Northstar Generators from Northern Tool Co.

Started by jerseydave, November 11, 2006, 04:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn-k

Hi Tim -- what you read about the inverters is right.  I started with a modified sine wave and was not happy -- burned up speed controls -- had pump problems etc.  I went to a 4024 older model trace - found a matching one on Ebay - got the stacker cable and am making 220v to run the pump and about anything I want.

If you think you may want to run 220v for anything be sure you get inverters that are capable of stacking and also they have to be the same type and model.  A cable goes between them to time the phases properly for 220.

The small automotive inverters seem to run computers and portable tool chargers OK.

Miller welders have a 10000 watt generator built in, idle down feature and I think they have the low oil shut down too - may have to double check that on out though.  About $3500 for the 300 amp welder with a gas engine.

tc-vt

John, your words "now I have to build a generator shed" are an echo of what I have been saying for months.  

I finally started my generator/off-grid system shed for batteries, inverter, etc. a couple of weeks ago.  I have had a Honda E3500 next to my bed for a year and a half.  I finally finished putting it together, put wheels under it and gassed it up.  It worked well and topped off my batteries well, with a lot less strain than the 1350w Craftsman Generator I have been using.  With gas in its tank it wasn't coming back into the house for storage so it sits in the unfinshed shed.  

Pictures of the shed are on my yahoo page in the folder 'shed':

//photos.yahoo.com/ny2vermont

I'm still trying to decide how to heat the shed and am open to suggestions.  I'll also ask this on the thread that just started regarding temporary heaters.  No vent heaters might be ok but I don't know if I'll have too much condensation on the windows that will be installed.  I have recently read about vented catalytic heaters but am not sure if they are manufactured anymore.  I thnk they were made by a company in your neck of the woods (Washington) and were called the Platinum Cat.  I put radiant tubing in the slab so that is another option with a small water heater.  Are you going to heat your shed?  

Tom

jraabe

No, I don't think I will need to heat the shed. We have pretty mild winters. I will need good ventilation to keep condensation and rust at bay, but I'm planning a pretty simple structure. Even thought of remodeling the old dog house, but it's a little small and if I do something a bit bigger I can also get needed garden equipment storage.

glenn-k

Is this something you can do without plans-- that would be very un-Johnlike.

That would be more like Glenn - then it would probably have to be rammed earth or cob or something.

Will we be seeing a Countryplans set of plans for a utility shed?  Sorry about messing with you -- I just don't want this to be too easy for you. ;D

williet

I have had a Honda E3500 next to my bed for a year and a half.  I finally finished putting it together, put wheels under it and gassed it up.  It worked well and topped off my batteries well, with a lot less strain than the 1350w Craftsman Generator I have been using.  

Tom,
How do you like the Honda? is it pretty quiet compared to other generators and if so, is the reduction in noise worth the price?

tc-vt

Williet,

The Honda E3500 is an older generator given to me from a friend.  I'm not sure how old it is, but it hasn't been straightforward finding parts for it.  When it first ran I was impressed with it sounding quiet until I turned up the rpms enough to get it to put out 60Hz.  It is about as loud as the little generator.  I think the newer generation of generators are quieter and offer other features like low oil cutoff, automatic idling when there is no load (like the one I rented - a definite plus when you are using it to run a saw), and are usually quieter.  In the classifieds I see used generators this size selling for $250-350.  I put about $150 into mine to get it running.  Home Depot near me had a marked down 6500 watt Coleman unit for $750.

If I were going to rely heavily on a generator to charge my batteries or provide needed power, I would make the extra investment on a good quality unit.  A propane engine would be nice but I think that is usually on bigger generators.  

Tom

glenn-k

A friend of mine repairs small engines and he told me the Colemans were not too great.  I have a broken Coleman - haven't bothered trying to repair it very seriously.  I

tjohns01

I have a lot of friends in Florida that bought Coleman generators due to availability and price three years ago when Florida had a particularly bad rash of hurricanes. They are naturally loud and usually don't have the idle feature that you find on most Hondas but got the job done if they were only used for the power outages. My friends that tried to use them after the storms for construction and other relatively high use rates pretty much wore them out in a short period of time.

I sold my genset when I left Florida but when I buy a new one here in AZ while I am building my house I will probably get a Honda again just because it will see a lot of use. I kind of put generators in the same boat as power tools. I bought a lot of crappy ones over the years before I got smart and bought very good ones when I knew they would get a lot of use and only bought cheaper ones when I knew they would get light duty.

QUESTION: Does anyone here have any experience with or recommendations on mod sine wave inverters in the 2.5kw to 5kw range?

Thanks,
TJ

glenn-k

I had a 4KW one before I decided it was unsatisfactory and went to a 4 kw sine wave inverter - both were Trace.  I burned up tools -speed controls don't like them - pumped water inefficiently -got way more for same time with sine wave - there are other things to do - buy a module to smooth the pump - get a different pump etc. but I already had mine in the well at 320 feet and wanted the power for welders saws etc.

I recommend biting the bullet and holding out for a sine wave - a used one can be purchased for the price of a new modified sine wave inverter.

Just my opinion from experience.  You couldn't give me a modified sine wave inverter for my major use items and everyday living.   Occasional is OK-- I have a 2500 watt one I hook to my truck batteries once in a while but sine wave for everyday.

hnash53

Just a couple of comments.  I have a Coleman 3000 watt generator and it's great.  Never has failed to start in 5 years.

I must be something of a minimalist.  My electric power needs at our cabin are low compared to what I've been reading under this topic.  I have a solar panel that's about 18in x 24in that charges two deep cycle batteries.  I run a TV with vcr, a water pump, and a bunch of compact fluorescent lights with power to spare.  My fridge is propane along with my hot water heater, and I heat with a wood burning stove.

I am considering adding on to my cabin and living there fulltime in the next two years.  I've had such good performance from propane that I am considering getting a propane generator for larger loads in the future.  Questions:  Are they quiet?  What about starting in cold weather?  I live in Wyoming and the elevation is 8000-8500.

Thanks.

Hal

williet

I was looking at something to power a computer, freezer and fridg ... along with a few lights IF the power was out. It sounds like the 4KW will do the job for me. Will it?

glenn-k

Should be more than enough for the listed items.

williet

QuoteShould be more than enough for the listed items.
Thanks Glenn

glenn-k

I went one step farther.  Tried it here - http://www.generatorsales.com/calculator_GOOGLE.ASP

The below is based on two 75 lights - a very inefficient computer with printer, a freezer and fridge.  

I think everyone should switch to compact fluorescents - then you could have more like 12 lights running for the same power.  They are what I run at the underground complex

Watts        
Continous Rating       2700       
The power you need when all of your appliances have started and are running.

Surge Rating       4650       
The power you would need if all your appliances where to start at the same time.

Wattage Requirements       4050
Your average electric needs based on your continous and surge requirements.

williet

QuoteI went one step farther.  Tried it here - http://www.generatorsales.com/calculator_GOOGLE.ASP

The below is based on two 75 lights - a very inefficient computer with printer, a freezer and fridge.  

I think everyone should switch to compact fluorescents - then you could have more like 12 lights running for the same power.  They are what I run at the underground complex

Watts        
Continous Rating       2700       
The power you need when all of your appliances have started and are running.

Surge Rating       4650       
The power you would need if all your appliances where to start at the same time.

Wattage Requirements       4050
Your average electric needs based on your continous and surge requirements.

Thanks again,
If we jump it up to a 6KW, we should be more than safe. Around here, it would only be used maybe 4 days a year or so .... but if you need it ... you NEED it !!!

Amanda_931

4 days a year?

Generator powering batteries.  If you could be sure that the batteries were still working when you got there.

And somewhere along the line, if you added a solar system, you'd need a backup generator anyway.