the walls....Sumbody's readin' mah MIND! Wheres mah hat? Ah... thar it is...