Exterior paint

Started by Dave Sparks, February 19, 2018, 05:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Sparks

Anyone use an Elastomeric paint exterior paint? Comments welcome!  d*

This one is by Kelly Moore and it is
1128 KEL-SEAL Urethane Modified Acrylic Elastomeric Coating
Product Description
A premium quality, urethane modified acrylic, exterior elastomeric coating. Features waterproofing, excellent film
strength, elasticity, elongation, bridging of hairline cracks and fade resistance. Designed for concrete, concrete
block, stucco and masonry surfaces, also suitable for use on primed wood and metal. Excellent for commercial
and residential application.
Performance Features
 Improved Color Retention & Fade Resistance
 Improved Adhesion & Blister Resistance
 Reduced Dirt Pick-up & Surface Tack
 Improved Mildew, Fungus & Algae Resistance
 Low Odor and VOC
 Easy Soap & Water Clean Up
Compliance - Performance - Certification
 Meets Green Seal GS-11 VOC Limits
 Meets LEED EQ Credit 4.2 VOC Limits
 Meets CARB VOC Limits
 Meets SCAQMD VOC Limits
 Meets National AIM VOC Limits
Product Specifications
Resin Type: Urethane Modified Acrylic
Color Range: White, custom colors
Finish:
Drying Time:
(75º F. & 50% R.H.)
Flat <3 @ 60°
(MPI Gloss Level 1)
To touch: 2 hours
To recoat 24 hours.
Practical coverage: Approx. 80-100 sq ft/gallon
Recommended Dry
Film Thickness:
Wet: 16 – 20 mils per coat
Dry: 8.0 - 10.0 mils per coat
Weight per Gallon: 10.6 lbs.
Solids by Weight: 61%
Solids by Volume: 50%
Viscosity: 116 -121 KU
Shelf Life: 2 years (unopened containers)
Sizes: One & five gallon containers
V.O.C. <50 Grams per liter
Clean Up: Water
Test Data:
Elongation at Break @ 25° C. (ASTM D2370): 320%
Elongation at Break @ 0° C. (ASTM D2370): 180%
"we go where the power lines don't"

hpinson

I have, on wood trim around windows on south and southwest exposed adobe/ stucco walls that are very sun exposed, in New Mexico. It has held up extremely well, over six years now since I applied it. It expands and contracts well with big temperature swings, without cracking. I was having to repaint before that every two years.  The paint was very expensive. The brand was Sherman Williams, but I can't remember the product name.

People use it extensively here over stucco coated adobe walls, but I personally think that is a disaster, as it does not allow the adobe to breath as it should. It is also used on flat roofs, but that is not a good application for it either.

JRR

I've used Sherman Williams paints for decades and decades ... before I finally noticed on the side of a truck driving by that the name had been misspelled.  It was erroneously spelled "Sherwin-Williams".   About sixty years old was I.

LOL.

Dave Sparks

This will be composite cement lap siding. The Brand is a very old west coast brand that the pros use. The old Kelly Moore semi gloss 100% acrylic is in decent shape after 12 years but the plywood under the eaves needs it this year.

I just can't find much about it on their site or in searches.

The guy I am going to hire to spray it is the best in our county, and that is all he uses.

I used an Elastomeric by Gaco on my deck. It was particle board and we were going to put a texture asphalt or cement cover over it. Winter was coming and the contractor was a jerk.  I rolled a gallon of the Gaco on and textured it with filler. It is a covered deck 100% under the eaves that gets rain and snow on it. It is 14 years old and is still perfect. The guys at Gaco said this would not last more than 5 years.... That is why I probably will use
the Kelly Moore 1128 KEL-SEAL Urethane Modified Acrylic Elastomeric Coating. Hopefully California won't ban it......

Thanks for the comments so far. Keep them coming until April :)

"we go where the power lines don't"

hpinson

HAHAHA. Did I type Sherman?   :)  :-[

JRR

I still pronounce it "Sherman", ...unless I'm really attentive.