Yet another loft floor joist question.

Started by GW, October 25, 2007, 04:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GW

As I mentioned before, I'm thinking about building the 20x30 1 story,2x6 walls,but with a loft bedroom with dormers. For the loft floor joists the span will be 20'. I was thinking of using 2x12s on 16" centers, resting them on the double top plate and nailing them to the rafters.Because of the birdsmouth I would need to cut the corners off to account for the roof slope, would this weaken them too much? Another option I have been considering is having a beam running across the span and having smaller floor joists running perpendicular. Any thoughts on this? I'm a novice builder so I'll be asking alot more questions between now and next summer.

peter_nap

I'd toenail them just for extra peace of mind. Make sure you put blocking in between and I think you'll be fine,

glenn-k

If I understand right , you are talking about clipping the corner off of the floor joist where it would stick out through the roof, above the rafter.

The portion above a 45 degree angle line from the outside edge, above the area of bearing is pretty much waste and performs nearly no function  structurally.  Hope that makes sense.  In other words - yes - clip it off - it won't hurt anything. :)

GW

Thats was I was hoping to hear, thanks Glen.

peter_nap

Sorry, I thought the clipping was a given. I was talking about nailing it to the rafter.