Re-using plywood

Started by Alan Gage, March 13, 2011, 07:24:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Gage

I'm tearing down my current house to make room for the new one and am now in the process of tearing off the shingles (what a miserable job!). The plywood (1/2") sheathing on the roof looks to be in good shape and I can't help but wonder if I could reuse it on my new house, either for the roof or walls.

I suppose it's about 25 years old, that's when a previous owner added on to the house, but from what I can see so far it's sound. Would it be a mistake to try and reuse plywood this old regardless of condition? Would the numerous nail holes cause issues by possibly allowing moisture deeper into the panel?

Alan

Don_P

I use 1/2 on the walls and 5/8 on the roof but if it's in good shape and you get it off without breaking it, sure it should be fine. If an entire wall can be modded to reuse take it studs, plates and all. I helped move and rebuild a house as panels one time, we reused quite a bit.

Alan Gage

That's good to hear. Thanks!

I won't be reusing much else in the house though since at its core it's an old double wide trailer. In the mid-80's they built a gable roof over it and covered 3 of the 4 walls with T1-11 paneling so from the road it looks like an actual house. The rafters are sound though so I'll be able to salvage quite a bit of 2x4 material from them.

Alan.

MushCreek

If you have to pass inspection, some areas won't let you use used building materials except for non-structural applications such as trim and flooring.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

MountainDon

I've seen where code states materials must bear the appropriate grading stamp, or words to that effect. But I don't recall it ever being stated anywhere the materials had to be new. As long as the edges can meet the required spacing of nails and it is not overnailed I'd argue that one. I'd also have the applicable sections of the code that mentions grade stamps available. It's nice having it on your computer.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Alan Gage

Thankfully I don't believe there will be an inspection here. From what I've found out so far electrical is the only thing that's inspected. Otherwise it sounds like you can build whatever you want however you want to build it as long you're zoned properly and the lot line setbacks are correct.

I've got the shingles peeled off one side of the house and all the plywood looks good so far. I counted 21 full sheets (per side) with probably another 15 or so partials. I'll have to check my plan when I get hope later but I think that should cover my walls.

Alan