Dormer question on 20x30 1 1/2 Plans

Started by mgramann, June 08, 2012, 09:35:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgramann

I'm in the early stages of planning a build for our land in the Michigan U.P.  I have purchased the 20x30 1 1/2 plans, and will probably extend to 20x40. 

I had a question regarding dormers.  Is it possible to do dormers on both sides of the roof?  I like the look of the gable dormer, and would put that on the front of our cabin.  I like the space a shed dormer offers, and would put that on the back of the cabin.  The dormers would be directly across from each other, and I'm wondering what kind of rafter truss design I would need to accomplish this-should one exist, and if this creates a construction nightmare.

Thank you in advance for any help!

John Raabe

Generally what you do is double the roof rafters or trusses on either side of a small dormer (information and diagrams in the booklet that came with the plans). A wide shed dormer may need to have a structural ridge to span the upper load. Dormers are often matched on both sides.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

mgramann

Thank you John!  I wasn't sure if the plans limited the dormers to only be on one side.  Any idea on what would be considered "wide"-should I decide to use shed dormers?  Is that information in the plans as well?  Perhaps I overlooked that part.

mgramann

Looking around here, and at the plans, it would seem that 6ft wide dormers are pretty standard without a supported ridge beam-and should be wide enough for my purposes.