Deer Run- 16x26 in Oklahoma

Started by ScottA, October 11, 2007, 03:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willy

Quote from: ScottA on June 21, 2008, 02:57:03 PM
Mark that's great. I'm glad you found a buyer so quick. John those logs are rare and are bound to cost. Chestnut? I don't think they even make those anymore. I bet it's better quality than the original cabins where. You got a 100+ year place there for sure. If I'm lucky mine will last for 50.
After the deal closes I am going to do a different thing. Not sure yet what but it will be different style building. I just wanted to see if my idea works for making a living then step it up a knotch on the pay as you build plan. Now I can re/invest into a bigger cabin next year. I want to beat the General Contractor rullings which save a lot of money in the long run. So I still need to build fast, get it on the market, still do fires for a few months and enjoy the whole winter being off work! This is my plan I have been doing it allready for 5 years, just figured a way to boost it in the spring some doing something I also enjoy. Mark

considerations

Scott, I notice your PT lumber looks different than my PT lumber.  All of mine is dark brown and turns my hands red..Your's looks more like real wood.

Willy

Quote from: considerations on June 22, 2008, 03:32:03 PM
Scott, I notice your PT lumber looks different than my PT lumber.  All of mine is dark brown and turns my hands red..Your's looks more like real wood.
Pressure treated wood comes in different standards. Some is rated for weather resistance, ground contact, concrete contact, underground direct burial use ect. Some is treated for landscape use only and other for constuction use. Some has the treatment soaked on, other pressure appilied thru perferations. You need to read what the wood your buying is realy treated for and it's approved use. Most of the time there is a tag stapled to the wood and you can read what type of treatment and different treatments have different colors, ratings ect. Also not all treated wood is as good as some or can be used in all places, it depends on the treatment, ratings ect. Mark

ScottA

The wood I used is rated for above ground outdoor use. Mainly intended for decks. I'm going to stain all the outward faces with oil which will give it a bit more protection. The wood needs to weather for 3-4 months before it will be ready for stain since it is very wet when purchased.

ScottA

OK this pic is off topic but I thought it was cute. Taken today in my front yard. The lake is still full as you can see.

Deck is decked and it even has stairs. Nothing fancy but they work. Even made a gravel path.

West side wrap around decking. This deck will be continued to the north to connect to the future guest cottage and the pool.

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

ScottA

Thanks Glen.

Redoverfarm

Looking good Scott.  I guess you should be thankful that the water is still in the lake and not in your yard or living room.

ScottA

I'm very thankful but since my house is on a hill 5' higher than the dam a lot of land would be underwater first. I'd be building an ark.

ListerD

Scott,

It's been a while since I checked this thread and the place is simply gorgeous! Awesome job man!

Rick
"We shape our dwellings, and afterwards our dwellings shape us" -- Winston Churchill

ScottA

Thanks Rick. You guys really keep me motivated with your kind words. Looking forward to seeing your project soon Rick.

ListerD

We're redesigning now. Hope to get a rough sketch here in a few days.

"We shape our dwellings, and afterwards our dwellings shape us" -- Winston Churchill

TheWire

Scott,

What did you use for batten strips on your building felt?

ScottA

The battens are 1x2" cedar that have been treated with oil stain on all sides.

ScottA

Finnished up the flashing work on the gable ends today. Still need to put felt on the east gable tomorrow and the flet will be finished. I'm planning to start glass soon after the forth of july holiday. I picked up a couple of big jobs for july so I'm not sure how fast it'll get done. The south door has been changed from a slider to a double french door with 15 lights per door. The veranda door will still be a slider.

glenn kangiser

I hate it when making a living gets in the way of progress  like today for instance-- I had to work today - away from the area anyway - Fresno -- almost couldn't drive back home fast enough. d*

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

ScottA

Got a call tonight. The house I was suposed to start monday has been delayed do to the permit being denied. Seems the house is too big for the addition. I never heard that one before. LOL

Redoverfarm

Sounds like more time for Deer Run unless you can shift the jobs.  Ever find a round Window?

ScottA

I have not had time to look really. I know where i can order one but I'll search the surplus market first. That window is under the veranda so it's not critical atm. The only place water ever got in is through the south doorway but I put a sheet of osb over that.

Alasdair

You're making a lovely job of it. I love watching peoples projects develop.  [cool]
good luck with the rest

Al

ScottA

I haven't had a chance to go to Tulsa to pick up windows yet but I did get the ships ladder installed. Hand rails will go on when I do trim work later on.

glenn kangiser

I really like that view out the round window there, Scott.   The backhoe will look lovely.

ScottA

Well due to the heat a visit from the inlaws and the normal distractions I managed to get completly off schedule again. But here's some new pics.

Shot of scissors from the sleeping loft.

Looking out onto the veranda.

Closet framing and some framing in the loft.

Still a good bit of framing left to do inside. I'll get to it in time. I'm working in Tulsa next week so the plan is to start bringing windows home each day after work.

apaknad

i'm jealous scott, i'm jealous!!

looks very nice. keep posting pics
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

considerations

Wow, look at all those tidy angle cuts!  Sweet!