Edibles that grow in the wild

Started by AdironDoc, June 27, 2012, 04:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don_P

The first wineberries came in today, excellent sorbet material. I don't care for it as a jam, too seedy but we'll try it as a jelly. The planted blueberries are putting out gallons, we trade pound for pound for local beef. The wild ones are just coming in. The black raspberries are about done and the blackberries are in. Both individual and black & blue jams, cobblers, pies and sorbets. A little framboise in a sorbet helps keep it a bit mushy rather than a hard freeze. Between that and the garden the back porch has been canning central for the past month. The bears got all the blackheart cherries this year, I guess it's natures way of pruning them. Apples are a ways off, the old ones aren't much for eating, not bad just not choice. Squeezed and properly aged it's not bad atall and if it happens to drift over a fire by a creek so much the better. "Jacking" hard cider was a freezing process where the water froze and was removed and it gave a little more kick to colonial applejack. We had to help polish off some fresh Florida lobster over the weekend with mangoes and pineapple picked from their yard down south, a nice change of pace.

CjAl

Quote from: AdironDoc on July 06, 2012, 09:59:11 AM
Plenty of crayfish in my creek, though a bit smaller than those I've eaten while in new Orleans. I'm not sure how to eat these little guys, there doesn't seem to be much to them. Maybe I'll throw a dozen in a pot with tomatoes and garlic and see what happens  :-\ anyone got any experience with these little crays?
it takes a lot to make a meal since you just break off the tail and eat it. if you want you can suck the juice out of the head. you have to soak them live in fresh clean water for 24hr changing the water as necesarry. they filter water and are full of mud. thats why we call them mud bugs down here in cajun country. boil them in a pot with some strong spicy crawdad/shrimp boil. they are kinda strong tasting so you need the spice. we also throw in a healy amount of steak seasoning but thats our secret ingrediant, dont give it away

Pine Cone

Quote from: considerations on July 06, 2012, 09:29:05 PM
"Need to work out the details of how and where to store the crab pot and the 5-gallon bucket for crabs"

Can you tow an inner tube? We loves Dungeness crab.  Very NICE!

Might have to try an inner tube for the crab pots. 

Solved the bucket problem with a nylon-reinforced dry bag.  Folds up for storage and floats with crabs in it as long as the bag is closed with some air trapped in.  Only got one this morning, but it will make a nice lunch!

NM_Shooter

I'm going after a bunch of edibles that grow in the wild very soon.  Namely Kokanee, Brown, and Rainbow trout :-)
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

AdironDoc

Quote from: NM_Shooter on July 08, 2012, 02:25:03 PM
I'm going after a bunch of edibles that grow in the wild very soon.  Namely Kokanee, Brown, and Rainbow trout :-)

lol..good luck!