14 x 24 gable with 10 x 24 shed attached

Started by mpls_ham, February 02, 2010, 08:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpls_ham

My wife and I are considering building the standard 14x24 with 10' studs and a loft and including a 10x24 shed roof on the side for a bedroom and bathroom.  I have not seen this done on the projects page.  Has anyone built this?  Any comments on the idea?
Northern Black Hills - South Dakota

MountainDon

There have been 12x24's built with 10 ft studs to provide more headroom in the loft. I don't recall any with a shed add-on room though. However, that should be very workable. I'm sure others here will have some input.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

mpls_ham

Thanks Don,
One of the questions I have is: would it be easier to build the 20x30 rather than tweak the smaller house plans?  I like the barn look that this one has.
Northern Black Hills - South Dakota

Txcowrancher

I went kind of nuts with the shed roof idea because they are so much easier to work on yourself. after building a small 12x16 with a 8/12 pitch there was no way the wife and I were going to go 12/12 on a larger cabin. the large shed roofs are really great for the rainwater system as well. we did all the roof work, actually the whole house with no professional help at all.  as of now the house is 36x24 down stairs and 16x24 upstairs. with the potential of adding another shed roof extension on one side. here a a couple pics.

good luck to you in your design

Tom & Renee

John Raabe

I would consider building the core house so that the kitchen and great room area is to the scale and size you want when the project is fully built out. If you have a core that can accommodate say 4 to 6 people, you can then go ahead and add additions to provide those folks more private space or to build a special use room such as an office or workroom.

The 14x24 works well for a retreat cabin for one or two people but the core is tight for more.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

John Raabe

Nice shed project txcowrancher!  :D :D

That gives you a nice large core on the main floor while being simple to build.
None of us are as smart as all of us.