Tools Necessary to Start Building?

Started by Miedrn, June 22, 2006, 03:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

The Amazon recon is about half price of new - it swivels the blade 360 degrees and rotates the whole end over 180 degrees -

They have a similar one that doesn't do all these things so make sure to get the Tiger Claw - same model.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

At the risk of reinforcing Glenn's opinion that he knows best,  :-/ I have to state that you will never be sorry that you bought the PC Tiger Claw. There's also nothing wrong with buying a reconditioned model; I did and it's wonderful. One thing I'd do is buy a good assortment of blades for it, both wood and metal cutting and of different lengths. This last week I made a miscalculation and found it much easier to cut five 16D ring shank nails rather than try to pull them.  :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

What can I say, Don.  When I'm right, I'm right. :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MarkAndDebbie

This circular saw looked like it was a deal. Thought someone might be interested
http://www.amazon.com/GMC-ACS15MAG-4-Inch-Circular-Laser/dp/B000EOMTPG?tag=slickdeals
Anyone own one - or any GMC saw?

MountainDon

Never heard of GMC power tools until now. But then I've been quite happy with my existing circular saws (7 1/4" Skilsaw and a 4 1/2" Porter Cable trim saw) for years and simply haven't bothered to look around.

However, looking over the specs on the GMC raised a question.

Who's used a saw with a guide laser? What do you think of it?

glenn-k

I have one I bought at a yard sale.  It was new - or used very little.  I was making ship lap boards and needed an extra one to set to half depth for one cut so I wouldn't have to keep reseting the other one, so didn't care about brand or quality.  

I had never heard of GMC for tools either.  I don't have any complaints - haven't used it real heavy.

williet

QuoteThis circular saw looked like it was a deal. Thought someone might be interested
http://www.amazon.com/GMC-ACS15MAG-4-Inch-Circular-Laser/dp/B000EOMTPG?tag=slickdeals
Anyone own one - or any GMC saw?
I've got 3 circular saws today. A Mikita 7 1/4" that I've had 10 or so years...been a good one. A Dewalt DW368K, 7 1/4", powerful and will cut about anything, but has some weight to it....and my favorite for all day use...a Ridgid 6 1/2" framing saw. This little thing is wonderful. Easy to use, cuts smooth and clean and it is light enough to not be trouble to hold all day.

To each his own, but until there is a light worm drive, I'll continue to use the Ridgid 6 1/2" for most things. The Dewalt will do what the Ridgid can't handle.

StinkerBell

peter_nap

I agree with Glenn about the type of saw but I will never trade my Dewalts. They just hold up better. (Cost more too) :-[
[highlight]Ossama has one of those[/highlight]\

Isn't he running for President? Black fellow....looks a little light in his slippers :o

glenn-k

Somehow that guy only makes me think of Little Richard singing Bama Lama, Bama Loo. ::)

argalax

See if this is helpful: Tools for building a small cabin.

Regarding power tools, the key is whether you are off-grid or serviced.

MountainDon

QuoteRegarding power tools, the key is whether you are off-grid or serviced.
...or if you own a generator and how big?

For me, being off grid simply means a generator is at the top of my list of power tools needed.

My Yamaha 2800i runs everything I've tried, including my RV A/C. The bigger items, one at a time. The nice thing about and the Honda inverter generators is they power down when the load is removed or reduced. I have not bothered to try staring my big compressor with a 5 HP motor as I'm certain the initial surge would overcome the Yamaha. It does run the Porter Cable pancake compressor with no problem.

FrankInWIS

my wife wants the up north step ladder returned to the main home.  I had been eying th Little Giant type ladder for a while, but pricey.  I heard the patent on their special hinge was expired and others were making good copies.   Through tomorrow at Home Depot, they have the 21' Gorrilla version (talk about a marketing gimick being capitalized on!) is on sale for $129.00!!!!!   Store #1 was out, but they looked in computer and store #2 had plenty.  I bought it.

glenn kangiser

glenn kangiser

Ryobi Lithium - backward compatible with all 18v 1+ tools  2x to 4x the power for a bit more cost.  Home Depot.

Flash video ad.  http://www.ryobitools.com/lithium/

mikkelibob

I'm glad to see someone with more building experience recommend the ryobi. I love my set. I've even bought some of the weirder things, like the fan (I go to sleep with a fan on those hot & still summer nights camping) and the dustbuster. I frequently use the sawzal with a good wood blade when I need to trim some branches. I've even taken out huge cedars (30'+ tall, but no single trunk more than 5") crowding out the live oaks with it; where my chainsaw would have been tricky. The normal saws and such work fine for basic carpentry stuff. All in all I've been extremely pleased with these my "light duty" ryobi tools. And yes, the lithium is indeed an improvement.

glenn kangiser

I also bought the Chainsaw - slow speed chain but it works fine. The small impact for screws and bolt and small assembly or installation work - up to about 3/8 lags, angle drill - didn't use it much , air compressor, hammer drill, 4 1/2 inch angle metal grinder.

All work well.  If batteries are unused for a while it takes multiple charges to get them back up to full capacity, so I keep quite a few extra and the double charger.  Haven't sprung for the lithium yet.

considerations

Let's see if anyone answers this.  Ok, I'm a girl.  I've found I last longer running a battery operated drill than swinging a hammer.  What are the pros and cons of building with screws instead of nails?  It's a lot easier to fix a mistake by backing out a screw than trying to dig a nail out.  Even with a cat's paw I still can do bad things to the wood....   

MountainDon

I'd rather use my Ryobi battery operated drill than hand hammer nails too, but that's partly because I don't do it everyday, and my arm's not used to it.  ::)

However, for general framing construction nails are much better. The reason is mainly that those readily available deck type screws are harder than nails and tend to break off when subjected to sheer loads. nails will bend.

Screws have their places in securing some things, but not for framing.

You could always have a look at a pancake air compressor and an air nailer. Be careful with them. They can make the work go easier though.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Welcome to the forum, considerations w*

We will talk to girls -- no problem. :)  We have lots of 'em here.

Screws are nice for many applications, except the ones where shrinkage or movement will shear them.  Code will not allow them in applications where that is a problem.

Screws are much harder than nails and grip better causing them to break rather than give in problem applications.

You might like a palm nailer and compressor to prevent fatigue -- still need to aim accurately though.  :)

MountainDon

Quote from: considerations on April 12, 2008, 10:50:25 PM
Let's see if anyone answers this. 
There! 2 answers within a minute of each other!! :o ...and within 7 minutes of you post!

That doesn't always happen.

glenn kangiser

I finally got out the  credit card and sprung for the Ryobi 18V Lithium kit with the light, drill, 2 batteries and combo charger for $179.

I already have most of the Ryobi 18V tools with the NiCads and Ryobi is really serving the customer by making their One Plus line fully backward and forward compatible by making all of their 18V stuff work together with NiCads or Lithium Ion batteries.

The only exception is that the old chargers for NiCad will not charge the Lithium batteries, but the Lithium charger will charge the NiCads.

Nice feature on the Lithium batteries is the tester on each battery showing the state of charge with colored lights when you push the test button.  Fast charge time --- seemed to be around 1/2 hour or so the first time.

MountainDon

Yep, they're good!

Backwards compatible is all you can really expect, and that is much appreciated.

considerations

Quote from: glenn kangiser on April 12, 2008, 10:57:43 PM
Welcome to the forum, considerations w*

We will talk to girls -- no problem. :)  We have lots of 'em here.

Screws are nice for many applications, except the ones where shrinkage or movement will shear them.  Code will not allow them in applications where that is a problem.

Screws are much harder than nails and grip better causing them to break rather than give in problem applications.

You might like a palm nailer and compressor to prevent fatigue -- still need to aim accurately though.  :)

I'm glad you'll talk to girls. 

I appreciate the straight answer to what is clearly a construction 101a question. 

This is on H--- of an undertaking.  I got the power shed up, and an office weather tight... but a house?  Finish work?  Ok.....Mostly I just want to get dry in by October, that's when the rain starts here, and boy does it rain. 

Maybe I'll use a screw to tack things so they hold still at first.  Sometimes those frame walls are hard to hold in place with one hand and nail with the other, without them moving on you.  I know about the bracing, but a well placed screw is like a third hand sometimes.  Guess I'll just have to start pumping iron so my hammer arm lasts longer.  ::)

I've had a little experience with nail guns...my son shot himself with one, fortunately he missed (I don't know how) every bone in his wrist, but it was a little tense while the docs decided how to proceed.  So, I have a healthy respect for them. Guess they call them a "gun" for good reason. 

I've also heard lumber prices are falling through the floor here. 

So, the water is in, the phone line and fiber optics buried....now the house site needs to be leveled.  I'm still pondering the foundation.  The office is post and pier, but the house is heavier...I'm still studying the literature I received with the plans and this site.  This is earthquake territory.

glenn kangiser

Forget if you said where you are -- we like to see your location area in your signature if you can put it there so we know what you are dealing with.

Many who don't want a real nail gun are very happy with a palm nailer.  It drives one nail at a time and uses regular nails but does the hammering for you safely.