Modern Pioneering???

Started by BiggKidd, April 06, 2008, 12:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottA

I'm not sure how they do things there but I was able to get an address through the people that run 911 emergency services. Here it is an ambulance company. I just called them, gave the address on either side of me and they gave me a address number. Seems to me if you have a camper on the property they must give you an address for 911 to use.

OldDog

The first people I had to deal with was the Property Valuation Office to get the address before I could get any utility work done.

After that they "kept the road hot" worried to death that I would do something they would forget to charge me taxes on!  So far they have missed 2 pole barns on the property because they do not get out of the car and look around.  Local Government at work.

Bruce
If you live a totally useless day in a totally useless manner you have learned how to live

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

BiggKidd

Hi All,

I just wanted to let you all know we are moving out to the land for good here in about nine days. Nickole and I took Kyrstin up to the school and got her enrolled in school. School there starts the 25th of this month. We have to be there by the 21st. for meet and greet the teachers etc.

I am not sure how long it will be until we have internet service again once we move. Thanks to all of you who gave advice along the way. I will try to keep notes on the building process. No more pictures until we get a new camera Savannah stepped on Nickoles and broke it. We have another old digital camera but I'm not sure it will work with my computer. Well I just checked the card and it does work so we will try and get pics too. That is if the computer will run off the inverter we have. It will still be a while before I can set up a computer there as space is limited.

On another note we took some timber to a local mill the other day, boy thats work. We have the same company comming out to give us an estimate on timbering about 8-9 acres along the front. The rest of what we want cleared we will do ourselves so we can clean out the stumps and stuff at the same time. What they are going to timber for us we are going to turn into pasture and the stumps can rot over time.

Once again I would like to thank all the people who make this such a great site. I will be back on a few more times before we leave on the 20th.

Larry Kidd
    and
   Family   
A hard life only makes you stronger.

Larry

glenn kangiser

That's great, Larry, Nickole and family.

We look forward to hearing of your progress whenever you can post.

There is stump remover that you can drill holes in the stump and pour in - Saltpeter- sodium or potassium nitrate - an oxidizer - it is an oxidizer and causes the stump to rot faster or if you add water int the holes and wait then light it when safe to do so. It will burn out clear under the ground.  Home depot has it. 

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Good news about the school. And you haven't even got a house yet.  I thought as much. 

Stop by the local library and use there computers if they have them.  Here alot of people do that some even on a daily basis. 

If you are ready for any material don't forget about the sale at Fishersville on 9/13.  If you do drop me a line and I'll buy you a dog and a coke.

Good Luck

BiggKidd

Thanks Glenn, and John

It is good news. I have been so worried she would have to go back to this school. Other good news I found someone to come get my old dump truck for scrap. It is to big for me to haul. I am going to pull the 50 gal. tank though and keep it. I sure could use the old truck but its just to expensive to fix. Its got a bastard engine and mount set up. Can only use an engine from 75-77 has front and rear mounts and no side mounts. A reman engine was close to $5000 and I have yet to find a good used one. So I guess it goes the way of the west....

Glenn,
I'll have to check out that stuff from Home Depot. 

John,

I'll try to see if I can make the auction but right now I doubt it.

Thanks
Larry

Larry

peternap

I heard from the Big Kidd a couple of days ago and he asked me to update his project. He's having trouble finding an internet location at the pioneer site. I told him about a spot about 5 miles away that had wireless he could use...so maybe soon, he'll be back.

I have to give him a big pat on the back. He jumped into this project and is making it work. He thinks he has a buyer for his house and they are already gone to the woods. [cool]

Anyway, here's what he sent:

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Redoverfarm

Peter if you talk with him again for what it is worth I got a letter from Direct Tv stateing that they now offer DSL on their system now. Seemed to be a better price than Hugh's Net.  Might be an option.

glenn kangiser

Thanks for the update and pix, Peter.  Good to hear from him.  Looks like he's getting a good start on making it work out.

ScottA

Great progress. I admire your spirit for roughing it while you build.  [cool]

BiggKidd

Hi Guys,

First I would like to thank Peter for posting those pics for me. Then to apoligize for not being on here to write myself, but computer time is short. We are currently in town getting our furniture and cleaning up our old home. When we leave tommorrow thats all she wrote... For a while anyway. I did find out from Nickole that the local library has computers on the net.  [cool] ON to whats going on.

We have been busy working to get ready for the winter. You know a warm dry place to rest the weary head. :) About the time we got the walls standing my wife comes to me with one of those wifly comments, and says couldn't you make it bigger if it was two stories? Well yes I said and then it was on. So what started out as a simple 12X24 addition to the camper is now a 12X24 with a 12X24 loft. d* We have no plan to work from no drawing or anything else.  ???  Anyway heres a shot with the rafters up, or going up.

And here is a shot of some fine finsh work.

;)
THis is out of order but shows you my best helper.

And last but far from least Nickole on the roof that thing is way to steep for me.

Ok I lied she did do the paper but the shingels are my job. Its taken me a week to get this far on one side.

Thats a 28ft. extension ladder out to the max and not quite tall enough, for the short side of the roof. :(

This is where we were at when we left this afternoon.

That second story window will become a door later. (When we get some extra money) The window belongs downstairs. LOL We needed a place to bring our bed etc. in. The loft is our bedroom. The furniture just wouldn't go up the loft ladder. >:( :) We have cut every corner we could find to save money on this project and you see what we have for the effort.

I would like to say thank you to Nickole and the kids for their help and putting up with me during this project. I will try to post more as we continue down the road.

Thanks
Larry

PS We are building without a permit so the building is on skids and poles. I'm not sure this would keep me out of trouble with the building inspecot or not but if it ever comes up I plan to play a dumb a$$. I do know that in most places in rural Va that a building on skids requires no permit. I also know that pole builings in our area require no permit. Know I know I am streaching things a bit but what the he__.  We are still going to build a house here at sometime in the future.

Larry

apaknad

good job larry and nicole. is the rv a permenent part of the house? i have heard about similar situations before but never actually seen one. pardon me for my lack of understanding.
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

glenn kangiser

Great job, Larry and Nickole and kids.

Keep the parasites off of your property.  Assessor never has permission unless you give it.  Building inspector does not unless you take out a permit and give him permission by your contract on the permit, or a proper court ordered warrant proving that you are harming the public wiith your house.  That is the legal part of it as I understand it.  That doesn't stop them from acting illegally.

http://www.landrights.com/

and you could try this posted in several places conspicuously.  :)  I just print it from my computer full size and laminate it then tack up the laminated copies.  Always more where they came from. :)

It does work here - at least the Sheriff's dept was afraid to admit they read it.

Note that you issue a invoice to the offending individual and take them to small claims court to collect your daily or part thereof land use fee.   That is a contract when they pass your sign. Like agreeing to the terms of software when you click I agree on software installations.  The laws they are breaking are federal and Constitutional.

All rights reserved gets you to Constitutional law rather than their ex-post-facto admiralty law common in the court that have the gold fringed flag which is not the United States official flag.  I need to study this better myself but it has worked here for me for about 7 years. 

Another similar sign a few miles down the road by a friend had the same effect.  The Sheriff pulled up - left and called an unmarked car to remove the sign before entering during a disturbance there.

soomb

great to see.  You are off and running.

Glenn_ what kind of success have you seen or heard about with that sign?  (you mentioned the local law)
Live- Phoenix, Relax- Payson

glenn kangiser

I updated the above post.

The Sheriff here during the fire pretended he didn't read it, but in the next couple minutes asked if I was Glenn which was posted on the text of the permission sign. 

The way I worded my permission notice he wasn't sure if I had included Sheriffs in the words emergency personnel and thought he may be held to the land use fee, I assume.  I mentioned that those who tried to remove me against my will were still responsible for the land use fee and prosecution per the applicable laws in the sign text. 

I wasn't going to hassle him but I was ticked at the ones who earlier removed me from my property by implying I had no choice and that I had to leave as he followed me out.

Redoverfarm

Larry I know it is a litle late to be giving you a little hint but if by chance you get back before doing the other side of the roof you could use your truck as an extension for your ladder.  By putting the base of the ladder in your truck bed it would probably elevate you to the peak.  The ladder would not kick out because it would be against the side wall or the cab wall. That is providing that you have access to pull your truck along side your house.

BTW you doing great.  If I wasn't up to my eyeballs in alligators I would give you a hand.

BiggKidd

HI Guys,

For now the camper is simi perminate. I can take it out later down the road though, nothing is attched to it. I left just enough space to get it out of there. Glenn thanks for the link. I printed up a few of those signs. John I have used the truck bed many times but thats not even tall enough here. But the bucket on my tractor goes up eight feet. Still though I am not sure that would be enough. But we will work something out. I understand the alligators nipping at your heels. 

Well its time to get busy.

See you guys later.
Larry

Larry

glenn kangiser

My pleasure, Larry.  I know you are going to be busy.  Check in when you can.

soomb

Quote from: Redoverfarm on September 20, 2008, 07:00:30 AM
  If I wasn't up to my eyeballs in alligators I would give you a hand.
??? Alligators... in WV... What have you done to the state since I left?
Live- Phoenix, Relax- Payson

glenn kangiser

It's great that you take time to let your kids help and learn, Larry and Nickole.

BiggKidd

Hi Guys,

Here at the local library for just a min. Thought I would drop in and say hi. Can't wait until we have a computer at home again. We are still working on the place a little every day. Everything we own has decided to break down though. :( Well thats not true the dump truck is still running and we finally got it down here this past weekend. My Dodge 4x4 has developed a bottom end knock and our van has issues it will start and run fine some days others it won't start at all. I think the mass air flow sensor has gone bad. When it rains it pours.

I need to see if they will let me put pictures on from here.  I can't wait till we can sit at home and have time on here again. Then I have lots of reading to do. I haven't gotten to see what you all have done in ages.

Have a good day
Larry

Larry

ScottA

Keep the faith Larry. It can only get better. I think it's great what you guys are doing. Looking forward to more pics.

glenn kangiser

Nice to hear form you, Larry.  Update us when you can.

John Raabe

What a project! Just popped in to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. Hope the house and kids are warm.

Best wishes for the season:

None of us are as smart as all of us.