New rifle

Started by peternap, November 05, 2012, 11:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

I ran across a never fired, used. Remington 700 tactical in 223 yesterday.
I couldn't resist for a couple of reasons.

I don't care for AR style guns. I'm too old to be playing Rambo but if there is ever another stab at gun restriction, I think it will start with Ammo.

I can always buy black market 5.56. (Yes, its pretty easy to buy from Military people).

It's a fairly accurate round especially handloaded.

It's low recoil and this heavy barrel gun makes it more so.

I have a Contender barrel in 223 so I'll have some interchangeability.

I ordered a Redfield 6-18 44mm Varmint scope which IMO is one of the better deals in economy, high power scopes. Since my eyesight goes to he!! when my sugar goes up or down, it will at least let me have a better chance at a good hit.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

NM_Shooter

Excellent addition!  Congrats. 

What trigger does it have?
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

peternap

Quote from: NM_Shooter on November 05, 2012, 11:25:00 PM
Excellent addition!  Congrats. 

What trigger does it have?

The X Mark Pro.
I haven't adjusted it yet and it's a tad heavier than I like (Just under 4 pounds) but breaks like glass.

I think it will be good once I lighten it some.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

peternap

After doing a little reading on the trigger NM, if it doesn't adjust the way I like I'll probably install a Rifle Basix. I have one  of the target grade ones on my Weatherby 270 and love it.

Windpower

I wish I had chosen the WBY 270 instead of the 300 WBY --- but the 300 was what Remington offered (in 1993 IIRC) in their classic --

That said the WBY rounds are excellent albeit very expensive ammo

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

peternap

Quote from: Windpower on November 07, 2012, 11:03:19 AM
I wish I had chosen the WBY 270 instead of the 300 WBY --- but the 300 was what Remington offered (in 1993 IIRC) in their classic --

That said the WBY rounds are excellent albeit very expensive ammo

If I didn't handload I couldn't shoot half the guns I have. I have no idea what that 460 Rowland I carry every day costs for factory ammo if they even make it...but I don't want to find out.

Windpower

I used to handload for the 300 but couldn't duplicate the factory accuracy or velocity ---

I came close with the 180 Noslers at 3150 fps with good 1" 100 yrd groups about 100 fps slower than factory

the 150 gr at 3500 fps kills deer like a thunder bolt

In any case shooting the 300 alot generated a fair amount of shoulder pain  -- so I just buy a couple boxes a year now

460 Rowland .. had to look that one up

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.