Glenn's Underground Cabin Update

Started by glenn kangiser, January 30, 2005, 10:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

No help needed. d*

hmm Hmm, this thread is cramping me up. [crz]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Quote from: glenn kangiser on August 17, 2008, 03:43:03 PM

We did do lunch and a bit of the Tahoe area together.  PEG probably did get a bit nervous when I let go of the steering wheel to take pictures as I was driving, but I was still hanging onto the steering wheel with my knees.

Nah it was resultant swerving toward the guard rail and 400 foot drop that would have happened had you not corrected in time :o  Other than that, she was cherry ;)   rofl
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Sassy

You should have been riding shotgun in the Cessna when he'd open the window, fly in tight circles hanging out the window taking aerial pictures!   :o :o  I guess that's about as close as I want to get to any type of acrobatic flying...  ::)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

PEG688

Quote from: Sassy on August 17, 2008, 04:42:56 PM

You should have been riding shotgun in the Cessna when he'd open the window, fly in tight circles hanging out the window taking aerial pictures!   :o :o  I guess that's about as close as I want to get to any type of acrobatic flying...  ::)

I'm sure that was a adventure but the guard rail and the ground where a little further away than the guard rail above Lk Tahoe

glenn kangiser

You guys crack me up.  d*

PEG...crimoney -- you were on an aircraft carrier with jets landing at your feet and I made you nervous driving with my knees?

Sassy --- you were in the hands of the Lord with all that praying you were doing as I was flying.  What's wrong with this picture? hmm  Oh ye of little faith.  [rofl2]

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Quote from: glenn kangiser on August 17, 2008, 06:11:11 PM

#1: You guys crack me up.  d*

#2: PEG...crimoney -- you were on an aircraft carrier with jets landing at your feet and I made you nervous driving with my knees?

#3: Sassy --- you were in the hands of the Lord with all that praying you were doing as I was flying.  What's wrong with this picture? hmm  Oh ye of little faith.  [rofl2]

#1: Good that my job here, well that and good advise. :)

#2: Ya weird huh! I never have liked riding in car with anyone BUT my sister Barbara , and she taught me how to drive mainly so that may be why. [noidea'

#3: Ah you may be mixing WHO her true faith is in Glenn. Wing and a prayer air lines or the Redeemer, different kinds of faith eh ::)

glenn kangiser

Well -- she was still OK -- it was nearly 10,000 feet to the ground - unless I got blown 2000 feet into the side of the mountain. d*  I had lots of room for correction. [crz]

steveastrouk

Quote from: MountainDon on August 17, 2008, 02:45:06 PM
Hey Steve.  w*

Where in New Mexico is the property? There are a couple of us transplanted resident New Mexicans here.  :)

DEEP south western NM - in the boot heel ? Not far from Portal AZ. - Rodeo NM.

You're going to ask why next aren't you ?

Steve

MountainDon

:o  Yes, much more south and you'd be in Mexico. We have property in the Jemez and NM_Shooter is so far north in NM he has to drive into CO to get to his place.  ;D

I'm trying to restrain myself on the "why?" question.............   [slap]

[noidea'

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Better bring it on, Steve.  The suspense may kill us if you don't. d*

Bishopknight

Glenn,

I love what you're doing!

I personally feel a whole new forum section should be devoted to alternative house building discussion ( strawbale, cordwood, underground, cob, ect ) done by owner-builders :)

glenn kangiser

Thanks BK.

We're a bit of a minority but welcome postings from others doing similar.

glenn kangiser

A miner friend just left, and he had brought his native American friend (81 or 84 YO - and sharp as a tack) from Sonora who brought a whole trailer load of 32 -4'4" x 8'6" appx size insulated panels from solar water heaters.  They seem to have pretty good structural strength - covered with plastic and fiberglass, so will likely become the roof of the tunnel from the shop through the mountainside - or maybe even something else.  He had removed the copper from them.

I offered to pay for some gas but he said - no - he was just glad to find someone who had a good use for them.

steveastrouk

Quote from: glenn kangiser on August 18, 2008, 06:57:00 PM
Better bring it on, Steve.  The suspense may kill us if you don't. d*

Its very, very dark - pretty well the darkest place in the world anywhere near anything civilised- and one of my major interests is astronomy. Its so dark, you can read a newspaper by the light of the Milky Way !

Using an Earth sheltered house will KEEP it good and dark, if we're careful.

Steve

ScottA

When we lived in the city I got to where I missed the darkness.

glenn kangiser

During the fire, Andrea of the Yuma firefighters mentioned how it was dark here at night and how there were so many stars.

Suzy - our watch dog felt it necessary to stand by and make sure the wild animals didn't drag her off into the night. d*

steveastrouk

Quote from: ScottA on August 21, 2008, 07:55:52 AM
When we lived in the city I got to where I missed the darkness.

It just AIN't dark in the UK anymore, unless you try really hard. And nothing comes close to this site in NM.

Much as we would love to emigrate, it isn't possible with our business and family at the moment, so the NM project will be a holiday home until we retire in the distant future. We are allowed a three month total stay in any 12 months on our visas.

Steve

MountainDon

There are a few other spaces in the American West where one can experience true natural darkness. The area between Blanding and Lake Powell in SE Utah is one. I believe one can truly class it as being in the middle of nowhere.

The next question Steve is "how in the world did you decide the boot heel was the darkest place"? It's also dang hot. But then so is much of the SW in summer.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

I don't know but when the sun goes down here it is dark.  No illumination by major cities to light up the sky.  My wife had a friend visit from Chicago a few years back.  She said it was totally dark at our house and she couldn't sleep.  I have lived close to other major cities ( Baltimore & District of Columbia) some 45-50 miles away and at night it really never got dark at the house. Maybe the mountains block more than I give it credit for.  The nearby National Radio Observatory picked this place for a reason.  Although I don't think light really affects their reception but the absence of the airplanes in the radio free zone makes it peaceful.

glenn kangiser

During fires - with choppers and planes and the airport about a mile by air - in the fire season this place is as close to a war zone as you could ever find, but I like it and we bought the place to be near the airport for that reason.  At night though - North side of the ridge really gets dark on a moonless night --- except now Sassy's solar leds and solar yard light really light things up pretty well.

considerations

Interesting.  I don't sleep well in towns and cities, they never shut up.

steveastrouk

Quote from: MountainDon on August 21, 2008, 12:25:05 PM
The next question Steve is "how in the world did you decide the boot heel was the darkest place"? It's also dang hot. But then so is much of the SW in summer.

There is another development, "Arizona Sky Village" in Portal Az about 9 miles from our bit, which is well known in the astronomy community. This is a new settlement on the same idea.

The climate is NOT, to our surprise as hot as the SW is notorious for, we have a bit of elevation (2000 ft) which helps I suppose. We're expecting mid 90's in June - but it ain't dark in June, so we won't be there...

Steve

glenn kangiser

Quote from: considerations on August 22, 2008, 01:41:37 AM
Interesting.  I don't sleep well in towns and cities, they never shut up.

When the fires are not going - which is most of the time, it is very quiet around here.  Easy to hear voices on the mountain top 1/2 mile away or cars in the valley below - not many though.  Quiet for the most part.  No constant city hum or drone.

glenn kangiser

People keep asking me about my power supply --- OK - granted - not totally code but it hasn't caught fire yet.

It works. d*

Most of my batteries.  Can you find the 2 desulfators? hmm

My double Ford relay (24v coil that way wired in series) pump controller box. [crz]

Don't everyone yell out, "That's beautiful, Glenn," at once.  You'll make me go deaf. d*

Redoverfarm