Building plans: Which one would work for my needs?

Started by CaliGrlinWV, April 09, 2012, 07:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaliGrlinWV

Hello. I am in need of a 10 x 20 (or 12 x 18) open concept building plan. I need 9 - 10 feet in height. I will be using it as an art studio on my property. That's why I need the height.  I want a flat roof. And I don't need a loft. Which building plan would work? I am a total novice. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Marisol

MountainDon

Have a look at the Little House plans.

Flat roof?  Snow area? Maybe not so good unless built really stout.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

CaliGrlinWV

Thank you so much for your prompt response.  I do live in an area that snows a lot in the winter. So I should build it with a slope?  Do the "Little House" plans include the 10 foot walls with sloping roof? Or would I need to tweak those plans? Thanks again.

Marisol

John Raabe

The Little House plans do not have the 10' walls with the let-in ledger for the loft floor. That is in the 20' wide 1-1/2 story.

The Little House has a "crawl-in" type loft where the rafters connect to the loft floor joists to form a triangle. These can certainly sit on top of 9' or 10' tall walls.

For snow areas the steep roof is better able to shed snow. If you are doing a low slope roof you will need to check the rafters as they may need to be deeper depending on the design load for the roof. The advantage is that deeper rafters allow for more insulation.

None of us are as smart as all of us.

John Raabe

Rereading your initial post, you might consider doing the Little House layout - perhaps with 2x6 walls for better insulation - with either 9' or 10' high walls topped by either a gable truss (with flat ceilings) or low-slope rafters for a shed roof. Depending on the pitch of the shed you may have room for an extra stack of high windows on the tall wall. This may be appreciated in a light filled studio.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

CaliGrlinWV

@John thanks so much for your feedback. The "Little House" looks like it may be perfect. Because I am a total novice, I have no idea what a "gable truss" or  "rafters" are. Is there a book I can read that would explain building terminology? Maybe I need to go find a "Building/Construction for Dummies" book, lol. Looks like I may have to do a little more research and studying, before undertaking such a build. Thanks again.

Marisol

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

CaliGrlinWV

@MountainDon Thank you so much. I will definitely be getting that book.

Marisol

CaliGrlinWV

Just ordered the House Framing book. Can't wait to start learning. :)

astidham

everyone should not forget about the public library.
I have checked out multiple cabin books, the house framing book, and several plumbing and others.
For FREE!
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford