Windows for small cabin

Started by ak_meli, October 06, 2008, 12:32:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ak_meli

Well, looks like next summer I am starting on my cabin... The first is either going to be 12x16 or 8x12 (depending on budget, I have to recalculate everything because of increased cost). I don't know much about windows. Living in Alaska, more panes is better, and buying the best R value is recommended. Well, budget wise, I am not sure I can spend $150+ a window.

So if I build the 8x12, in a couple of years I will convert it to my sauna house, and build bigger (16x16 or so). Looking around for deals on windows, I found a craigslist add with double pane for $10 for smaller window, and $20 for larger:
http://images.craigslist.org/1451381gcZZZZZZZZZ89u0e5e1595f7bd1156.jpg

Well I figured for the first cabin, might not be bad. I could always upgrade later, and it will eventually become the sauna room. The sauna I am modeling mine off of (well in a few years at least), the guy built his own windows. They were single pane, but it was a sauna so always hot when you were in there...

Anyway, what does everyone think? And is there a good place on the net or on this site that talks about good windows for cold areas?

Thanks!
Meli

glenn kangiser

Have you tried looking for seconds at Hme Depot - returns etc.  Not as much building going on now so may not be too good an idea.  Also check glass shops for take outs.  Sometimes you cn get dual pane windows that leak but you could repair them I think or take them apart and make your own dual pane windows.  Not as good as factory but cheap.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

lonelytree

Meli,
    I am also building in AK. Are you talking about a full year residence or a weekend getaway?

You can:

Use anything for the windows. Cheap - single pane - old bottles etc.... Most heaters and wood stoves will still heat it.

Use used windows. Find some that are being changed out. Many will require a bit of work if not alot of paint removal.

Find double pane windows on craigslist, overstock, contractor leftovers, etc..... I bought 2 nice windows for $50. Don't be afraid to lowball them if you see them listed a day or 2.

Here they are installed:

Buy new. Cheaper ones are in stock.

Personally, I have to buy at least a few new. Not too many triangle windows for in the peaks around used or overstock. I need about 10 windows. I will fax bids to Lowes, Home Depot etc when I am ready and they can fight it out. I have a buddy that got quotes on virtually everything for his cabin. I would suspect that he saved 30%.

Mike

OldDog

I would think that takeouts from a replacement job would be the most economical?

The glass from a sliding door can be cased in for a good large window. c*
If you live a totally useless day in a totally useless manner you have learned how to live

Woodswalker

I got 6 double-pane, plastic-framed, color-matched windows for my cabin at a Habitat for Humanity Restore for about 25% of retail.  Now do volunteer work at the store, and we always have a pretty good supply of windows on hand.  Encourage you to check if there is a Restore in your area.  I've used other types (wood-framed, clad wood, etc.), and much prefer the plastic.  Plastic framed are maintenance-free, and would be very good for use in a sauna.  Good luck with your build.

ak_meli

The windows for this will be full residence, but I am building the smaller shed before the cabin.

Those look like nice windows for the price Mike.

I saw these windows, they seem really old though. http://anchorage.craigslist.org/mat/858351449.html

If I could get newer windows for the price you found, I would do it. I think I just need to look more.

glenn kangiser

I'd prefer the windows on the craigslist.  Old is not that much of a problem -- I'm old and I still work....part of the time. [crz] :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

NM_Shooter

Ditto Craigslist. 

All window / door places have a boneyard of windows that were mistakes.  Ask to see their inventory list, and always lowball these guys.  They are new though, and tend to be odd sizes.

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

lonelytree

Quote from: ak_meli on October 06, 2008, 09:49:47 AM
The windows for this will be full residence, but I am building the smaller shed before the cabin.

Those look like nice windows for the price Mike.

I saw these windows, they seem really old though. http://anchorage.craigslist.org/mat/858351449.html

If I could get newer windows for the price you found, I would do it. I think I just need to look more.

I had those in my house before I changed them out with new ones. If they have not failed they are OK. After they fail, they are repairable. For a shed they would be great.

What area are you building?

Mike

ak_meli

I am building in the interior. This will be practice before my remote property...